Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mets interested in Snell as a reliever?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:16 am 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/29/heyman.tradeblog/index.html?eref=T1

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Given his first inning difficulties, I don't think Snell would be that effective coming in cold in the 8th inning of a tight game.

Post subject: Re: Mets interested in Snell as a reliever?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:19 am 
burghermeister wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/29/heyman.tradeblog/index.html?eref=T1

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Given his first inning difficulties, I don't think Snell would be that effective coming in cold in the 8th inning of a tight game.

I can't see that either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:20 am 

If true, a perfect example of a team trying to buy low.

Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:35 am 

Considering that Snell has two solid years of starting under his belt, and can throw 95 when he's on, you're not going to give up on him after one bad year.

Now Zach Duke, I can see moving to the bullpen. Probably not this year, but if he continues to pitch like this, it's just a matter of time until he's pretty much facing just lefties.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am 
Ralphie wrote:
Considering that Snell has two solid years of starting under his belt, and can throw 95 when he's on, you're not going to give up on him after one bad year.

Now Zach Duke, I can see moving to the bullpen. Probably not this year, but if he continues to pitch like this, it's just a matter of time until he's pretty much facing just lefties.

IF (emphasis on if) these pitchers they got back from the Yanks and if the snatch a legit pitching prospect in the Bay deal, then you have some real nice competition for the rotation. Some of the losers - Perhaps a Duke or Dumatrait - go into the pen.

Internal competition is invaluable in making any sports team its best, imho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:08 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

IF (emphasis on if) these pitchers they got back from the Yanks and if the snatch a legit pitching prospect in the Bay deal, then you have some real nice competition for the rotation. Some of the losers - Perhaps a Duke or Dumatrait - go into the pen.

Dumatrait has been the 2nd best starter on the team this year...With him around and the pitching just acquired...Duke might be gone

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:48 pm 
nad69dan wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Dumatrait has been the 2nd best starter on the team this year...With him around and the pitching just acquired...Duke might be gone

I definitely like what I've seen from Dumatrait, I just need to see more before I'm convinced he's going to keep it up.