Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates interest in Hermida ...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm 

Hermida is a good player, and would fit in RF for the Bucs. The Bucs appear to like McCutch-hitter in CF and McLouth in LF, since Nate has played LF several times this year when Bay is out of the line-up.

I wonder if this suggests that the Pirates are not convinced that Steve Pearce is going to work out. He has struggled this year in AAA, and the new brass may not think that he has the bat to play a corner OF position.

Just a thought.

Post subject: Re: Pirates interest in Hermida ...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
Hermida is a good player, and would fit in RF for the Bucs. The Bucs appear to like McCutch-hitter in CF and McLouth in LF, since Nate has played LF several times this year when Bay is out of the line-up.

I wonder if this suggests that the Pirates are not convinced that Steve Pearce is going to work out. He has struggled this year in AAA, and the new brass may not think that he has the bat to play a corner OF position.

Just a thought.

Maybe they think LaRoche won't work out and have plans to move Pearce back to first? That's what I would do ... trade LaRoche this offseason and give Pearce a shot to win the job (so long as there's competition and a plan B).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:47 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Maybe they think LaRoche won't work out and have plans to move Pearce back to first? That's what I would do ... trade LaRoche this offseason and give Pearce a shot to win the job (so long as there's competition and a plan B).

I had the same thought, but so far the Pirates are playing Pearce exclusively in RF, even with Laroche on the DL. It does not seem that the Pirates are looking at Pearce at 1B.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:21 pm 

There really isnt anyone else to play OF right now and Doug Meint is a former gold glover...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:22 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Just a thought.

I'm sure not convinced that Pearce is going to work out. What do you think of his chances?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:30 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Just a thought.

I'm sure not convinced that Pearce is going to work out. What do you think of his chances?

I think he may workout longterm. I'd say about a 65-70 percent chance its likely. But it seems like NH is of the mindset that he is giving himself options at every position. FINALLY. That's something that has lacked in recent years in a major way.

You simply can't bank on young players, alone. So I think NH will give Pearce a shot to win a job. If he doesn't, there are options. The better player will play.

There is no downside to that approach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Just a thought.

I think he may workout longterm. I'd say about a 65-70 percent chance its likely. But it seems like NH is of the mindset that he is giving himself options at every position. FINALLY. That's something that has lacked in recent years in a major way.

You simply can't bank on young players, alone. So I think NH will give Pearce a shot to win a job. If he doesn't, there are options. The better player will play.

There is no downside to that approach.

I'd put his chances of being a productive major league regular at about 50/50. I think he's definitely a major leaguer, though. He had a monster year last year, but a 25 year old coming off of a year like that shouldn't flop at AAA. Maybe he is just having a bad year this year, but I have doubts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:37 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
I'd put his chances of being a productive major league regular at about 50/50. I think he's definitely a major leaguer, though. He had a monster year last year, but a 25 year old coming off of a year like that shouldn't flop at AAA. Maybe he is just having a bad year this year, but I have doubts.

I'm not as sold as I was lat year, but even so, I'm not worried. If there are options, you're not banking on any one guy, so you're not crippled if things fail.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:09 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

He is a short, compact guy with a pretty quick bat. I think that he will hit, but PNC is just not a park built for right-handed power hitters. He would probably wind up with a decent average and OBP, but limited HR"s and slugging due to the park effect.