Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bay rumor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:18 pm 

I'm not much for rumors, but it's that time of the year so.......

.........http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008 ... radar.html

Thought this was the most interesting tidbit, "But a proposed deal, which would have brought Bay to Atlanta in exchange for four Minor Leaguers, was killed when presented to the Pirates owners for approval."

Just think, only three more days of this stuff!

Post subject: Re: Bay rumor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:39 pm 

I wouldn't do the deal for any less than their top 4 prosects...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I'm not much for rumors, but it's that time of the year so.......

.........http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008 ... radar.html

Thought this was the most interesting tidbit, "But a proposed deal, which would have brought Bay to Atlanta in exchange for four Minor Leaguers, was killed when presented to the Pirates owners for approval."

Just think, only three more days of this stuff!

I pretty much agree with Pat at WHYGAVS.

http://whereisvanslyke.blogspot.com/

"* It's from Mark Bowman, the Braves MLB.com beat writer. You know what MLB.com beat writers can be like.

* Lillibridge has been terrible since being traded to the Braves and is maybe a fringe prospect at this point, if we're being kind. Jones is a semi-promising 24-year-old outfield prospect. Given what Huntington just traded for, does it seem like either one would be on his radar?

* The Braves are almost certainly shopping Mark Teixeira and looking to sell at this deadline. Why would they be interested in Bay?

* The deal was nixed by the ownership? Has Bob Nutting seemed even remotely interested in the day-to-day baseball operations since he hired Coonelly last year?"

Sounds like a load of hooey to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:49 am 

sisyphus wrote:

I think you are correct. From today's PPG:

A high-level source within the Pirates emphatically rejected an account on MLB.com yesterday -- reported by no other outlet -- that the Pirates and Braves had agreed to a Bay-for-four-prospects trade, only to have it vetoed by the Pirates' ownership. No aspect of it was accurate, the source said, and ownership, while informed of pending trades, has not vetoed any since team president Frank Coonelly took over last summer.

An Atlanta source also disputed the report.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:36 am 
Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I think you are correct. From today's PPG:

A high-level source within the Pirates emphatically rejected an account on MLB.com yesterday -- reported by no other outlet -- that the Pirates and Braves had agreed to a Bay-for-four-prospects trade, only to have it vetoed by the Pirates' ownership. No aspect of it was accurate, the source said, and ownership, while informed of pending trades, has not vetoed any since team president Frank Coonelly took over last summer.

An Atlanta source also disputed the report.

It would depend on who the four "minor leaguers" are. That can mean a whole lot of different things. It woudln't surprise me of Conelly vetoed that, or another trade at some point. That guy seems to know his stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:31 pm 

New rumor has Bay involved in a three way deal with Manny going to FLA, Bay to BoSox and Hermida and prospects to Pittsburgh. If the Bucs can get Hermida, Mike Stanton (young prospect, not old reliever) and one of Florida's pitching prospects (Volstad or Tucker) I would do it. Hermida is developing into a good player, Stanton is a top notch young prospect (26 HR's in A ball this year at age 19).

Personally I would hate to see JBay go, but if we can continue to legitimately restock the minors with talent (and not kill the current group too bad) it is worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 pm 

I agree, I would love to get Hermida and Stanton, but think about this.. You can only play 3 outfielders at a time. Pierce, Mccutchen, Morgan, Tabata, Hermida, Mclouth, Stanton.. You cant play all of those guys at the same time. I think we should try and get Stanton from the Marlins and someone like Masterson or Lowrie from the Redsox. Preferably, we would get all 3 of those guys but I dont think that would happen. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 pm 

The Marlins getting Manny?

Their payroll right now is about $22 million. Manny is scheduled to make, by himself, $20 million this year.

I just do not see this happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:12 pm 

Finally a deal with the Bucs holding the linchpin...Sox don't need another OF that bats lefthanded...their lineup would be unbalanced with so many lefties...

Maybe the Bucs can hold out for at least three prospects, plus Hermedia...I'd settle for two of their young pitchers like Sanchez or Volstead plus Stanton and a pitcher from the Sox...

On a side note...another Fla. prospect and Hickory area boy worth watching is Kris Harvey who wants to return to pitching...his dad was a stud for a few years in the bigs and he's been begging the Marlins to move his son to the pen..instead of wallowing around as a mediocre outfield prospect at AA...might be worth a shot...Harvey was really good at Clemson...besides we need another reliever from Clemson to pair with Moskos...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:13 pm 

I watched Volstad when he was in single A and he was good. Hermida would be good with Volstad and some good prospects. Why don't we get Manny instead and FLA takes Bay. :lol: JKJK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 am 
McBupp18 wrote:
I watched Volstad when he was in single A and he was good. Hermida would be good with Volstad and some good prospects. Why don't we get Manny instead and FLA takes Bay. :lol: JKJK

The entertainment value, alone, would be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:13 am 

Bucfan wrote:
The Marlins getting Manny?

Their payroll right now is about $22 million. Manny is scheduled to make, by himself, $20 million this year.

I just do not see this happening.

Boston is paying Florida the rest of Manny's salary this year (about $7 million) as a part of the deal. And Manny won't be sticking around there after this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 am 

The Marlins have stated they'll add salary if it gets them in to the post season. Plus manny would be a huge draw for the new ballpark or in their new city.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:20 am 
Jeremy wrote:
The Marlins have stated they'll add salary if it gets them in to the post season. Plus manny would be a huge draw for the new ballpark or in their new city.

Manny would be a draw anywhere. His talent and "name" obviously, but because he's a loose cannon, he's a lightning rod for attention.