Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting Article
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:07 pm 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3525035&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Post subject: Re: Interesting Article
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:14 pm 

This article never happens if the returning parts in the 2 deals haven't had a positive impact already. The ESPN "experts" had it wrong on both counts and now this is their way of saying "sorry". The Nady deal to NY has turned out much better than expected from the Pirates side and if Nady returns to his normal self, it will be a steal on the Pirates side. Bay to Boston was also an even trade if not an ouright win for the Pirates so far. ESPN must realize there are more than 4 MLB teams out there with competent GMs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:20 pm 

Nice article. Thanks for the heads-up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:02 pm 

Very good article.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:04 pm 

"When you trade the known for the unknown, it always unsettles people,'' he said. "It's always unnerving, and it's very easy to trash the unknown when you can look at Xavier Nady, Damaso Marte and Jason Bay and see how they're performing."

It's as if NH was responding to every post I made about the Nady trade. Ok Neal, you win, I'll drink the Kool-Aid...for now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:26 pm 

Neal Huntington looks like he's on Myspace? ESPN, sometimes your writers astonish me... Where does good sports journalism live?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:47 pm 

preach1 wrote:
The Nady deal to NY has turned out much better than expected from the Pirates side and if Nady returns to his normal self, it will be a steal on the Pirates side.

Just what is Nady's "normal" self?
Is his "normal" when he was platooned and hidden from right handed pitchers or is his "normal" when he plays every day?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:57 pm 

The Nady of today is a proven every-day hitter against both lefties and righties. The part that he has still left to prove is that he can keep his legs healthy over the long haul. So far this year he has done a good job at that, but will it last?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:21 pm 

yeknom02 wrote:
Neal Huntington looks like he's on Myspace? ESPN, sometimes your writers astonish me... Where does good sports journalism live?

I think ESPN's writers are contractually obligated to include at least one fruity reference like this per column. Gene Wojciechowski actually gets paid based on the number of fruity references he makes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:02 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
yeknom02 wrote:

I think ESPN's writers are contractually obligated to include at least one fruity reference like this per column. Gene Wojciechowski actually gets paid based on the number of fruity references he makes.

A "fruity" reference? It's a joke about how young NH looks. What makes it "fruity"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 pm 

Willton wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:
yeknom02 wrote:

A "fruity" reference? It's a joke about how young NH looks. What makes it "fruity"?

It's a throwaway pop culture reference that's not particularly funny or well thought out. It follows a pretty well worn device used by most of EPSN's regular columnists.

Maybe you find it hilarious, in which case, go you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:51 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
It's a throwaway pop culture reference that's not particularly funny or well thought out. It follows a pretty well worn device used by most of EPSN's regular columnists.

Maybe you find it hilarious, in which case, go you.

I see. I was always under the impression that "fruity" meant something else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:24 pm 

Yeah, in this case I was using "fruity" to imply lack of substance, not an alternative lifestyle. Sorry to all if there was confusion (I don't use emoticons, but if I did I'd put one in that indicated sarcasm here).