Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today's lineup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm going to be very interested to see how today's lineup shakes out. No Bay, Nady, or LaRoche. Not many teams can say they won't have their opening day 3, 4, 5 guys in the lineup today.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

Post subject: Re: Today's lineup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:27 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I'm going to be very interested to see how today's lineup shakes out. No Bay, Nady, or LaRoche. Not many teams can say they won't have their opening day 3, 4, 5 guys in the lineup today.

"Interested" wasn't the word that came to mind when I saw it. DK has it posted on the PBC blog...I'll let you discover it for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:28 pm 

BBF wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

"Interested" wasn't the word that came to mind when I saw it. DK has it posted on the PBC blog...I'll let you discover it for yourself.

Jeez man... I gotta actually do some work??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Mother of God...

1. Luis Rivas 2B. 2. Doug Mientkiewicz 1B. 3. Nate McLouth CF. 4. Ryan Doumit C. 5. Andy LaRoche 3B. 6. Brandon Moss RF. 7. Jason Michaels LF. 8. Jack Wilson SS. 9. Karstens

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

That's not a bad looking lineup for right now.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:35 pm 

I'm more than willing to give the young guys a chance for the rest of this year. I'm also willing to "trust" NH and FC that they know what they are doing, for now. I think we are all so tired of losing that we are jaded thinking, "Here we go again" with no end of losing in sight. I would feel better if Nuttin' loosened his purse strings this winter and we could sign a veteran pitcher to anchor the staff, if there is one available??? Anyone know which pitchers are up for free agency this winter? But, it should be fun to watch young Laroche and Moss and see what they can do. I'm up for it!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:36 pm 

DocJeanO wrote:
I'm more than willing to give the young guys a chance for the rest of this year. I'm also willing to "trust" NH and FC that they know what they are doing, for now. I think we are all so tired of losing that we are jaded thinking, "Here we go again" with no end of losing in sight. I would feel better if Nuttin' loosened his purse strings this winter and we could sign a veteran pitcher to anchor the staff, if there is one available??? Anyone know which pitchers are up for free agency this winter? But, it should be fun to watch young Laroche and Moss and see what they can do. I'm up for it!!!

Sabathia and Sheets

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:54 pm 

Its no fun being a Pirates fan in Cub country right now. The comments I'm hearing about the hot Cubs playing the new "AAA" Pirates over the next 3 days are tough to bear.
My only hope is that the Cubs are overconfident after decimating the Brewers up in Milwaukee.
The realist in me is not looking forward to a very long baseball weekend.
I have tickets for Sunday and am seriously considering dumping them depending upon how things play out on Friday and Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:14 pm 

There's bound to be some adjustment this weekend. I don't want to judge the quality of these guys based on this series, especially because it's the cubbies and it's on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:15 pm 

just can''t stand the cubs.. gooooooooooooooo karstens

sorry.. it already starts with the red/blue combination

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:16 pm 

Here we go. This really marks the beginning of the new management team today.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:32 pm 
IA Pirate wrote:
Mother of God...

1. Luis Rivas 2B. 2. Doug Mientkiewicz 1B. 3. Nate McLouth CF. 4. Ryan Doumit C. 5. Andy LaRoche 3B. 6. Brandon Moss RF. 7. Jason Michaels LF. 8. Jack Wilson SS. 9. Karstens

I'd probably do this

1. McClouth CF
2. Gomez 2B
3. Doumit C
4. Pearce RF
5. Menky 1B
6. Little Brother 3B
7. Moss
8 Wilson
9 Karstens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:52 pm 

I note that the pitcher at no. 8 experiment is on hold for this game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:59 pm 

This could have been a situation where we wouldn't have gotten the second run had Karstens been hitting 9th. Again I wouldn't be against hitting a pitcher 8th if he's CC Sabathia or Ken Brett.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:59 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Pitcher at No 8 is dead according to Russell. That was an idea when you had Bay and Nady, and McClouth at the top of the lineup.

I can actually see some benefit in the idea, and did note a number of times it seemed advantageous in how it worked out by starting innings with Jack, as opposed to a pitcher. Even though Jack didn't hit too well.

Seems to me a product of the new BA guy in the department, because I've seen the arguement for this coming from that group. Was this an attempt to develop a data metric to actually measure its effectiveness for PirateVision?????

In any case, Russell has McClouth batting deep for the rest of the year, and the pitcher batting 9.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:04 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

I can actually see some benefit in the idea, and did note a number of times it seemed advantageous in how it worked out by starting innings with Jack, as opposed to a pitcher. Even though Jack didn't hit too well.

Yeah, but how many of those instances were because the pitcher made the third out with runners on base? Perhaps Jack drives those runners in. Obviously, since Jack hit like a pitcher, it made little difference, but I'm glad the experiment is over.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:54 pm 

DocJeanO wrote:

I don't think it would be a good idea to spend money on a free agent pitcher until you have a team in place that is just one pitcher short of contention. We still have a way to go before that is the case.