Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PG mailbag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:28 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08223/903175-139.stm

Quote:
At least you lowered the payroll. That should make the Nuttings very happy.
Pirates fans have been waiting for 15 years. It looks like we'll be waiting another 15 years

If management doesn't care, why should the fans? My recommendation to the fans is to reciprocate to management by not buying any more tickets to the games. Season ticket holders should ask for a refund. If management doesn't care, why should you?

Post subject: Re: PG mailbag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:54 pm 

So you'd rather have Bay and Nady back and have us still be struggling to win .500? I'd rather be in a position where an over-.500 season isn't a fluke. Everyone keeps talking about how management has sucked over the past fifteen years, but we've only had our current manager for less than one. He's looking to the future (and a team caliber that would be sustainable) rather than trying to perform miracles.

The results of these late trades are already paying off. Karstens' near-perfect shutout. Moss' diving catch to help shut out the Phillies in extra innings on Friday. The way I see it, the entire Pirates franchise (not just the MLB team) has been in shambles for years, and Huntington is doing great things to replenish it.

The only way that NH can fail me this year is by failing to sign Alvarez. Locking him up would convince me that we're finally moving on from the horrible management o the past 15 years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:57 pm 

Just some pics of the guy we traded to Boston:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:12 pm 

I go because I love the game, my city and my team. I could care less about owners that I never see or that will never throw a pitch, take a swing or field a ball.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:27 pm 

yeknom02 wrote:
So you'd rather have Bay and Nady back and have us still be struggling to win .500? I'd rather be in a position where an over-.500 season isn't a fluke. Everyone keeps talking about how management has sucked over the past fifteen years, but we've only had our current manager for less than one. He's looking to the future (and a team caliber that would be sustainable) rather than trying to perform miracles.

The results of these late trades are already paying off. Karstens' near-perfect shutout. Moss' diving catch to help shut out the Phillies in extra innings on Friday. The way I see it, the entire Pirates franchise (not just the MLB team) has been in shambles for years, and Huntington is doing great things to replenish it.

The only way that NH can fail me this year is by failing to sign Alvarez. Locking him up would convince me that we're finally moving on from the horrible management o the past 15 years.

I don't know if you can say the trade is already paying off. Karstens has been great, but any improvements the new guys have brought have been more than offset by the noticeable decline in offensive production since Bay and Nady left. The Pirates were sixth in the majors in runs scored before the Nady trade; they've fallen to 13th since.

I'm not saying the trades weren't good, just that we won't know whether they worked out for a couple seasons. I've been torn about the trades, but NH has decided on a plan and is going with it, and you have to respect that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 pm 

I'm trying to give these trades a chance....but honestly, it seems to be playing out the way the trades in the past have. We've traded our big bats away for prospects.....and the rest of this year is looking like a long one. I was hoping we wouldn't have another 100 loss season, but I don't know, now.

The prospects may or may not pan out.....but right now this team can't hit their way out of a wet paper bag. I mean, when Bay and Nady left they are not even fun to watch. Before, even down 5-0, you felt they had a chance. Now, if they are down by 2 the game is as good as over.

I think we may have returned to the halcyon days of Rick Rhoden, where we lost a lot of one run games.

I hope this deal works out, but based on our history, I gotta tell you I am discouraged at this point. I don't care how good Altoona and Hickory get, I need to see some results on the big league level.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
The prospects may or may not pan out.....but right now this team can't hit their way out of a wet paper bag. I mean, when Bay and Nady left they are not even fun to watch. Before, even down 5-0, you felt they had a chance. Now, if they are down by 2 the game is as good as over.

Very true. Without any big stars, it is hard to get excited about the remainder of the season. Yeah, they weren't going anywhere, but Bay and Nady were fun to watch this year.

Like I said, depending on the day, I'm up or down on the trades. I was originally psyched about the Bay trade, mostly because of Moss, whom I watched a bit in Boston. It seemed like he was going to be solid. I know he's only had 30 or so ABs so far for the Pirates, but man, he's been a huge disappointment offensively. Hopefully he'll be a 4th outfielder in three years behind Tabata, McCutchen, and McLouth.