Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smizik's Latest Diatribe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 am 

How many people want to bet that He-who-has-shit-in-his-name wants to post this article?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08218/901899-63.stm

I love how Smizik thinks this team was "almost winning" with Nady and Bay, even though the Bucs were 14.5 games out of first place in the division.

I also love this quote:
Quote:
We believe -- although we don't agree with his strategy -- general manager Neil Huntington made these trades to improve the team in the long term. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

Who's "we?" Honestly, who the hell does Smizik speak for? Yinzer Nation?

Post subject: Re: Smizik's Latest Diatribe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 am 

Econo, you may be on to something here, posting negative PPG articles before a certain asswipe does. There's a clinical name for that type of strategy, but I'm having a senior moment.

Smizik is an ass. While the PPG is busy negating with dinosaur columnists such as Collier, Smizik, and to a lesser extent Cook, the Trib Review is printing stuff like this:

From todays Trib, Covering your bases: A's, Pirates load up talent

Newspapers offer me the chance to read the sports page on my commute into Pittsburgh, you can guess which newspaper I buy.

Last edited by Argentum on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 am 

Willton wrote:
Who's "we?" Honestly, who the hell does Smizik speak for? Yinzer Nation?

Smizik and He Who Has Shit In His Name were probably sitting at home watching the game together and were discussing another way to annoy the diehard fans who are actually finally seeing a changing of the guard in Pittsburgh Baseball

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:33 am 

Thanks for a morning laugh.
In regards to Smiziks article, should the Pirates just pay whatever this guy wants? I have no idea what the asking price is but I think the Pirates hold the cards...if this guy is not signed, he loses the money for a year. What do the Pirates lose?
But Smizik is right on a couple things, the team which was lousy before the trade, is worse off now and most likely next year. Payroll will be a 13 million lower.
And for all you hateful name callers,(econo calls it child like) bring it on.

Read this it explains the love affair and how an owner like Nutting's main concern is for the overall league, not if his team will ever compete for a championship

http://knowledge.wpcarey.asu.edu/articl ... cleid=1353

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:39 am 

Smizik is going downhill. He said more than once that the Pirates need to sign Alvarez quickly, as if it makes a bit of difference whether he is signed on the 10th or the 15th. Those 5 days will seem absolutely insignificant within a few days of the signing.

Also he insists that the Pirates need to meet Boras's demands, regardless of what they are. There is no way any team can operate that way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:59 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Smizik is going downhill. He said more than once that the Pirates need to sign Alvarez quickly, as if it makes a bit of difference whether he is signed on the 10th or the 15th. Those 5 days will seem absolutely insignificant within a few days of the signing.

Also he insists that the Pirates need to meet Boras's demands, regardless of what they are. There is no way any team can operate that way.

I agree Ralphie, if Alvarez doesn't want a contract, he can enter the draft next year, go back to school and risk getting injured, he definitely won't be a #2 pick next season.

Boras and Alvarez together have already wasted a year. Such a waste of time...