Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: One good thing that came out of the "fake" trade ...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:56 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Gosh. You're the first person I've heard that preferred the first trade. If GMs and baseball analysts - even Kevin Goldstein of the sacred Baseball Pospectus - were ALL down on that first trade and you weren't, I think I'll go ahead and trust their unanimous judgment.

Name a single GM who criticized the original trade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:30 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

Perotto's article notes that a poll of 16 "baseball executives" showed that 12 believed that the Yankees got the better end of the trade, 2 called it even, and 2 thought that the Pirates received the better part of the deal.

For what it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 pm 

I also preferred the original deal, then backed off some of my praise once the second deal was announced. Econo, where'd you hear Kontos has a labrum tear? I've never heard that. Will Carroll reported, after the first deal was nixed, that Coke was the one who flunked his physical. Both players later denied it.

Kontos missed a couple months last year with a shoulder injury, but that was a year ago and he has had no obvious ill effects as a result. He's also 2 1/2 years younger than any of the pitchers we got instead. His scouting profile was better than any of the pitchers we got, and his performance record was much more impressive relative to his age. McCutchen is plainly better than Coke and Karstens probably is too, but I'd still rather gamble with Kontos. I don't think there's anything unreasonable or credibility-killing about that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:09 am 

Gosh. People on this board don't like others disagreeing with them, do they?? If you liked the trade or dislike it as I do, it's just an opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 am 

Zane41 wrote:
Gosh. People on this board don't like others disagreeing with them, do they?? If you liked the trade or dislike it as I do, it's just an opinion.

It's called discussion. This is how people discuss their opinions. If you're afraid of having your opinion attacked, then you probably shouldn't put it out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:17 am 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Gosh. You're the first person I've heard that preferred the first trade. If GMs and baseball analysts - even Kevin Goldstein of the sacred Baseball Pospectus - were ALL down on that first trade and you weren't, I think I'll go ahead and trust their unanimous judgment.

Read the earlier posts dude. You know damn well the names of the GMs aren't public. I'm going on what baseball analysts have reported they heard from GMs and baseball execs.

If you think they're making that up, don't believe them, that's certainly your right. Just as it is mine to believe them. I'm not the conspiracy theorist that you are.

I might not believe every single report I hear, but I don't think baseball analysts from various networks/publications got together to conspire and make up responses from baseball execs for some agenda in the top secret "Xavier Nady trade."