Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Trade Jack Wilson!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:09 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
You don't have to buy it, but it's true. Moneyball was not about on base percentage. Moneyball was about identifying skills that were undervalued in the marketplace.

Yes, it was. Anyone who read the book fully understands this. My point was about Beane's current "strategy."
Whether Beane has now shifted his focus because he believes that defense is undervalued or his players have not done as he anticipated is a completely different issue. I don't buy the notion that Beane remains "ahead of the curve" and is building a winner by focusing on defense. Again, IMO, there is a fair amount of Beane Kool-Aid being consumed by a lot of people.

Ah, I see. I have my doubts about that myself. I don't think that defense is undervalued. It may be cheap, but I doubt it's undervalued, because pitching is more than 90% of defense, and pitching ain't cheap at all. Sooner or later you have to score some runs. Going for defensive guys might make a decent stopgap if you have young pitchers and a bunch of hitters in the minor league pipeline, though. Maybe that's what he's up to.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Not saying that he's an idiot. Far from it. But I remain wholly unconvinced that Beane is the genius that others have annoited him to be.

I don't know if he's a genius or not. I just know that he's a lot smarter than the typical kind of GM we saw in baseball through the 1990s.

Post subject: Re: Trade Jack Wilson!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:53 pm 

No. 9, I see it a lot like you do. I think Beane is smart, but I don't view him as a genius. His way isn't the only way to evaluate talent in my opinion. That's not to say he's not a great GM, he certainly is. But like all people, he has his flaws too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7