Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why the Pirates should sign Alvarez
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 am 

While looking up info on the new and recently traded Pirates, I ran across some startling findings:
2000 Amatuer Draft

Sean Burnett 19th Overall

Bobby Hill 43rd Overall

Xavier Nady 49th Overall

Jason Bay 645th Overall

It is incredible how so many teams passed over so much talent. Yet took a a closer look at limited talent. Adrian Gonzalez was the #1 pick, and it was right on. I believe the Pirates are developing a very deep criteria as far as the way they scout players. It is a theory right now, but I would watch how our new players do perform. We are headed in the right direction. Alvarez will more than likely sign. Until he swings a bat or gloves a groundball at PNC in a Pirate uniform, there is no certainty. That is why I'm watching the players we acquired closely. This may be nothing new to alot of you. But our organization has failed miserably in the recent past to pinpoint players who will contribute. However, I believe other teams have done just a poor job as well, which does create an advantage.

www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ ... ype=junreg

BEAT 'EM BUCS

Post subject: Re: Why the Pirates should sign Alvarez
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:24 am 

If the Pirates are able to come to terms with each of their top 10 draft choices I would have to say that the PBC has improved signficantly in 1 years time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:58 am 

They need Alvarez signed. I don't think there can be any excuse now, since they have saved money as a side benefit to these trades. The #2 pitcher may be questionable, we'll know soon as he will be tested in Pittsburgh shortly before the 15th.

We have pointed toward the future and now if the draft is as good as we have been led to believe, they should sign as many as possible out of the top 10 (they have 6 already don't they?), unless they all demand excessive amounts beyond the recommended pay. In which case they should still sign the most valuable of them.

Additionally, the effort in Latin America should help us land some more kids.

Our minor league system will have moved a great deal in one year to becoming stocked.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:12 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
They need Alvarez signed. I don't think there can be any excuse now, since they have saved money as a side benefit to these trades. The #2 pitcher may be questionable, we'll know soon as he will be tested in Pittsburgh shortly before the 15th.

We have pointed toward the future and now if the draft is as good as we have been led to believe, they should sign as many as possible out of the top 10 (they have 6 already don't they?), unless they all demand excessive amounts beyond the recommended pay. In which case they should still sign the most valuable of them.

Additionally, the effort in Latin America should help us land some more kids.

Our minor league system will have moved a great deal in one year to becoming stocked.

That's why you can't ever bank on prospects. It's a crap shoot, even with all the scouting etc. today. In my opinion, the key is getting many prospects and giving yourself options at every position.

When you bank on unproven guys, you end up with things like Jermaine Allensworth as your starting CF or "future 40 home run guys" like Eldred and Ron Wright basically nonfactors.