It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What if.. Bay to Rays
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:04 pm 

In the speculations departement..

Next possible trade: Bay for SS Brignac, SP Niemann and SP Wade Davis
if i am right the nu 1, 2 & 3 from 2005 draft of the rays

your thoughts

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: What if.. Bay to Rays
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:17 pm 

Will Carol and Kevin Goldstein are over in the Basebal Prospectus chat saying "They might be close on Bay".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:19 pm 

Quote:
Will Carroll (12:15:23 PM PT): Still confirming, but looks like Jason Bay to Tampa for Reid Brignac and Jeff Niemann.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:21 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Quote:
Will Carroll (12:15:23 PM PT): Still confirming, but looks like Jason Bay to Tampa for Reid Brignac and Jeff Niemann.

Wow. Brignac was untouchable when I woke up this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 pm 

Peroto says Bay likely stays:

Quote:
It now looks as though Jason Bay will be staying put with the Pittsburgh Pirates through the end of the season.

The Pittsburgh Pirates are unlikely to trade the left fielder after a proposed three-way trade with Boston and the Florida fell apart Thursday afternoon. The Pirates would have received Marlins 24-year-old right fielder Jeremy Hermida and prospects from both the Red Sox and Florida.

The Marlins and Red Sox apparently could not work out their end of the deal. Boston was willing to trade unhappy left fielder Manny Ramirez to the Marlins but felt Florida wants too much in return.

The Pirates’ chances of dealing Bay to the Tampa Bay Rays before the 4 p.m. Thursday deadline for making trades without securing waivers on players also appears all but dead. Tampa Bay will not part with prized pitching prospect Wade Davis.

The Toronto Blue Jays are making a late pitch for Bay, who is Canadian. However, a Pirates’ source characterized the chances of a deal with the Blue Jays as “remote.”

http://timesonline.com/articles/2008/07/31/sports/doc489203261dfce436353854.txt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 pm 

Quote:
Kevin Goldstein (12:18:17 PM PT): I think it's done.

Bay to Rays for Jeff Niemann and Reid Brignac. The rebuilding in Pittsburgh continues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 pm 

If true, I am again underwhelmed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:24 pm 

I love dueling media sources.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:24 pm 

Quote:
Christina Kahrl (12:23:23 PM PT): A year and two months of Bay for a maybe-something almost ready starter and shortstop... not bad.

Yeah, I'm not thinking I'm thrilled with the return. I'd have liked another blue chipper.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:27 pm 

This does open up the possibility of a waiver trade for Flash. Dodgers maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:29 pm 

The source say "prospects including shortstop Reid Brignac and right-hander Jeff Niemann". There may be more.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

Last edited by burghermeister on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:29 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

Is Reid Brignac ready now? His AAA numbers look a bit underwhelming. Maybe 2009?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:31 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
The source say "prospects including shortstop Reid Brignac and right-hander Jeff Niemann". There may be more.

Quote:
Kevin Goldstein (12:25:56 PM PT): Pirates have closed up their war room, meaning no comment until four. Rays also not confirming anything.

Looks like we wait until at least 4PM.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:32 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Is Reid Brignac ready now? His AAA numbers look a bit underwhelming. Maybe 2009?

Good point. You'd also have to think that if they wanted a ready now guy they would have worked with Atlanta to get Lillibridge back.

We'll see at 4 I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:33 pm 

Argentum wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

Quote:
Kevin Goldstein (12:25:56 PM PT): Pirates have closed up their war room, meaning no comment until four. Rays also not confirming anything.

Looks like we wait until at least 4PM.

$*%&. I have a meeting from 4-6. It will be killing me to know what the deal is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:36 pm 

If true.......
I like what the pirates have done in all trades. We've got 6 solid prospects out of three players that probably would not have been with the club longer than next season. We stocked up on pitching (which all know we needed). Added a much, much needed shortstop in our system to follow up JW when he is traded (no thank you bixler). Finally we've started to loosen up that log jam of potential outfielders in Mccutcheon, Pearce, Michaels, and Tabalta (sp?) though he may be a year or two out. Ill say it again, I like what they have done. No Matt Morris. No need to hunt for the next Jeromy Burnitz in the offseason........ It seems like the manasgement is committing toward the future and I like what I see....... Kudos NH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:38 pm 

buc commander wrote:
If true.......
I like what the pirates have done in all trades. We've got 6 solid prospects out of three players that probably would not have been with the club longer than next season. We stocked up on pitching (which all know we needed). Added a much, much needed shortstop in our system to follow up JW when he is traded (no thank you bixler). Finally we've started to loosen up that log jam of potential outfielders in Mccutcheon, Pearce, Michaels, and Tabalta (sp?) though he may be a year or two out. Ill say it again, I like what they have done. No Matt Morris. No need to hunt for the next Jeromy Burnitz in the offseason........ It seems like the manasgement is committing toward the future and I like what I see....... Kudos NH

I'm pretty much in agreement. Although I'm hoping we get at least one more prospect in the Bay deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:43 pm 
Argentum wrote:
buc commander wrote:
If true.......

I'm pretty much in agreement. Although I'm hoping we get at least one more prospect in the Bay deal.

The Nady/Marte trade was OK. Not great but not horrible.

Re Bay, I won't be happy with 2 minor leaguers for Bay. I need 3 legit, top-flight players to consider that a good trade.

NH has done some good, but I think it's too early to kneel down in front of him in reverence. The players have to work out and they have to win for the moves to mean anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:45 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Argentum wrote:
buc commander wrote:
If true.......

The Nady/Marte trade was OK. Not great but not horrible.

Re Bay, I won't be happy with 2 minor leaguers for Bay. I need 3 legit, top-flight players to consider that a good trade.

NH has done some good, but I think it's too early to kneel down in front of him in reverence. The players have to work out and they have to win for the moves to mean anything.

With the Ray's top three off the table, I like what we were able to get for Jason. Flash could be gone in the off season and we have another starter to prop up the pathetic rotation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:47 pm 

kneeling down in reverence may be a stretch there...........
but Ill take it over wanting to smack Littlefield in the back of the head