Proud fans of a 129-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tonight's game
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:27 pm 

Well actually it's yesterday over here!
Anyway, when i tuned in online it was top of the first 2 outs, no score. Now it's 20 minutes later and its its still top of the first and 2 outs, but the score is 5-0 Phillies. Aaaargh!
I knew we were doomed when Greg said this guy (forget his name) has never homered off the Pirates. Guess what happened next pitch.
Sheesh.

Oh - as I type we are finally out of the inning. Morris's pitch count must already be approaching the century.

Post subject: Re: Tonight's game
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

I was actually halfway embarrassed when I turned on the game. It seemed the stadium was half-filled with Phillies fans. It shouldn't be a shock but it's just one more step towards hitting bottom.

Question...what is bottom anyway? If the Pirates haven't hit bottom yet...

Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:36 pm 

I accidentally hit the page number for this thread (the oldest on UPMB) because I'm on my phone and apparently have uncoordinated thumbs. How funny is it that the Phillies aren't a joke and the Pirates are getting derided?

This is before any plan became evident and these posters were in no way wrong to be frustrated. Haven't seen Bertie in a bit, and obviously IA has been here through thick and thin. Major hat tip to him for that. Props to upper management here. Seriously.

The Pirates have come a long way, baby.

It's awesome we could go from this exchange, which was perfectly rational, to now debating what they need to do to be contenders.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:15 am 

From Way Back Machine, I found this from 2001 .... http://web.archive.org/web/200110312014 ... m/a/10514/

Lots of familiar names ... there are many of us who have travelled a long way together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:46 am 

No. 9 wrote:
From Way Back Machine, I found this from 2001 .... http://web.archive.org/web/200110312014 ... m/a/10514/

Lots of familiar names ... there are many of us who have travelled a long way together.

That is awesome.

Those were some great contributors, but that Matt J. fellow ... :?

Ehh, No. 9?? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:19 am 

Too funny. Y'all had a hell of a community before I came around, it seems.

Always been a diehard (I'm pretty young, though), but mad props to everyone who found this team willing to discuss back in the pre-2010 days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:47 am 

The Pirates always had a great fan web presence, it seems, even during the doldrums. I think I joined here around 06 or 07, back when I first discovered what a "message board" was. Not being local and with coverage the way it was back then, it was my only real outlet to talk baseball. Even though (like anything else on the internet these days) the blogosphere and fan sites were nothing like today, back then there was still this, Onlybucs, and Bucs Dugout off the top of my head. Cool that all of them are still around (and Onlybucs still looks the exact same).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:49 am 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

That is awesome.

Well, it looks like there was a #12... Was that him in an earlier iteration???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:32 am 

val wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

That is awesome.

Actually Val, #12 was none other than Dejan Kovacevic. He left the board when he took the Pirates beat position for the PG.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:57 am 

Yeah some of us have been here a long time.

I'm thrilled to have a good team after such a long drought, but in some ways the board and the Pirates were more interesting when they sucked. More to complain about, so more to talk about. And there was that hope, which was finally realized.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:09 pm 

Whoa...memories! I think I started with the board back in late 98/early 99. I remember sharing once about my youngest being born and now she is 16 and finishing her sophomore year. Yikes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:25 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

That is awesome.

That guy was an asshole then and is still an asshole today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:57 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
val wrote:

Actually Val, #12 was none other than Dejan Kovacevic. He left the board when he took the Pirates beat position for the PG.

Wow. Is that why there are so many polarized opinions here about DK? You know, in a we-knew-him-when sort of way...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:03 pm 

val wrote:
Wow. Is that why there are so many polarized opinions here about DK? You know, in a we-knew-him-when sort of way...

I think you'll find polarizing opinions on DK from Pirates fans anywhere, it's certainly not exclusive to here. When you do things like compare the Russell Martin signing to Matt Morris, or say attendance for Gerrit Cole's debut was unimpressive (causing this response: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gerrit-c ... prospects/), not to mention all of the "Hoka Hey" nonsense, there is going to be backlash.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:40 pm 

val wrote:

I think it plays some role. For example, DK loves the city of Pittsburgh. He makes no bones about that fact. No problem.

But he also apparently felt compelled to denigrate basically every other city he encountered in his travels - Miami, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Denver, and Milwaukee are a few that I recall him ragging on.

His criticism of Los Angeles included dismissive comments about the weather.

Uhhhhh ... okay.

So, yes, his comments back in the day play a role.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:19 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
val wrote:

I think it plays some role. For example, DK loves the city of Pittsburgh. He makes no bones about that fact. No problem.

But he also apparently felt compelled to denigrate basically every other city he encountered in his travels - Miami, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Denver, and Milwaukee are a few that I recall him ragging on.

His criticism of Los Angeles included dismissive comments about the weather.

Uhhhhh ... okay.

So, yes, his comments back in the day play a role.

Yeah, he also had a problem with certain board members, especially if he deemed their support and love of the Pirates to be somewhat less than his devotion. He and I got into it around 2006 when I said that I was finshed going to Pirates games in Houston. I had seen one win and about 15 losses in my eight seasons in H-Town, and normally the losses were just brutal, so I stopped going and paying my hard earned money for a product that I had ceased enjoying. He got all over me that one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:58 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Yeah, he also had a problem with certain board members, especially if he deemed their support and love of the Pirates to be somewhat less than his devotion. He and I got into it around 2006 when I said that I was finshed going to Pirates games in Houston. I had seen one win and about 15 losses in my eight seasons in H-Town, and normally the losses were just brutal, so I stopped going and paying my hard earned money for a product that I had ceased enjoying. He got all over me that one.

Yeah, I remember that.

Funny, isn't it, that anybody would question the devotion of a Pirates' fan to the team in 2006, when the club was in the midst of its 15th consecutive losing season and finished with an abysmal record of 67-95 with some God-awful players in the line-up (Jose Castillo, Chris Duffy, Jeremy Burnitz) and a pitching staff that was horrible (Victor Santos, Ian Snell, bad Ollie Perez, Shawn Chacon, Kip Wells ... good God, man, what a horrible freaking team)?

Anybody who was a fan in 2006 and thereafter should get a freaking medal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I didn't get a medal, but I did treat myself to a box of those minty Girl Scout cookies.

I earned it!

ZM

reprinted with permission.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:45 pm 

No comment….. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:37 pm 

TheShark wrote:
val wrote:

I think you'll find polarizing opinions on DK from Pirates fans anywhere, it's certainly not exclusive to here. When you do things like compare the Russell Martin signing to Matt Morris, or say attendance for Gerrit Cole's debut was unimpressive (causing this response: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gerrit-c ... prospects/), not to mention all of the "Hoka Hey" nonsense, there is going to be backlash.

He was pissed at Huntington for lying to him, if I remember correctly, and it took him a while to let it go.