Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Déjà vu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:15 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:
He speaks the truth here though. This does happen every year.

We all hope this year is different in terms of what we get back, but each year, when Steelers camp starts, the Pirates do trade proven players for cheaper unproven players. Nothing in that statement was untrue.

But emotions get in the way of the truth. Blast the poster. This time its different right? You've heard that before. Maybe the prospects will pan out. Problem is if that does indeed happen, there will be no Roberto Clemente or Willie Stargell spending their HOF career with Pittsburgh due to MLB economics and a cheap profit first owner.

So Bullish, what are you going to do with yourself after the Steelers move?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

We all hope this year is different in terms of what we get back, but each year, when Steelers camp starts, the Pirates do trade proven players for cheaper unproven players. Nothing in that statement was untrue.

But emotions get in the way of the truth. Blast the poster. This time its different right? You've heard that before. Maybe the prospects will pan out. Problem is if that does indeed happen, there will be no Roberto Clemente or Willie Stargell spending their HOF career with Pittsburgh due to MLB economics and a cheap profit first owner.

If they're sold, they won't move. Believe it it or not, I know Druckenmiller's business partners pretty well (and have met Stanley personally)... he has no interest in moving the team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:38 pm 

Elmer wrote:
If they're sold, they won't move. Believe it it or not, I know Druckenmiller's business partners pretty well (and have met Stanley personally)... he has no interest in moving the team.

There is no guarantee that Druckenmiller will be the buyer. I don't know him at all, but I don't trust him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:40 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

There is no guarantee that Druckenmiller will be the buyer. I don't know him at all, but I don't trust him.

The Steelers won't move. There's too much money to be made with them right where they are. The only open market is LA and there are three teams that are prime candidates to move there. The Rams, Jaguars, and Bills are just waiting for a solid stadium plan before packing up and moving.

After LA is filled, there won't be any more movement for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:41 pm 
Jeremy wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

The Steelers won't move. There's too much money to be made with them right where they are. The only open market is LA and there are three teams that are prime candidates to move there. The Rams, Jaguars, and Bills are just waiting for a solid stadium plan before packing up and moving.

I trust Druckenmiller fine. If someone else buys them and tries to move them, I don't think the NFL will allow it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

The region continues to lose population and the I have a feeling that some of the larger markets are itching to move away from revenue sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:45 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I trust Druckenmiller fine. If someone else buys them and tries to move them, I don't think the NFL will allow it.

You mean they'll stop a move just like they did with the Colts, Rams, Oilers, Browns and Raiders (twice)?

The league CAN'T stop a team from moving. The NFL does not have the antitrust exemption that baseball has. Ask Al Davis.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:46 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

You mean they'll stop a move just like they did with the Colts, Rams, Oilers, Browns and Raiders (twice)?

The league CAN'T stop a team from moving. The NFL does not have the antitrust exemption that baseball has. Ask Al Davis.

I just don't see it happening. It's all speculation. Agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I just don't see it happening. It's all speculation. Agree to disagree.

I don't think it's LIKELY to happen, but I sure do think that it's possible. I'll tell you one thing: it sure looks to me like somebody in the Commissioner's office has it in for Dan Rooney.

Besides, I mostly posted that just to tweak Bullish a little.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Ask me on the other sports section

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:31 pm 

The population loss has stabilized and some projections think it will grow as tech based business grows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:39 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
The population loss has stabilized and some projections think it will grow as tech based business grows.

The population is still falling. See the Post-Gazette earlier this week or last.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

The population is still falling. See the Post-Gazette earlier this week or last.

Then they're at odd with the Chicago Tribune and themselves.

Of course the area only has itself to blame. How you can't attract young professionals to the city is a mystery to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:18 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Don't get the CITY'S population freefall confused with the REGION'S population. I think Jeremy is referring to the region, which appears to be on its way back, per things I've read.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:41 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The overall population is declining sisy, as older folks move to Fla!!! But, Jeremey is right in that the YOUNG population loss has stopped, and is climbing as the research, robotics and nuclear industry explodes here.

Also, the population loss is part of Allegheny Co., only and also reflects movement to the surrounding Co.s and their much friendlier tax structures.

Allegheny Co. needs a complete tax overhaul to stop population movement to the burbs.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:52 pm 

way to keep to the subject matter..does population trends belong in this thread?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:56 pm 
bullishhitter wrote:
way to keep to the subject matter..does population trends belong in this thread?

Just a tangent to previous posts, BH.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:16 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
... nuclear industry explodes here.

ZM

That will torpedo property values :shock: !!!

And yet, I would wager that he-who-has-shit-in-his-name would STILL be posting his drivel here. Not even nuclear winter will stop the broken record.