Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: They stink
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 am 

The team will never win unless they raise the payroll. If they reload and have all this young talent that has a ton of potential what happens next? When this talent demands more money how will they decide what to do? The payroll needs a boost of like 20 million so the team can at least be competitive. The whole Pirates is all money, and the owners wont bother raising the payroll as long as they get the nice profit. The team is terrible they have lost what 8 of their last 10? No pitching very little offense now, and the team needs to sign the decent freeagent not 33 up players at high salary but younger guys especially a star pitcher.

Its just sad how one team loses this much over such a long period of time. Other teams complain cause their teams cant win the world series (cubs and former red sox) but at least those fans have a winning team to root for that plays hard and shows they actually care about winning. I think the team the pirates have really just stop caring further into the season and that is why they cant stay close to 500 down the stretch. Im sick of waiting since i was born there hasnt been a winning season for the pirates. Baseball in Pittsburgh is going to die soon because young fans dont even care about the pirates. Im a teen and friends and such of mine dont care about the pirates. Pittsburgh loves the Steelers that will always be the top team but if a team is a contender and has star players much like the penguins the city will get a new interest. Another problem of Baseball is why is there no salary cap? The players can make outragous demands and a team like the yankees will be willing to pay it. Leaving small market teams with no chance to compete.

Post subject: Re: They stink
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:12 am 

Ryann wrote:
The team will never win unless they raise the payroll. If they reload and have all this young talent that has a ton of potential what happens next? When this talent demands more money how will they decide what to do?

Go ask Billy Beane, he usually fields a competitive team with a payroll on par with the Pirates, and he has the same problem with his stars leaving (Giambi, Tejada, Zito, Hudson, Mulder). Or ask the Marlins, who won in '03 and are within 1.5 games of first place with a payroll of $20 million. Or ask the Rays. You don't need a huge payroll to field a competitive team.

If/when the Pirates start winning again, people will care about them. It happened in Detroit. It happened in Pittsburgh with the Penguins.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:41 am 

Ryann wrote:
The team will never win unless they raise the payroll. If they reload and have all this young talent that has a ton of potential what happens next? When this talent demands more money how will they decide what to do? The payroll needs a boost of like 20 million so the team can at least be competitive. The whole Pirates is all money, and the owners wont bother raising the payroll as long as they get the nice profit. The team is terrible they have lost what 8 of their last 10? No pitching very little offense now, and the team needs to sign the decent freeagent not 33 up players at high salary but younger guys especially a star pitcher.

Its just sad how one team loses this much over such a long period of time. Other teams complain cause their teams cant win the world series (cubs and former red sox) but at least those fans have a winning team to root for that plays hard and shows they actually care about winning. I think the team the pirates have really just stop caring further into the season and that is why they cant stay close to 500 down the stretch. Im sick of waiting since i was born there hasnt been a winning season for the pirates. Baseball in Pittsburgh is going to die soon because young fans dont even care about the pirates. Im a teen and friends and such of mine dont care about the pirates. Pittsburgh loves the Steelers that will always be the top team but if a team is a contender and has star players much like the penguins the city will get a new interest. Another problem of Baseball is why is there no salary cap? The players can make outragous demands and a team like the yankees will be willing to pay it. Leaving small market teams with no chance to compete.

read this

http://knowledge.wpcarey.asu.edu/articl ... cleid=1353

read it again. It explains the "love" fans have, but also explains the falling out of love and the reason why teams like the Pirates follow the new economic model in which as long as the league as a whole does well, empty seats and winning dont matter. Read that a couple times.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:01 pm 

I totally agree about young people not being into the Pirates as much. A lot of the die-hard fans are older people who grew up at a time when baseball was the clear #1 sport in America and can actually remember a time when the Pirates were competitive. For younger people in their teens and early twenties, of which I am one, we don't have nearly the same attachment. Sure we still like the team and follow them because they are Pittsburgh but it's only natural that constant losing will make fans apathetic. It's definitely something that ownership should be thinking about.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:02 pm 

Since that is the case -- I am proud to say that I am one of the younger-20 year olds that is absolutely obsessed with the Bucs!

Let's just hope they can put it together soon -- I believe in Neal!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:22 pm 
JFlash02 wrote:
Since that is the case -- I am proud to say that I am one of the younger-20 year olds that is absolutely obsessed with the Bucs!

Let's just hope they can put it together soon -- I believe in Neal!

So glad to hear that, Flash! We need more of you.

Glad you are a believer in Neal, but you'll have to be a believer in more than that. Neal can't work miracles - if he needs a bigger commitment from Nutting. There are signs we're headed that way, but we're not there yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:24 pm 

I'm on the exact same page as JFlash02, and I'm 24. Does that still count as "younger-20?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm 

Dear God, until now I considered myself to be in the same "class" as 20-somethings...and I'm pushing 28. And now 24 is no longer considered "younger 20's"??? Sheesh, I guess I have to join the "old" Pirates fans club now and sit around and talk about the good ol' days...of 1992.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:50 pm 

BBF wrote:
Dear God, until now I considered myself to be in the same "class" as 20-somethings...and I'm pushing 28. And now 24 is no longer considered "younger 20's"??? Sheesh, I guess I have to join the "old" Pirates fans club now and sit around and talk about the good ol' days...of 1992.

I'm in the same boat BBF, I turn 28 in Ocotober and remember the good ol days of the Pirates

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:13 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
BBF wrote:

I'm in the same boat BBF, I turn 28 in Ocotober and remember the good ol days of the Pirates

Damn, we have a lot of 27-year-olds. I turn 28 in January.

As for me, I remember the good old day of the Pirates, as my first Buccos game was in 1991 (I was 9) and I didn't go to another one until 2005.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:50 pm 

I turn 30 in two months and my recollections of the "glory" days of the early 90s' keeps getting fuzzier... :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
I turn 30 in two months and my recollections of the "glory" days of the early 90s' keeps getting fuzzier... :(

My recollections of the true glory days of the 1970s are as clear as a bell.

I guess there must be something to those stories I keep hearing about weed being way stronger nowadays. :lol: