Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Start 5-yr Plan #4
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:36 pm 

Like I said, when we are a championship caliber team, only then can we comment. Jason is a great piece on a great team ... we are in the process of losing for the 16 year in a row. To continue to do the same thing (i.e. ignoring our farm system, not signing Latin American players, drafting players based on signability, and trading our better players for less than they are worth) and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity. Say what you want but Huntington stated his plan when he was hired and has executed it to a "t" ever since. Like I said before, if he continues down this current path, Pittsburgh will be a relevant team sooner than later.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:40 pm 

wouldnt even bother to argue preach, he will just keep with his tagline time after time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:46 pm 

preach1 wrote:
Like I said, when we are a championship caliber team, only then can we comment. Jason is a great piece on a great team ... we are in the process of losing for the 16 year in a row. To continue to do the same thing (i.e. ignoring our farm system, not signing Latin American players, drafting players based on signability, and trading our better players for less than they are worth) and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity. Say what you want but Huntington stated his plan when he was hired and has executed it to a "t" ever since. Like I said before, if he continues down this current path, Pittsburgh will be a relevant team sooner than later.

When we are a championship team?....and this ownership group have given you signs of this ever happening? Supporting this team has been insanity. Not making ownership accountable is insanity yet the ownership takes advantage of the fans who expect a better team with winning results, get served garbage, and keep coming back for more.
:D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:02 pm 

I guess you are right. I'm sure it would be better for the Pirates to leave town because the owner has shown he is unwilling to make financial commitments to a team that has not shown the ability to win on a consistent basis. He is probably laughing uncontrollably by the idiots like me that think the cleaning house in upper management and the talk of a new era in Pirates' history is just that, talk. Because you and I both know that the changes over the past 6 months are just a mirage. He really is trying hard to trick the Pirate fans. But people like you and me can see right through the smoke and see him for who he really is. So let’s start a movement to get the Bucs to leave town because we surely can't get the owner to commit to building a championship caliber team! There is another solution to this situation, try changing your disposition ... really dude nobody like a negative person all the time. And a constant dose of negativism distorts reality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:26 pm 

preach1 wrote:
I guess you are right. I'm sure it would be better for the Pirates to leave town because the owner has shown he is unwilling to make financial commitments to a team that has not shown the ability to win on a consistent basis. He is probably laughing uncontrollably by the idiots like me that think the cleaning house in upper management and the talk of a new era in Pirates' history is just that, talk. Because you and I both know that the changes over the past 6 months are just a mirage. He really is trying hard to trick the Pirate fans. But people like you and me can see right through the smoke and see him for who he really is. So let’s start a movement to get the Bucs to leave town because we surely can't get the owner to commit to building a championship caliber team! There is another solution to this situation, try changing your disposition ... really dude nobody like a negative person all the time. And a constant dose of negativism distorts reality.

ahh the old they'll leave town if fans dont go. Wrong ! First of all, PNC has a lease that prohibits whoever owns the team that they can not leave for 20 or 25 years. 2nd, why move given the situation they are in, almost a profit before a ticket is sold, a 15-20 million dollar profit even with a lousy team with little economic risk,,,no need to leave town.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:34 pm 

Then I hope your constant barrage of criticism against the organization makes you feel better because sure isn't affecting the current management team. Maybe they need to call you in for a face to face and you can turn this organization all around since no matter what they do, according to you it is wrong!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:43 pm 

preach1 wrote:
Then I hope your constant barrage of criticism against the organization makes you feel better because sure isn't affecting the current management team. Maybe they need to call you in for a face to face and you can turn this organization all around since no matter what they do, according to you it is wrong!

Are you kidding? From a business standpoint, they do everything right. They make alot of money, with little risk...and do it by having a lousy product. I dont blame them. I stopped buying it. Do you keep going to a store and buying a lousy product?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:57 pm 

No. If I don't like a product I simply find a replacement product and move on. If you don't like the product then find a replacement and walk away. Don't waste your time and effort trying to convince others to spend their valuable time complaining about the product when they are adults and can decide for themselves. Again, if you don't like the product walk away! The problem is, down deep you do like the product and you can't walk away. As far as you not "buying it" your actions speak louder than your words and no matter how much you deny it, it is your actions that expose your heart. Since you continue to contribute to a Pirates message board it proves you are hooked by the product you seem to despise. Seems to me you are stuck aren't you :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:08 pm 

Preach1, don't waste your time dealing with him. He's been regurgitating for years now. Hopefully now that Steeler season has started, he'll spend more time at St. Vincent trying to convince Big Ben to let him massage Ben's sore groin.

Oh, by the way, welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:16 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:38 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Preach1, don't waste your time dealing with him. He's been regurgitating for years now. Hopefully now that Steeler season has started, he'll spend more time at St. Vincent trying to convince Big Ben to let him massage Ben's sore groin.

DING, DING, DING! This fight is over and Argentum is declared the winner by knock-out!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:40 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
Offense wasn't the problem, as I see it.

Perhaps that's why we obtained five pitchers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:43 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
preach1 wrote:
I respectfully disagree with your statement. We don't know if proven talent will continue to be traded away when their contract is up. We haven't had a good team for 15 years. We will have to wait and see when the team is "championship caliber" with what happens to the stars then. Until that point of development it is purely speculation. My take on it is (again speculation) that we will lock up the main pieces and trade away disposible parts to retool the flow of talent coming through the minors. This is how all small market teams do business without the help of a salary cap.

Jason Bay is not a main piece? Jason Bay is a disposible part? It has not been by pure luck that during the 16 years of losing, the payroll is always in the bottom tier. I'll grant you the small market team, but this is also a tightwad owner team, and there has been not one indication the team will spend near the MLB average. Keep buying the same old spin.

How many division titles did Bay help the Pirate win?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:49 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
preach1 wrote:

When we are a championship team?....and this ownership group have given you signs of this ever happening?
Quote:
Many times, starting in spring training when it became clear that they preferred Doumit to Paulino and that all the talk about a competition for the center field spot was just lip service, and most recently with the Nady and Bay trades.

Quote:
Supporting this team has been insanity. Not making ownership accountable is insanity yet the ownership takes advantage of the fans who expect a better team with winning results, get served garbage, and keep coming back for more.
:D :D :D :D

So you have concluded that before their first season in their jobs is complete that the new front office is incompetent? The Yankees bottomed out in 1990 with 71 wins. Even with all of Steinbrenner's cash and his willingness to spend it they took four years to build a team capable of winning a division title, but the Pirates are supposed to do it overnight with a fraction of the resources.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:51 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
preach1 wrote:

ahh the old they'll leave town if fans dont go. Wrong ! First of all, PNC has a lease that prohibits whoever owns the team that they can not leave for 20 or 25 years.

Once again I will point out that the Pirates original lease for Three Rivers Stadium is due to expire in 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:53 pm 

Don't waste your time dealing with Nuttings team. He's been regurgitating the losing for years now.(is it 16 years?starting to lose count) As usual now that Steeler season has started, News coverage spends more time at St. Vincent trying to cover everything about Big Ben's sore groin.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:18 pm 

Then follow the media and let us talk PIRATE BASEBALL....

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:32 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
Don't waste your time dealing with Nuttings team. He's been regurgitating the losing for years now.(is it 16 years?starting to lose count) As usual now that Steeler season has started, News coverage spends more time at St. Vincent trying to cover everything about Big Ben's sore groin.

Another example of how He-who-has-shit-in-his-name resorts to child-like tactics when attempting to argue a point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:50 am 

Argentum wrote:

Is that so Wilton ...er uh Econo?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Is that so Wilton ...er uh Econo?

Yes, BS, it is so. Your constant copying of other people's statements and then turning them into a pot-shot against the Pirates or Pirate fans is not conducive to adult discussion. It is the equivalent of, "I know you are, but what am I?" I find that to be child-like.

Certainly, Ag's comment isn't what I'd call meaningful discourse, but you've been guilty of the aforementioned behavior long before Ag made that comment. It's just a shame that I can't go back to the old board to show it to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next