Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What motivates you to keep watching a terrible team?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 am 

i watch 'cause i'm masochist :cry:

Last edited by FANCH on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:44 am 

http://knowledge.wpcarey.asu.edu/articl ... cleid=1353

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:23 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Prospects are unproven.....that may or may not turn into players like the ones you got rid of. Proven players do come with higher price tags, prospects dont.

Every major league player - EVERY FREAKING ONE, WITHOUT EXCEPTION - was at some point a "prospect" and unproven.

For heaven's sake, the Pirates obtained Roberto Clemente as a "prospect" from the Dodgers.

Or do you forget that?

Forget Roberto? Met him in person as a kid.
Lets say Roberto was a Pirate today, has played for 5 or 6 years, look at his stats early in his career, he is proven, his contract is up next year. This organization would trade him for prospects.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:01 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Forget Roberto? Met him in person as a kid.
Lets say Roberto was a Pirate today, has played for 5 or 6 years, look at his stats early in his career, he is proven, his contract is up next year. This organization would trade him for prospects.

You are of course ignoring the point - you would lambaste the Pirates for trading Frank Thomas (the good-hit, terrible-field third baseman from years past) to get a 21-year old Clemente.

Get it now??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:50 pm 

I can sense this Clemente argument quickly degrading into one of those that I used to have with the kids in philosophy classes all the time. "But what if you let the baby drown, and it turned out to be baby Hitler?"

Basically, there's no use getting too worked up over prospects. Some will turn out great, others will fizzle. And there's not really a great way to know. It's more like a poker hand - you'll trade away two cards and hope you get a straight, but there's really no way of knowing until you actually find out what's in your hand. (Continuing with this metaphor, the Pirates have probably been playing these last 15 years with a deck that has no face cards.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:59 pm 

yeknom02 wrote:
Basically, there's no use getting too worked up over prospects. Some will turn out great, others will fizzle.

And Bullish would criticize every trade of a productive veteran for a prospect, without exception. His methodology would preclude the Pirates from ever turning a veteran player having a productive year into prospects that might yield 2, 3, 4 really good players.

That is the flaw that I am pointing out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:13 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
yeknom02 wrote:
Basically, there's no use getting too worked up over prospects. Some will turn out great, others will fizzle.

And Bullish would criticize every trade of a productive veteran for a prospect, without exception. His methodology would preclude the Pirates from ever turning a veteran player having a productive year into prospects that might yield 2, 3, 4 really good players.

I thought you pointed out Bullish is avoiding the point brought upon himself like always and needs to go to Latrobe and help Mendenhall figure out the goal-line drill and forget the Pirates totally...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:38 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
yeknom02 wrote:

Obviously, I don't know what the Shit is saying about these trades (and I am thankful for that), but I certainly remember that this past offseason, he said it was the same old same old under new management and that if they wanted any credibility, they should have traded away all of their productive players to rebuild. In fact, I think he said they WOULDN'T do it, to keep up appearances of fielding a respectable club. Ironic then, that he would criticize the club for doing what he advocated just months earlier.

Man, I wish the board had never been hacked...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:10 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Here are some clips from an article explaining the true reason why you support Bob Nutting's baseball team

Quote:
Where do we get that masochistic streak that keeps thousands of us going to see our favorite teams no matter how terrible they are? Even fans of the most storied franchises have had to suffer through extended periods of losing....But through all the losing and hopelessness, a small core of us still go to the games. And we brag about it, too. In fact, I think that's one of the biggest reasons we spend $30 or $40 to see our team in person even though we know they'll probably lose. It's a small price to pay for the right to tell everyone you know that you've been going to games "since before they got good again" or "since the [insert name of horrible player] days......For a group of people who think that the only thing worse than being called a bandwagon-jumper is being called a fair-weather fan, that street cred is pretty important. Not just within your own fan base, but when you talk to fans of other teams, too.......
Regardless of the sport, the team, the reason, and the length of time that a team wallows in its own crapitude, some of us will always keep coming back no matter how many seats are left empty by fair-weather fans who have jumped to a better band in a better wagon. In the end it's not really about loyalty or bragging rights or giveaways or booing. It's about love. Illogical, self-destructive, undying love for something that doesn't always love you back

Actually, I continue to watch the Pirates because it lends purpose to your otherwise drab life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:15 pm 

BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
yeknom02 wrote:

Obviously, I don't know what the Shit is saying about these trades (and I am thankful for that), but I certainly remember that this past offseason, he said it was the same old same old under new management and that if they wanted any credibility, they should have traded away all of their productive players to rebuild. In fact, I think he said they WOULDN'T do it, to keep up appearances of fielding a respectable club. Ironic then, that he would criticize the club for doing what he advocated just months earlier.

