Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snell tonight
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:40 pm 

Snell is just lost out there.

2 innings- 6 hits, 3 runs and could easily been more.

42 pitches in 2 innings-- can't make it 4 at this rate.

Wilson made a great rely to nail Tulowiski at the plate.

Post subject: Re: Snell tonight
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 pm 

He's made it through 4 innings and only a total of 60 pitches. Not so great, had some very good fielding behind him, but this past inning was better.

We're getting shut out as of 4th

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:24 pm 

He cannot get out a crappy hitter - Willie Taveras. That has been his downfall.

If giving up a HR to Matt Holliday made a pitcher suspect, then the line-up of suspect pitchers in baseball would fill an Amtrak train.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:28 pm 

5 innings, 6 hits allowed (all in the first 3 innings), 3 runs, 0 walks, 5 K's, 73 pitches. He was throwing a ton of balls the first 2 innings. He did not walk guys, but had a lot of 2-0 and 3-1 counts that hurt him.

But I am pleased that Snell has battled through his early troubles and is putting together a decent game. At that rate, he could go 7 and give up 3 runs. That would be a huge step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:04 pm 

Another good inning by Snell, with help from Doumit on the pitch-out.

Snell really looks good. Throwing his fastball for strike one, really good velocity. I am impressed with the effort. He made a mistake to some guy named "Holliday" and paid the price. I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that a bunch of other pitchers will pay this price - more than paid the price for a ticket to watch "Ishtar."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 pm 

We'll take that 7 innings and he really did get it together after the 3rd. Maybe he'll get a little confidence from that, he pitched well the last innings.

Doumit is fast becoming the very best we got.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:35 pm 

how about pearce with the 2 sac flys, its about time someone can hit a flyball with a runner on 3rd and less that 2 outs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 am 

jleisele58 wrote:
how about pearce with the 2 sac flys, its about time someone can hit a flyball with a runner on 3rd and less that 2 outs

Yes, that's what this team is missing: more sac flies. :roll:

Just so you know, the Pirates have 34 sac flies on the season, which puts them at 7th in MLB in that category. I don't think sac flies are the problem with this team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:43 am 
Bucfan wrote:
Another good inning by Snell, with help from Doumit on the pitch-out.

Snell really looks good. Throwing his fastball for strike one, really good velocity. I am impressed with the effort. He made a mistake to some guy named "Holliday" and paid the price. I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that a bunch of other pitchers will pay this price - more than paid the price for a ticket to watch "Ishtar."

I agree Bucfan. Snell's stuff looked sharp. Too many pitches early, but compared to how he's looked most of this year, I'm very pleased.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 pm 

Well, better with some hope. He is not yet a #1 or 2 rotration guy that we expected and counted on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:34 pm 

jleisele58 wrote:

JLeisele -
I'll forward the memo to you about why it is improper to suggest anything positive about a player hitting a sacrifice fly to drive in a run with less than 2 outs.
In sum, the batter failed. He did not get on base. It is his job to get on base. The fact that a batter may have made contact with the pitch and hit it in the air and deep enough to score a run is not worthy of any merit whatsoever. He is simply lucky that a runner was on third at the time of his failed at-bat.
If you want further evidence, simply review the tape of last night's game. Both times after Pearce flied out (a.k.a. "failing") and a run scored, he was greeted in the dugout by cold stares by coaches and players alike for his failed performance. No different than if he struck out or tapped out weakly to the pitcher.

And, yes, I'm being sarcastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:46 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
jleisele58 wrote:

JLeisele -
I'll forward the memo to you about why it is improper to suggest anything positive about a player hitting a sacrifice fly to drive in a run with less than 2 outs.
In sum, the batter failed. He did not get on base. It is his job to get on base. The fact that a batter may have made contact with the pitch and hit it in the air and deep enough to score a run is not worthy of any merit whatsoever. He is simply lucky that a runner was on third at the time of his failed at-bat.
If you want further evidence, simply review the tape of last night's game. Both times after Pearce flied out (a.k.a. "failing") and a run scored, he was greeted in the dugout by cold stares by coaches and players alike for his failed performance. No different than if he struck out or tapped out weakly to the pitcher.

And, yes, I'm being sarcastic.

I suppose you measure success by the number of high-fives a player gets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 pm 

Willton wrote:

I measure mine by the number of middle fingers I see extended at me.

And yes, I am very successful under this standard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:16 am 

Argentum wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

:lol:

I haven't noticed an lack of sac flies this year. Also, an important factor in sacrifice flies is when they come. There's abig difference between a sac fly when you're down one run in the 8th and when you're up 5 in the second.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:33 am 

Willton wrote:

My view of what constitutes a successful and productive plate appearance is not that myopic. Yours?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:10 am 

Given your view of what is a successful plate appearance, I'm sure that you were cursing Chris Gomez' efforts as a pinch hitter last night in the bottom of the 6th . . . I'm not sure that Clint Hurdle or any other Rockie was viewing Gomez' plate appearance as the equivalent of a strike out or a tap out to the pitcher but, hey, what do they know?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:16 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

My view of what constitutes a successful and productive plate appearance is not that myopic. Yours?

It's very simple: not getting out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Given your view of what is a successful plate appearance, I'm sure that you were cursing Chris Gomez' efforts as a pinch hitter last night in the bottom of the 6th . . . I'm not sure that Clint Hurdle or any other Rockie was viewing Gomez' plate appearance as the equivalent of a strike out or a tap out to the pitcher but, hey, what do they know?

I don't curse anyone's efforts, as I don't believe any player is intentionally trying to get out during any plate appearance, with the exception of a sacrifice bunt. What I won't do is celebrate a hitter for hitting a deep flyout that gives a runner the opportunity to score when the true credit goes to the runner for being there in the first place. Without Minky at 3rd, Gomez's plate appearance is just another flyout.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:24 am 

Willton wrote:
It's very simple: not getting out.

"Simple" is an apt adjective. Dead-on accurate.