Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: State College Spikes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:22 pm 

What is going on with this team? Their record is something like 9-28! Horrendous! The talent must be non-existent! Are not the players in the NY-Penn League usually just drafted out of college? Does this suggest that Neil Huntington's first draft is a bad one? What does it mean for the future of the Pirates, still another lost year? I expect this ridiculously poor record to soon start drawing some attention and comment from the Pittsburgh sports pundits.

Post subject: Re: State College Spikes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:33 pm 
Bathgate wrote:
What is going on with this team? Their record is something like 9-28! Horrendous! The talent must be non-existent! Are not the players in the NY-Penn League usually just drafted out of college? Does this suggest that Neil Huntington's first draft is a bad one? What does it mean for the future of the Pirates, still another lost year? I expect this ridiculously poor record to soon start drawing some attention and comment from the Pittsburgh sports pundits.

NH's first draft might be a bad one (or it might end up being a good one) but you can't base that judgment off of what the Spikes are doing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:58 pm 

There were small articles about the Spikes the last 2 days in the PG. They have the worst record in all of pro baseball. About half the players are 2008 Neil Huntington draftees. He says he is "not happy" about it, but views it as an aberration, since some draftees have not signed and a few were assigned to higher leagues. Every other team surely has unsigned players and assigned a few higher, so I as a fan say this is UNACCEPTABLE. Maybe Pedro Alvarez and Tanner Whats-His-Name can save this draft, but it's sounding bad. I'm on board with the trades, but Dave Littlefield could have stocked the Spikes with a bunch of non-talents. Huntington needs to rid the organization of the the rest of the Littlefield people. If he goes 2 years with sub-par drafts, Huntingon himself must be fired. No more sticking with bad GM's for 5-6 years. That's insanity and that's what McClatchy did twice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:35 pm 

Bathgate - not having J. Wilson, Tanner Scheppers in the rotation and not having Alvarez hitting 4th may have played a small role in the team's troubles. Just speculating, here.

Also, somebody else - I believe in the Trib-Review(??) - pointed out:

"Finally, regarding State College, a commenter in this forum yesterday did a bit of homework: The six June draftees currently pitching for the Spikes are 15th-rounder Michael Colla, 25th-rounder Brian Leach, 38th-rounder Alan Knotts, 44th-rounder Mike Williams, 45th-rounder Allen Ponder and 48th-rounder Owen Brolsma. Those six are a combined 3-4 with a 4.54 ERA. The rest, which Kyle Stark told me are either from the previous administration or extended spring guys, are 6-30 with a 7.39 ERA."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:27 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Those six are a combined 3-4 with a 4.54 ERA. The rest... are 6-30 with a 7.39 ERA."

Well, that changes my perspective quite a bit. maybe Huntington will end up being our savior after all.

But how bad is it that I live in State College and have absolutely no desire to see the Spikes play?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm 

Signing some of those top picks over the next few days and assigning them to the Spikes could change your mind. I grew up near State College and now live about 2 1/2 hours away. I know I would make a few weekend to Mom and Dads to catch a few games to watch Alverez play. I think that would create some excitement with this team although it may not do much to their win/loss record.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 am 

The Spikes are running some goofy system where they have 10 different "starters". Each guy pitches only 4 innings at a time. So they are wedded to this 4 inning concept rather than trying to win games, which sounds like the main reason why they can't win any.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:50 am 

I read this article about the Spikes (http://www.centredaily.com/sports/story/754009.html), and I had to email the author and ask who the heck are the Spikes? Why do we care that they are 9-35? Winning a championship in the New York-Penn league helps the PBC in what way? As for his demanding of the Pirates to sign Alvarez just so he can help out the Spikes, it just proves why he is writing for a small newspaper and has no clue what exactly is the primary goal for minor league ballclubs.