Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi from Holland Europe, Is this trade so BAD??, help me out
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:40 pm 

Hi and nice warm wellcome as newcomer on this site from The Netherlands Europe!

Excuse me if my english sometimes is incorrect! I'll do my best

I've read all comments on the Nady/Marte deal and i am wondering if this is such a bad trade..
Nady is except for his solo home-run is having a terrible start, the yanks now lost 3 in a row and his at bats do
seem lost.. Isn't it that he had a important, but not pressured role with the pirates that he was batting well, and now with the yanks he is just a role player behind the big stars. So their is more pressure and can't live up to that.. Was he so great with the Mets and Padres? For me now will prove what he's worth.. having to contribute..

And about Marte.. true he is a well set-up man, a good reliever, but not yet for the Pirates a really need to keep as long as you are not a contender..

And all the prospects we got back, are already mostly better then we had in the AAA.. Tabata is the only long shot
that we can not judge yet.. attitude problems.. ok, but maybe a new club helps this problem.. maybe stars are this way. just watch and see the next years.. Totally.. i do love the trade..! :)

What about you fans.. is it truly so average...

Greetz Hugo

Post subject: Re: Hi from Holland Europe, Is this trade so BAD??, help me out
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 pm 
PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:

I've read all comments on the Nady/Marte deal and i am wondering if this is such a bad trade..
Nady is except for his solo home-run is having a terrible start, the yanks now lost 3 in a row and his at bats do
seem lost.. Isn't it that he had a important, but not pressured role with the pirates that he was batting well, and now with the yanks he is just a role player behind the big stars. So their is more pressure and can't live up to that.. Was he so great with the Mets and Padres? For me now will prove what he's worth.. having to contribute..

And about Marte.. true he is a well set-up man, a good reliever, but not yet for the Pirates a really need to keep as long as you are not a contender..

And all the prospects we got back, are already mostly better then we had in the AAA.. Tabata is the only long shot
that we can not judge yet.. attitude problems.. ok, but maybe a new club helps this problem.. maybe stars are this way. just watch and see the next years.. Totally.. i do love the trade..! :)

Greetz Hugo

There are a ton of opinions/takes on this, my friend. I suggest reading the threads below. You'll get a bunch of different takes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:47 pm 

Welcome to the board! I think this trade cannot be fully evaluated yet, give it some time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:

Greetz Hugo

Greetings my friend, welcome to the board, we are glad to have you. That was a very good post. I share the same sentiment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:10 pm 

Welcome aboard! This makes, by my count, 4 Pirates fans posting here from across the pond, all from 4 different nations.

UK (Bertie), France (FANCH), Deutschland (Bukanier), and now Holland. Am I missing anyone?

And don't worry about your English...we have members here who have lived in Pittsburgh their whole lives that, based on what they post here, can't speak English properly. And if you ask Bertie, none of us can!! ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:15 pm 

BBF wrote:
And if you ask Bertie, none of us can!! ;) :lol:

Git aht 'n at!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:17 pm 

Welcome to the board. Enjoy and post again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:57 pm 

Welcome aboard, from one of my favorite places on earth. Hope you find it ... what's the Dutch word ... gezellig(?).

I think you'll find most here in support of the Nady/Marte trade, with a few vocal dissenters-for-the-sake-of-dissenting. I'm pretty much on board with Joe Sheehan from BP.

Question for you: do the Amsterdam Pirates still exist?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:09 pm 

In case anyone missed it, I almost did, LtCol Kojak Slaphead embedded a link to the story. It's a good objective read. Here it is..........

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/07/28/bp.nadymarteblake/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:09 pm 

BBF wrote:
Welcome aboard! This makes, by my count, 4 Pirates fans posting here from across the pond, all from 4 different nations.

UK (Bertie), France (FANCH), Deutschland (Bukanier), and now Holland. Am I missing anyone?

And don't worry about your English...we have members here who have lived in Pittsburgh their whole lives that, based on what they post here, can't speak English properly. And if you ask Bertie, none of us can!! ;) :lol:

Gotta love them Yinzers from da Burgh...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:45 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hello 'n 'at from da 'burgh...

Argentum, that is a great article. I'm interested though and intrigued.

Does anyone see a relationship between Casey Blake, LaRoche and Jack Wilson? Can Blake be a 3b for the Dodger with LaRoche coming our way for Wilson? Or, visa versa Blake coming here? He was after all, and Indian...

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:04 pm 

Hey guys.. great to be here...

took a while (following the pirates closely since 1989)!!

4 Pirates fans based in europe.. wowsers.. did not know that.. indeed the only fans
in holland are rooting for yanks, bosox and some cards and braves... i am probably the
only dutch piratesfan... it is cool though.. kind of positive sickness!!

The Amsterdam Pirates are still there, but the last few years they truly copy-catted the pittsburgh pirates and went a class lower.. yes the dutch baseball system is different and you can go down.. However the dutch baseball is getting better every year..
4th and 5th at olympics and world championships.. we even won a game at the classics!!

that article that was posted, was an superb one

greetz Hugo

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.