Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8-2-08 Pirates vs. Cubs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 pm 

Good observations on the decision to have Burnett face Johnson. Russell knew that as soon as he brought Burnett into the game, Pinellia would pull the left-handed hitter and replace him with a righty (a guy hitting .292).

Hansen has filthy stuff. His fastball has such downward bite that it looks like a slider - but it is traveling at 94 mph. So, which would you rather have - Hansen and his 94 mph fastball with filthy downward movement (ground ball likely) against a guy hitting .111 as a pinch hitter (Ward), or Burnett vs. Johnson?

I would have left Hansen in the game at that point. Let him work out of it. Burnett is a LOOGY at this point, so play to his strength - have him face a left-hander who is not going to be pulled for a righty hitter. Hansen's stupid movement on his fastball does not make him susceptible to left-handers, I would think.

Also, Morris and Laroche both showed what I mean by plate control. Control the strike zone to get a hittable pitch. Laroche did a great job of this in the top of the 8th, and Morris followed with a walk. Pearce is not nearly as good at plate control and struggles when he is behind in the count.

Once the Pirates have Andy Laroche, Morris, McLouth, Doumit, and McCutchen all in the line-up, we will see a lot of 0-2 counts turn 2-2, followed by base hits and hard-hit balls.

Disappointing loss, and one of many to come the rest os this season. I am not hopeful of many good games until the Pirates can put a line-up on the field that does not feature Rivas as the lead-off hitter. And Nate really needs to start hitting ... Doumit and the new guys are doing all the work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:22 pm 

Exactly.. any skipper can manage like these freaking Eric Wedge righty/lefty robot guys. Chuck Tanner didn't manage games like that. He often acted on hunches. He knew that playing percentages is not fool proof. I'll never forget the day he decided, for seemingly no reason, to bat Rennie Stennett clean up for one game against St. Louis. Stennett responded with a huge game. Several times he called upon Rick Rhoden or Don Robinson to pinch hit when he had three or four position players left on his bench.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:39 pm 

first year in the majors for JR, lets see how he learns from his mistakes, he did after all start the season with one team and now has to manage what amounts to a brand new team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:51 pm 

Let's hope McLouth breaks out soon. I wondered if he would feel a little more pressure with Bay and Nady gone. It may help him to get Sanchez and Adam LaRoche back in the lineup. I know some on this board seem ready to see Adam gone, but we need him back in the lineup as soon as possible. I would run them out there like this when everyone's healthy.........

McLouth (L)
Sanchez (R)
Doumit (S)
Ad LaRoche (L)
And LaRoche (R)
Moss (L)
Pearce (R)
Wilson (R)