Man, I wish the board had never been hacked...

You hit the nail on the head there, BBF. That's EXACTLY what he was saying. He claimed that Nutting would never permit a rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
You hit the nail on the head there, BBF. That's EXACTLY what he was saying. He claimed that Nutting would never permit a rebuild.

You win the award for writing things I never said(or wrote) For clarification, Nutting will not spend enough and do what it takes to win and be a champion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:13 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

You win the award for writing things I never said(or wrote) For clarification, Nutting will not spend enough and do what it takes to win and be a champion.

One of the things it takes to win and be a champion is to commit to a true rebuild, and like Sisy and BBF, I too remember you claiming that Nutting would never commit to a full rebuild, as doing so would do havok to the ballclub's image of attempting to field a respectible team, and likewise do havok to his business plan. It's a shame I did not remember this until now, and it's also a shame that we lost the evidence thereof.

Bucco Boy, please make sure that someone is doing regular backups of the board. We need this in the future as evidence!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:57 am 
Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

One of the things it takes to win and be a champion is to commit to a true rebuild, and like Sisy and BBF, I too remember you claiming that Nutting would never commit to a full rebuild, as doing so would do havok to the ballclub's image of attempting to field a respectible team, and likewise do havok to his business plan. It's a shame I did not remember this until now, and it's also a shame that we lost the evidence thereof.

Bucco Boy, please make sure that someone is doing regular backups of the board. We need this in the future as evidence!

Why are you guys all so consumed with BH? He has a different take on things, so what????? It appears to really gnaw at the heart of so many of you. LET IT GO. He's allowed to voice his opinion just as you are.

It's like you've been more concerned with spite and "proving" him wrong, like if the Pirates win one day, you'd be happy for that mainly to rub it in his face rather than just being happy that your team won.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:41 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

BS, BH. You claimed that Huntingdon SHOULD have done a rebuild over the offseason, but that Nutting wouldn't permit it because he wanted to preserve the illusion that the Pirates were still trying to compete, while a complete rebuild would hurt his revenues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:50 am 

sisyphus wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

BS, BH. You claimed that Huntingdon SHOULD have done a rebuild over the offseason, but that Nutting wouldn't permit it because he wanted to preserve the illusion that the Pirates were still trying to compete, while a complete rebuild would hurt his revenues.

What I said was that trading away your best players during the off season would hurt ticket sales. Management was not going trade and start the blow it up rebuild plan then. And I was right. They will continue to be a low payroll team....Nutting has a budget limit, and will stick to it as any prudent businessman would. It still means losing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:06 am 

Elmer wrote:
Why are you guys all so consumed with BH? He has a different take on things, so what????? It appears to really gnaw at the heart of so many of you. LET IT GO. He's allowed to voice his opinion just as you are.

It's like you've been more concerned with spite and "proving" him wrong, like if the Pirates win one day, you'd be happy for that mainly to rub it in his face rather than just being happy that your team won.

I'd love to be proven wrong about the Pirates. I'd love to eat my words and say Bob Nutting really wants to make a true effort to make the Pirates champions. I'd love it if the Pirates were not going to be the all time losers for major sports teams. Butto answer your question of why? I hit a nerve, the emotional nerve. Read the link again about love It's about love. Illogical, self-destructive, undying love for something that doesn't always love you back

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:50 am 

After this week and the 15th being the day,The real heat will start to hit the Nuttings .It's going to be hard to convince people they are trying to win with the payroll
taking a dive again and losing your pick .The Story early in the week in the PG about not over paying was a hint of whats coming.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:47 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I'd love to be proven wrong about the Pirates. I'd love to eat my words and say Bob Nutting really wants to make a true effort to make the Pirates champions. I'd love it if the Pirates were not going to be the all time losers for major sports teams. Butto answer your question of why? I hit a nerve, the emotional nerve. Read the link again about love It's about love. Illogical, self-destructive, undying love for something that doesn't always love you back

You are mistaken. The nerve you hit is the one that is activated when you're hearing the same old song for the ten thousandth time.

Now we have Nutting spending millions on baseball academies in South America. We have Nutting opening the vault to sign highly rated draftees for way over their slot money. And we have Bullish singing the same old song in the face of all evidence.