Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Déjà vu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:45 am 

Like the Flowers blooming in the spring, leaves changing colors in the fall and snow flakes in the winter, you know you are dead smack in the middle of the summer when this happens:

Steeler Camp starts. The Pirates are at the bottom of the standings and their season is all but over. Veteran proven players being traded for cheaper unproven prospects.

The experience of déjà vu is usually accompanied by a compelling sense of familiarity, and also a sense of "eeriness", "strangeness", or "weirdness". The "previous" experience is most frequently attributed to a dream,(or with the Pirates, a nightmare)although in some cases there is a firm sense that the experience "genuinely happened" in the past.

Post subject: Re: Déjà vu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:56 am 

:roll:

Last edited by Argentum on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38 am 
bullishhitter wrote:
Like the Flowers blooming in the spring, leaves changing colors in the fall and snow flakes in the winter, you know you are dead smack in the middle of the summer when this happens:

Steeler Camp starts. The Pirates are at the bottom of the standings and their season is all but over. Veteran proven players being traded for cheaper unproven prospects.

The experience of déjà vu is usually accompanied by a compelling sense of familiarity, and also a sense of "eeriness", "strangeness", or "weirdness". The "previous" experience is most frequently attributed to a dream,(or with the Pirates, a nightmare)although in some cases there is a firm sense that the experience "genuinely happened" in the past.

He speaks the truth here though. This does happen every year.

We all hope this year is different in terms of what we get back, but each year, when Steelers camp starts, the Pirates do trade proven players for cheaper unproven players. Nothing in that statement was untrue.

Let's just hope this summer ritual ends after this year (at least the annual routine house-cleaning).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:37 pm 

Bullish ... posting about deja vu.

Does anybody else see the irony??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:39 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Not really....since I can't see what he posts! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:40 pm 
Bucfan wrote:

LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:41 pm 

He posted something?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:19 pm 

Elmer wrote:

We all hope this year is different in terms of what we get back, but each year, when Steelers camp starts, the Pirates do trade proven players for cheaper unproven players. Nothing in that statement was untrue.

But emotions get in the way of the truth. Blast the poster. This time its different right? You've heard that before. Maybe the prospects will pan out. Problem is if that does indeed happen, there will be no Roberto Clemente or Willie Stargell spending their HOF career with Pittsburgh due to MLB economics and a cheap profit first owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:35 pm 

In the words of Yogi he's deju vu all over again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:30 pm 
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

But emotions get in the way of the truth. Blast the poster. This time its different right? You've heard that before. Maybe the prospects will pan out. Problem is if that does indeed happen, there will be no Roberto Clemente or Willie Stargell spending their HOF career with Pittsburgh due to MLB economics and a cheap profit first owner.

I didn't blast you bro. I often agree with some of your points (though I think you harp on the same ones too much). I even pointed out that nothing you said in your post wasn't true.

We disagree on whether this time will be different. Many on this board think it WILL be different, you think it WON'T ... I think it MIGHT.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:48 pm 

Elmer wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I didn't blast you bro. I often agree with some of your points (though I think you harp on the same ones too much). I even pointed out that nothing you said in your post wasn't true.

We disagree on whether this time will be different. Many on this board think it WILL be different, you think it WON'T ... I think it MIGHT.

Sorry I was not refering to you. I get name called and ripped in here left & right. Who knows if its different...but after years & years of the same cycle repeating, what would your first conclusion be?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:05 pm 

Elmer wrote:

Good observation. Very good. Well-stated, and does a pretty good job of stating the way that I feel about these trades.

The past few years - no real young talent received in exchange. Stiffs like Matt Morris obtained in trade. Uber-stiffs like Jeremy Burnitz and Chris Stynes signed as free agents.

This year - some very good prospects obtained in trade. High-ceiling guys (Tabata, Brignac, Niemann, Ohlendorf).

Some other players that have performed well in the upper minors and who could be in the rotation (McCutch-pitcher).

Some big-time prospects who should be signed (Alvarez, Scheppers).

Some minor league talent in the system that also has promise (McCutch-hitter, and Walker [IMO]).

Add those guys to McLouth, Doumit, Maholm, Capps and the team has some power starters, power arms out of the pen, guys who hit and hit for power, both left and right-handed pitchers, both left and right-handed hitters.

The next step is to sign Alvarez, Scheppers, Wilson, Grossman. That would turn the spark into a flame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:20 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
The next step is to sign Alvarez, Scheppers, Wilson, Grossman. That would turn the spark into a flame.

Well put Bucfan. If they don't sign these guys, then it means nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Sorry I was not refering to you. I get name called and ripped in here left & right. Who knows if its different...but after years & years of the same cycle repeating, what would your first conclusion be?

If you're tired of the process, go do something else...we're tired of your repeating process...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:27 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

If you're tired of the process, go do something else...we're tired of your repeating process...

Now he wants to play the victim? That's priceless!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:29 pm 

Something like the pot calling the kettle black...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:35 pm 

Who said I was tired of the process or a victim? :lol: :lol: :lol:

deja cha ching vu for Nuttings profit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:41 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:

I'm Bullishitter..."I dont watch baseball but I'll post Smizik articles and remind everyone how Bob Nutting is hording money...and how watching the Pirates is bad, and will call people names, but when it happens to me I cry like a little sissy and start pointing fingers at the bullies on the board picking on him"...

Leave!!! Go somewhere else and post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:44 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

I'm Bullishitter..."I dont watch baseball but I'll post Smizik articles and remind everyone how Bob Nutting is hording money...and how watching the Pirates is bad, and will call people names, but when it happens to me I cry like a little sissy and start pointing fingers at the bullies on the board picking on him"...

Leave!!! Go somewhere else and post

You know.....I actually feel sorry for BH. Once upon a time I had an attitude like his. But then I grew up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 pm 

nad69dan wrote: