Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sports coverage in pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:59 pm 

this is slightly off target but for everyone not living in or around pittsburgh i have a simple question. Do any other cities have excellent local coverage like stan on sportsbeat, and the rest of fsn pittsburghs quality on air personalities, not to mention the local newspaper writers and such.

Post subject: Re: Sports coverage in pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:07 pm 

I don't know if they still have it but Empire Sports Network in Buffalo had good sports coverage of the Sabres and Bills.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:04 pm 

Cleveland has awesome coverage of local pro teams and Ohio State (not much on Cleveland State.) We have two all sports radio stations (both owned by the same group, Good Karma Broadcasting.) Niether carries broadcasts of Browns, Indians, or Cavs so there's honest talk. It's fun to listen to the Indians postgame shows because the host isn't afraid to blast Indians management.

The Indians flagship radio station has sports talk but it's garbage, all pro management. We have a very good call in program on Sports Time Ohio (cable television) as well and they carry Indians games. FSN Ohio airs the Cavaliers and Columbus Blue Jackets, no sports talk. We don't get the Big Ten Network with our cable company so I can't see all the Buckeyes games.

I actually listen to WDFN Detroit more because I'm a Lions fan. The frustrating thing is that fans are not given the chance to talk Lions football. All the hosts do is make fun of the Lions. Even during the season on Mondays there's only a short segment devoted to the game. The hosts sometimes apologize beforehand that they have to talk about the Lions. I imagine Pirates coverage is similar on Pittsburgh sports talk. It ticks me off. Our Cleveland stations never avoided the Browns when they sucked. Here it's non-stop Browns. They truly rule here. Every practice is covered in detail nightly on STO.

That Detroit station is quite different in that they constantly swear and talk about sex. Detroiters say they can't listen to the station when their kids are around.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:20 pm 

Sports talk pretty much sucks in Phoenix.

Sadly, Empire is no more and yes for a small market they did a great job. It went down with Adelphia and that mess.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:58 pm 

thanks, i was watching sportsbeat here the other day and was wondering how lucky we it pittsburgh were with our sports talk, its nice to hear what goes on in other good sports cities. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:00 pm 

Sportsbeat is very unique. Tons of other markets have tried it and just hasn't worked. FSN has a great lineup. The rest of Pittsburgh media is average at best. Believe me, there are many reporters and columnists that take their job for granted. The columnists don't get any national pub because they aren't that good. Only Bouchette gets national exposure when things happen. (Madden did too to a point). Like a former colleague told me, if they were good, they wouldn't be here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:11 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

with all respect bb.. that is a load of whoee.

Myron Cope was one of the great sports writers off all time. On par with anyone.

Collier is recognized as one of the best as well. He's still here.

DK, if he continues, will be baseball treasure.

You've mentioned Bouchette.

Just because ESPN cannot look beyond Long Island sound for talent, doesn't mean its not here.

BTW, baseball coverage of Cleveland is just fabulous. Its about the only nice thing I'll say about that town!

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:45 pm 

Not true ZM. Myron isn't here anymore RIP (he was an outstanding writer), DK was an excellent hockey beat writer and an even better baseball beat writer. I like Collier and he is probably the most popular of the columnists, but there isn't much after that.

As for ESPN, two of their premier football writers - John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli used to work in Pittsburgh, but moved to greener pastures. I am telling you the perception (outside Bristol) is the Pittsburgh media is not very talented. I have heard this from both media types inside and outside the market.

Granted some of them are very popular in Pittsburgh, but that's because they are Pittsburgh. Even Stan would have trouble making it outside the market, especially on TV and he is very talented.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:49 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Not true ZM. Myron isn't here anymore RIP (he was an outstanding writer), DK was an excellent hockey beat writer and an even better baseball beat writer. I like Collier and he is probably the most popular of the columnists, but there isn't much after that.

As for ESPN, two of their premier football writers - John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli used to work in Pittsburgh, but moved to greener pastures. I am telling you the perception (outside Bristol) is the Pittsburgh media is not very talented. I have heard this from both media types inside and outside the market.

Granted some of them are very popular in Pittsburgh, but that's because they are Pittsburgh. Even Stan would have trouble making it outside the market, especially on TV and he is very talented.

I invite you to come to Tucson/Arizona for a few weeks and see if your opinion changes at all. Sports talk out here is terrible. There is one local host and one dedicated sports talk station. The local host doesn't know much beyond what ESPN tells him. We had Fox Sports Radio for a little while, but the station changed formats and now it has Rome and Patrick in the afternoons.

I'm told coverage in Southern California is pretty good, but I've never been so I can't say for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:50 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
I'm told coverage in Southern California is pretty good, but I've never been so I can't say for sure.

It's okay. Most of the coverage involves ESPN and Fox, so it is national. Some local sports talk is on KABC, 790, but that focuses on the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 pm 

How are things down in the old Pueblo Jeremy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:30 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
How are things down in the old Pueblo Jeremy?

HOT!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:31 pm 

You coming up for any of the games?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:32 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
You coming up for any of the games?

Can't right now. I'm working an odd shift because of some stuff going on at work.