Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doug M & Jay Mike
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:17 pm 

What a find those two guys have been. Their feistiness, attitude, and talent have lit a fire in this team that I have not seen in a Bucco team in many years. I, along with many fans, love these guys.

I hope they can keep them around here for a few years. What are you guys hearing? Will they be back? I sure hope so.

Post subject: Re: Doug M & Jay Mike
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:08 pm 
Steve1118 wrote:
What a find those two guys have been. Their feistiness, attitude, and talent have lit a fire in this team that I have not seen in a Bucco team in many years. I, along with many fans, love these guys.

I hope they can keep them around here for a few years. What are you guys hearing? Will they be back? I sure hope so.

I hope and think they will keep Menky around. I'd like to see Michaels stay, too, but with McCutchen on the horizon and Bautista now a utility guy, I don't see them keeping Michaels too (unless the move Bautista).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:27 pm 

Michaels has a club option at 2.2 million. If I were the Pirates, I would consider picking that up and offering Minky a two-year deal at about $2 million a year. These guys are worth it because they are professional hitters and the clubhouse presence. Plus they both are very flexible. Minky can play seven positions and Michaels all three outfield positions. Let go of Gomez after the season and let Bautista replace him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:47 pm 
bucco boy wrote:
Michaels has a club option at 2.2 million. If I were the Pirates, I would consider picking that up and offering Minky a two-year deal at about $2 million a year. These guys are worth it because they are professional hitters and the clubhouse presence. Plus they both are very flexible. Minky can play seven positions and Michaels all three outfield positions. Let go of Gomez after the season and let Bautista replace him.

Didn't realize Michales had a 2.2 club option. Given that, I agree. And I agree 10fold about Menky.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm 

Elmer wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Didn't realize Michales had a 2.2 club option. Given that, I agree. And I agree 10fold about Menky.

I'm afraid I don't understand what a club option is. (I know extremely little about how the game is played off the field.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:07 pm 

A club option basically means the team has the option to activate a contract for next season. Most of the time if they don't, there is a buyout meaning the team has to pay the player not to activate the contract.

In Michaels case, he doesn't have a choice. If the Pirates activate the option, he is a Pirate next season and get a guaranteed $2.6 million. (thought it was $2.2, but I looked it up for the buyout) If they don't, he is a free agent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 pm 

I definitely want to see Minky back. He is just a flat-out good baseball player, plus you gotta love his passion and determination. Michaels is also a good fit for the bench next year, as is Bautista.

Gomez (the singles machine) and Rivas are expendable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am 
Ralphie wrote:

I agree, though they will need a Gomez-type utility infielder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:17 am 

Elmer wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Listen to you, the guy who openly criticized NH for acquiring Gomez to be said utility infielder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:54 am 
Willton wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Listen to you, the guy who openly criticized NH for acquiring Gomez to be said utility infielder.

Strawman, much? I criticized NH for ONLY acquiring Gomez. My criticism was of the lack of moves last offseason, not of Gomez himself. I saw a deep need for everyday bats, bullpen help, rotation help and bench help. I criticized the GM for ONLY addressing the bench.