Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A small mention on NBCSports
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am 

The Pirates looked to the future with their acquisitions.

Hansen, a 24-year-old right-hander, was 1-3 with two saves and a 5.58 ERA in 32 games. A first-round draft choice in 2005, he became the first Boston player to reach majors in the year he was picked.

LaRoche, the younger brother of Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche, hit .203 with two home runs and six RBIs in 27 games for the Dodgers. A power-hitting prospect at 24, he spent most of this year at Triple-A Las Vegas.

Moss, also 24, split the season between Boston and Triple-A Pawtucket. He hit .295 with five doubles and two homers in 78 at-bats. Last year, he led the International League with 59 extra-base hits.

Morris, a 21-year-old right-hander, was 2-4 with a 3.20 ERA for Class A Great Lakes.

Post subject: Re: A small mention on NBCSports
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:23 pm 
Jeremy wrote:

Hansen, a 24-year-old right-hander, was 1-3 with two saves and a 5.58 ERA in 32 games. A first-round draft choice in 2005, he became the first Boston player to reach majors in the year he was picked.

LaRoche, the younger brother of Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche, hit .203 with two home runs and six RBIs in 27 games for the Dodgers. A power-hitting prospect at 24, he spent most of this year at Triple-A Las Vegas.

Moss, also 24, split the season between Boston and Triple-A Pawtucket. He hit .295 with five doubles and two homers in 78 at-bats. Last year, he led the International League with 59 extra-base hits.

Morris, a 21-year-old right-hander, was 2-4 with a 3.20 ERA for Class A Great Lakes.

I really think Hansen could end up being the steal of this deal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:35 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I really think Hansen could end up being the steal of this deal.

Could be, but I think it's LaRoche who is the steal. Hansen's upside is a flamethrowing closer, but his downside is what he is right now, a guy who throws hard but can't find the plate. I think that LaRoche's downside is that he's about 80% of Jason Bay at the plate, while playing very good defense at third, and his upside is a whole bunch of all star games.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:06 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Could be, but I think it's LaRoche who is the steal. Hansen's upside is a flamethrowing closer, but his downside is what he is right now, a guy who throws hard but can't find the plate. I think that LaRoche's downside is that he's about 80% of Jason Bay at the plate, while playing very good defense at third, and his upside is a whole bunch of all star games.

Laroche's knowledge and control of the strike zone, and his low K rate, make him a very, very rare power hitter. Those guys are extraordinarily rare. If he hits .290 with 25 HR's, he will be a force since his OBP will be about .400 and his slugging around .520.

I say this because his walk rate so far in the major leagues, at ages 23-24, is 16.5% (30 walks in 182 plate appearances). This year in Las Vegas, he had 151 plate appearances with 34 walks and 17 K's - twice as many walks as K's in AAA. His walk rate in AAA was 22.5%.

How high is that?? The team that emphasizes walks, the Oakland A's, have a policy that players must show plate discipline before being advanced by achieving a walk rate of 10% - which is way below what Laroche has done in the major leagues as a 23-24 year old.