Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice outing by Gorzo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 pm 

Tom Gorzelanny had a nice line tonight in Indy:

5 inn 3 h 0 r 0 bb 5 k

Big Question.... Do we bring him back after a nice confidence boost like this? Saying that we need him badly is an understatement.

Post subject: Re: Nice outing by Gorzo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

I bet his next start is in a Pirates uniform.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:04 am 

he has ,for sure, earns a spot in our crappy rotation, :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:28 am 

Isnt he still leading the team in wins?

What luck he has had to pitch so poorly this year and still get credit for 6 wins...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 am 

No you don't bring him back. He can't get rewarded for one ok start. His pitch count was still atrocious...80 pitches thru 5 innings in AAA is not good.

Right now it should be a three-way race for Herrera's spot between Ohly, McCutch and Gorzo.

I think you need to look at their next starts to see who belongs.

Also, if we land a guy that is mlb-ready in a Bay trade, he will be thrown in to the mix.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:33 am 
PBB wrote:
No you don't bring him back. He can't get rewarded for one ok start. His pitch count was still atrocious...80 pitches thru 5 innings in AAA is not good.

Right now it should be a three-way race for Herrera's spot between Ohly, McCutch and Gorzo.

I think you need to look at their next starts to see who belongs.

Also, if we land a guy that is mlb-ready in a Bay trade, he will be thrown in to the mix.

- I agree re Gorzo. Leave him in the minors until he pitches 5-6 in a row like that.

- If we trade Jason Bay, we BETTER get someone to go into the rotation, along with a Hermida and one other ELITE prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am 

Bring Gorzo back.....now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:33 am 
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Bring Gorzo back.....now.

Just curious, AZ, why you want him back already?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:28 pm 

Elmer wrote:

Let me answer this, as Az's counselor and confidante. It is called "Van benschoten syndrome," which is the debilitating fear of seeing another wretched start by John Van benschoten or a similarly-overmatched pitcher.

VBS syndrome is marked by a sense of doom upon learning that tonight's starter has the highest ERA of any pitcher in major league history with over 75 innings, or has never gone more than 6 innings in any start, or has a total of one career victory. Other symptoms include tuning in to a replay of a professional golf match, rather than watching the Pirates' game; doing long-ignored chores, such as cleaning the rain gutters, rather than tuning in to see the starter give up 5 walks and 7 runs in 1 2/3 innings; and turning Pirate hats inside-out - not as a rally cap, mind you, but just to avoid having people see that it is a Pirate hat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:48 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Let me answer this, as Az's counselor and confidante. It is called "Van benschoten syndrome," which is the debilitating fear of seeing another wretched start by John Van benschoten or a similarly-overmatched pitcher.

VBS syndrome is marked by a sense of doom upon learning that tonight's starter has the highest ERA of any pitcher in major league history with over 75 innings, or has never gone more than 6 innings in any start, or has a total of one career victory. Other symptoms include tuning in to a replay of a professional golf match, rather than watching the Pirates' game; doing long-ignored chores, such as cleaning the rain gutters, rather than tuning in to see the starter give up 5 walks and 7 runs in 1 2/3 innings; and turning Pirate hats inside-out - not as a rally cap, mind you, but just to avoid having people see that it is a Pirate hat.

LOL. I'm with you on VBS, I'm just not suer Gorzo is the cure right now. I'd rather VBS be cured by one of the new guys, or even someone else at AAA. I want to see the old Gorzo back. I'm just not sure if he's ready for that just yet, and I fear bringing him back before he's truly found himself again might be counterproductive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:12 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Elmer wrote:

JVB is just a victim .... in another life this guy was a potent hitter :|