Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who will be better Tabata or Mcutchen (Andrew)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:13 pm 

I'll guess Tabata. Who do you think?

Post subject: Re: Who will be better Tabata or Mcutchen (Andrew)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:13 pm 

The safer bet is McCutchen, since he has great physical tools and is performing well in AAA at a very young age (21). His peformance is pretty remarkable, since he is one of the youngest players in the league, if not the youngest.

I would therefore say A. McCutchen at this point. Tabata is probably the youngest player in AA (19), but may need to repeate that level next year. His performance needs to be judged based on the fact that he is a teenager, competing against men, but given their relative success, McCutchen is further along and the safer bet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:32 pm 

From what little I've seen, I'm slightly leaning towards Tabata. But really, I know nothing.

All talk I've seen regarding prospects has been about these two guys. Are they the only two we're looking to bring up at any point in the near future?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:32 pm 

To be honest I don't even think Tabata is in the near future.
And as for anyone else we could bring up. Huntington said that of the 8 guys we got in the trades all 8 are in the top 10 prospects in the franchise. So I would guess Olednorf or other Mcutchen. would be next.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:18 pm 

I'll throw a real wild card out there...I think that Shelby Ford could have more success than either. I know what Ford has against him (he is 23 years old at AA), but he has a pretty clear shot to the majors. Freddy isn't going to be here forever and given Sanchez's play this year, he may not hold up against a challenge. Ford is a switch hitter with gap power (he has quite a few doubles and triples this year, which will translate into HR's in the next few years) with potential 15-20 HR per year pop. He has a decent eye with an OBP over .360 right now and has a decent BA. The outfield is crowded, so there will be less need to push McCutchen or Tabata, allowing Ford to possibly leapfrog Cutch and continue past Tabata.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:38 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
I'll throw a real wild card out there...I think that Shelby Ford could have more success than either. I know what Ford has against him (he is 23 years old at AA), but he has a pretty clear shot to the majors. Freddy isn't going to be here forever and given Sanchez's play this year, he may not hold up against a challenge. Ford is a switch hitter with gap power (he has quite a few doubles and triples this year, which will translate into HR's in the next few years) with potential 15-20 HR per year pop. He has a decent eye with an OBP over .360 right now and has a decent BA. The outfield is crowded, so there will be less need to push McCutchen or Tabata, allowing Ford to possibly leapfrog Cutch and continue past Tabata.

That is just stupid no way shelby ford is better then andrew mcctuchen who will be starting next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 pm 

Ryann wrote:
That is just stupid no way shelby ford is better then andrew mcctuchen who will be starting next year.

Isn't McCutchen catcher? I know there's no way we're getting rid of Doumit, so what would the lineup look like?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:02 pm 

Quote:

I wouldn't say it's stupid. It's an opinion. If everyone had the same opinion there wouldn't be much reason for message boards.
So um....who's Shelby Ford?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 pm 

McCutchen is an OFer, probably the starting CFer next season...

Ford is the one of the few 2B prospects in the minors right now, and if Freddy doesnt get it together, Ford will be here soon

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 am 

Ryann wrote:

:roll: Anyhow, I said it was a wild card. With Moss, McLouth and Pearce there is no need for McCutchen to come up right away (although Pearce certainly is having his struggles hitting right now). Ford only has Freddy Sanchez in his way, and his struggles this year could lead to an opening for Ford. Cutch has hardly flourished this year, although it hasn't been bad a season so far but I haven't seen that 'IT' factor that fellow draftees from 2005 have displayed (Braun, Gordon, Zimmerman, Upton and Bruce for example).

Also, in the future you don't have to be so crude by calling someone's opinion 'stupid'. It's fine that you don't agree, but show some class dude. The one thing that this board has that is better than most is the fact that there is respectful (for the most part) discussions without personal attacks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 am 

The guy I am really following close on first inning is the Pitt guy, Jim Negrych. He has hit everywhere he has played so far. They have him at third right now but he played second quite a bit in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:15 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The guy I am really following close on first inning is the Pitt guy, Jim Negrych. He has hit everywhere he has played so far. They have him at third right now but he played second quite a bit in the past.

Hmm, he has an OPS of .937 in the minors. Not bad, considering that's better than any batter on the Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:15 am 

yeknom02 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Hmm, he has an OPS of .937 in the minors. Not bad, considering that's better than any batter on the Pirates.

Yes, but that's inflated by a super high batting average, one that is not likely sustainable in the higher levels of the minors. Negrych has a fine batting eye, but he has no power to speak of. At best he's a candidate for 2B. I'll root for him, but I can't say I'm optimistic about his chances in the bigs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:49 pm 

Willton wrote:
Yes, but that's inflated by a super high batting average, one that is not likely sustainable in the higher levels of the minors. Negrych has a fine batting eye, but he has no power to speak of. At best he's a candidate for 2B. I'll root for him, but I can't say I'm optimistic about his chances in the bigs.

He hits quite a few doubles (40 this year in 433 at-bats), and he also has a good walk total (62). His .443 OBP is ridiculous. And he is slugging nearly .500, due to the very high average and doubles. He is actually one of the better hitting prospects for the Pirates.

http://tinyurl.com/5l684q

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 pm 
It's so hard to predict this type of stuff with prospects who haven't faced ML pitching yet because it's not just about talent, it's about how that talent will continue to progress. It could go either way, but if I had to pick, I'd say McCutchen has a better chance of being a quality major leaguer.

My reasoning is that both obviously have physical skills, but Tabata seems to be a little bit more of a head case that McCutchen (I've never heard those types of reports about him, atcually). So there's always a chance attitude/motivation/behavior derails talent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:10 pm 

Tabata is kicking butt in the minors. Maybe having a Pearce experience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:19 pm 

Maybe getting away from the "Evil Empire" will do his character some good. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:34 am 

Ryann wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

Don't bet on that. Next year is still a long way off, but if the season was starting tomorrow, I'd start him off in AAA again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:45 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

Don't bet on that. Next year is still a long way off, but if the season was starting tomorrow, I'd start him off in AAA again.

You said exactly what I was going to say Sisyphus. I wouldn't bank on him being in Pittsburgh in April.