Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeff Andrews Must Go
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:53 pm 

Jeff Andrews is wearing out his welcome real quick with me. I know he can't go out and throw for the guys, but the pitchers definately have stunk it up under him this year. All of the talk about how great he was with this group of young pitchers in the minors has quieted down. Most of the staff has taken a huge step backwards this year, when this was the year they were supposed to excel. We have the worst starting pitchers in baseball. Management preaches "accountability", lets see a little bit of it after this season by finding a new pitching coach. I have no problem with Russell, Varsho, or Long. I wonder if Andrews was Russell's choice or if management put him in the position.

Other random thoughts.............Moss looks like a hitter and seems to have a good idea at the plate. Nice "bomb" by Lil LaRoche today but at times his bat looks a little slow through the zone. Hansen was a tough luck Loser today. He actually threw very well before Burnett imploded. By the way Johnson's homerun was on an 0-2 pitch. I would have ran forever in High School and College as punishment for giving the hitter anything good to hit on an 0-2 pitch. Figures though, he's a Bonifay or Littlefield guy anyway. What do you expect.

Also, Ohlendorf threw well today. He started with 6 shutout innings before giving up a run in the 7th and 2 in the 8th (relief pitcher allowed his other 2 runs to score). Final line 7.2 I, 6 H, 3 R, 1 BB, and 9 K. Wouldn't mind seeing him up soon! Cutch had another big day as the Indy offense has come alive that past two games.

Post subject: Re: Jeff Andrews Must Go
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:18 pm 

I believe the Cubs hit 3 home runs on 0-2 counts today.

Cardinal sin......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:55 pm 

Az I know you have boys that have played alot of baseball (I've been around this board from the near the beginning, just changed my name). This was stressed all the time when I played and by me when I coached. I can't believe it happens as much as it does at the Major League level. Do you think it's because of that dreaded pitch count situation? But even so, it wouldn't hurt to see if the hitter would chase at least 1 pitch out of the zone when you're up 0-2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:24 pm 

I dont know if you can pin it on Andrews...I think alot has to do with how these guys were over worked the past 2 seasons and its caught up to them...

Maholm has been pretty good...Snell and Gorzo I think just need time off and to take some stress off themselves by getting away...I'm wondering if Capps' loss of velocity had something to do with his injury and if it was something that was bothering him all season and just let it go because he was pretty effective and wasnt being used as much as he was the past 2 seasons with Tracy and Colburn (who just got hired as the Texas Rangers Bullpen Coach)

Dumtrait could be used as a positive to Andrews' knowledge...now if he could get healthy
I'm starting to think Duke is done...just doesnt look good at all

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:34 pm 

i cant blame it on andrews, he is the coach that brought them up through the minors and they pitched well enough there to make it this far. I think the pitchers have to take the blame on themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:03 pm 

Snell looks like he is afraid to throw strikes. He nicks the corner on a lot of pitches, but spends so much time nibbling and nicking corners that he runs up huge pitch counts. He is never going to last more than 6-7 innings unless he works faster and throws strikes.

K's are a good part of a pitcher's repertoire, but Snell needs to learn that you cannot K a guy on a 2-0 or 3-1 count. Also, Snell has to be the slowest worker on the staff. He takes forever to get his pitch and throw it. I would be frustrated to play defense behind him. I expect to see some Pirate defenders bring a chair and a newspaper to the field to kill time between pitches.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:50 pm 

I don't recall Andrews throwing a pitch today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:26 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don't recall Andrews throwing a pitch today.

No, but I imagine he's thrown lots of fits this season over the production of his starting staff...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:29 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Snell looks like he is afraid to throw strikes. He nicks the corner on a lot of pitches, but spends so much time nibbling and nicking corners that he runs up huge pitch counts. He is never going to last more than 6-7 innings unless he works faster and throws strikes.

K's are a good part of a pitcher's repertoire, but Snell needs to learn that you cannot K a guy on a 2-0 or 3-1 count. Also, Snell has to be the slowest worker on the staff. He takes forever to get his pitch and throw it. I would be frustrated to play defense behind him. I expect to see some Pirate defenders bring a chair and a newspaper to the field to kill time between pitches.

Prior to this season wasnt Snell a fast worker inbetween pitches? I'm thinking of the game he beat Clemens was a quick one and the one game last year where he faced Pedro Martinez was going fast inbetween pitches until it started to rain...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:46 pm 

Snell is beyond a head case. Maybe Smoltz can lend him his shrink. Seriously. I don't think this guy's problems are physical. I knew as soon as Moss botched that flyball it was trouble. Snell is the type of guy that gets worked up over that stuff, or a bad call, etc. Instead of picking up his teammate he pours gas on the fire. Even when he was good he had those moments to a certain extent. And when you read his comments you can see he has no clue. One time he is going to just throw his fastball. The next time he needs to mix his speeds. Just something different all the time. And I have to also wonder how coachable he is. I imagine he is the proverbial brick wall....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:45 am 

It would have been better if Snell was traded. He's so freaking messed up in the head I can't deal. Finally Maholm has matured into an accountable starting pitcher, but I don't see Snell ever reaching that.

Andrews isn't the problem. Morris' stuff just died, Duke is still fighting, Maholm finally found out how to use his stuff, Snell is being defeated by his other personality, Gorzo is having some Sophomore blues, Dumatrait looked quite nice until he got injured, and then the organizational depth (or lack thereof) pitching failed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:05 am 

Who would have wanted Snell with how he was struggling and the contract he just signed, what would the team get in exchange?

Snell is definitely having some problems in his head and it needs to be fixed...Its too early to give up on him yet...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:44 pm 
jleisele58 wrote:
i cant blame it on andrews, he is the coach that brought them up through the minors and they pitched well enough there to make it this far. I think the pitchers have to take the blame on themselves.

I agree. I think the team's problem is it simply doesn't have enough good pitchers. I'm not endorsing or blasting Andrews. I just don't think you can pin this on him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:54 pm 

I really think that Andrews has done a good job in attempting to straighten out what Colburn damage was done last year. You simply have got to have the talent to begin with.

I think Snell has talent, but is a head case. Duke isn't what he was, but is definitely improved over last year. Gorzo who??

As far as losing to Cubs go, well, alot of folks are losing to the Cubbies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:55 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Watching Snell, I am reminded more and more of Schmidt and Benson.

Both pitchers that started well, then I think let the "idea" of pitching get the better of them. Or better yet, the "idea of pitching in front of THIS team". Sans injury, the complaint became "cowardly", "nibbler", "passive", "gutless" etc. From guys who did not start out that way.

I hope Snell is not falling into a similiar mental state.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:57 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Steve1118 wrote:
I really think that Andrews has done a good job in attempting to straighten out what Colburn damage was done last year. You simply have got to have the talent to begin with...

What damage did Colburn do? Snell loved the guy. Gorzo had what many considered a coming out year. Malholm got better. The only one who was considered "damaged' by Colburn was Duke, and I think this year we see it was not Colburn at all from him.

I can see the arguements made about Tracy, and am more inclined now that before to buy them. But, not with Colburn.

ZM