Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ESPN Poll
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:15 pm 

This column by Smizik talks about this poll conducted by ESPN the Magazine. It's interested and I agree with him that it did nail the Pittsburgh teams pretty well.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08125/879089-194.stm

the poll itself is here

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsna ... chiseRanks

Post subject: Re: ESPN Poll
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:05 pm 

This poll is another ESPN farcity. For the Steelers to be ranked 25th is ridiculous, how many stadiums outside of Pittsburgh have to deal with the sea of black and gold. Also ESPN is diluted in its thought that Pittsburgh fans actually watch ESPN, there just isn't any coverage of our teams, minimal if any.

But don't listen to me, I'm the knucklehead who is completely anti-ESPN.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:17 pm 
I see some holes in this and some validity.

Smizik's point about city's with fewer teams diluting the poll is true. That's the only reason the Colts won, imho.

That said, all the info does come from fans in those cities, so it has some validity too.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:42 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
This poll is another ESPN farcity. For the Steelers to be ranked 25th is ridiculous, how many stadiums outside of Pittsburgh have to deal with the sea of black and gold. Also ESPN is diluted in its thought that Pittsburgh fans actually watch ESPN, there just isn't any coverage of our teams, minimal if any.

Please clarify thestatement about how many stadiums outside of pittsburgh have to deal with the sea of black and gold. What is your point there?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Please clarify thestatement about how many stadiums outside of pittsburgh have to deal with the sea of black and gold. What is your point there?

Steeler fans flock to other ballparks, whether by traveling there or by living in that city. The fact that the Steelers are ranked 25th is ridiculous in my opinion. I think our ownership is the best, our stadium, although not the beauty that PNC Park is, is still tops in the NFL, costs are outrageous everywhere and the fact that you cannot get a ticket to the Steeler home games for like 10-15yrs or something gives creedence to the idea that "gimmicks" aren't necessary. The only thing the Steelers do is "provide" the fans with quality teams that contend almost every year. Its funny how teams like the Patriots are rated so high, these guys just showed up on the scene a few years ago, how many years did they contend in a row?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm 
Keep in mind that ESPN didn't put out these rankings. They polled Pittsburgh sports fans.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:31 pm 

My experience in PHoenix has been that others who also fill the stadium are fans fo the Bills, NY Football Giants, Raiders (unfortunately), Bears and Cowboys. For hockey it is the Pens and Redwings in a big way. Baseball is pretty much ;the Cubs and the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:35 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
For hockey it is the Pens and Redwings in a big way.

Pens draw well in Phoenix? Did not know that. Wonder why - population shift?

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Baseball is pretty much ;the Cubs and the Dodgers.

The former due, I suspect, to the large number of Phoenix residents who moved there from Chicago, and the latter to the fact that LA is darn close.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:45 pm 

The poll is flawed and slanted to one or two sports teams per city. As per Pgh, right now the Pens are the hot team of choice, but this is still a Steeler town. Take the poll in the Spring of 06 right after SB 40 and its not close. The Pirates would be near the bottom year after year. It is so sad but true to see how pathetic the Pirates are.....and will continue to be.