Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Start 5-yr Plan #4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 pm 
Gosh, this is baseball not cancer research or world economics. Lighten up everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:38 pm 

preach1 wrote:
I guess you are right. I'm sure it would be better for the Pirates to leave town because the owner has shown he is unwilling to make financial commitments to a team that has not shown the ability to win on a consistent basis. He is probably laughing uncontrollably by the idiots like me that think the cleaning house in upper management and the talk of a new era in Pirates' history is just that, talk. Because you and I both know that the changes over the past 6 months are just a mirage. He really is trying hard to trick the Pirate fans. But people like you and me can see right through the smoke and see him for who he really is. So let’s start a movement to get the Bucs to leave town because we surely can't get the owner to commit to building a championship caliber team! There is another solution to this situation, try changing your disposition ... really dude nobody like a negative person all the time. And a constant dose of negativism distorts reality.

I didn't notice any sarcasm here... :D

Nice comment preach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:12 pm 

I haven't been around all weekend so I didn't see the addition of "Preach", but his argument was well articulated and really gives a true indication of how I feel about the ownership group as of end-of-season 2007 to date.

Contrary to guys who would argue that Nutting is not dedicated to investing money into this organization, I can see a few reason why he wouldn't in the past.

1. Previous GM's spent bulk money on obtaining end-of-career or past-prime athletes for overboard contracts (Mondesi, D. Bell, Burnitz, Morris, etc.

2. What is the sense of pumping more money into the franchise if the minor leagues were void of talent to even field a core team to start.

3. Crippling contracts to players who were declining (Kendall, Morris, etc.)

4. Nowhere even close talentwise to competition, so why waste money to get over .500 for the year.

5. Not too much interaction with the daily operations of the club, that was left to McClatchy

6. Previous GM's continued to bail on elaborate plans that were established, some of which may have worked if they stayed the course

And a few reason why I think he will now invest in the future

1. GM and President have established a clearcut plan and are remaining vigilent in its course

2. A stronger talented core is being developed, a core that is younger and has considerable upside

3. Nutting has re-established himself as an active participant in team management

4. The investment in hiring very qualified and cutting edge management personnel to give the PBC every opportunity to compete with larger market clubs

5. An apparent trust factor with the President and GM at this point to establish contracts that are affordable and imaginative, trying to keep that young core together, longer, at a more reasonable cost.

6. When this mixture of veterans and younger core can develop some consistency and begin to show that winning is in its grasp, higher priced quality veterans will be brought in at the right time to fill holes, and to make that extra push for the postseason.

So complaining about whether or not Nutting tosses a few extra thousand dollars into his pocket or not is kinda fruitless at this point, its comparible to the trade we made, its a wait and see situation. History does not qualify as proof to how Nutting will react in the future pertaining to releasing funds. Simply because he didn't have a quality organization and frankly I wouldn't have invested any money into as well.

Here is an answer to speculation that the fans are responsible for appeasing Nutting and his so-called "Money making scams;" Surely fans will come to the game regardless of what's happening on the field or in the front office because baseball is something that lives within true fans. Fans of this great game will fill ballparks all over the US because the game of baseball bridges the gaps between fathers and their sons, it provides heroes for youngsters, it provides memory invoking sounds like the sound of the wood bat striking the ball, and many other reasons. Yes we would love to see our teams competitive and feel that "playoff intesity," but sometimes teams must struggle to find their ways. The PBC I believe has embarked upon that path and when we are successful, it will be sweet redemption.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:56 pm 

PF13:

A well-stated and thoughtful post. Let me respond by saying, "Nutting you say will change BH's mind."

Or, to quote General Anthony McAuliffe when asked by the Germans to surrender the town of Bastogne, "NUTS!"

Finally, the following illustrates the effort to convince BH that being a Pirate fan is okay:

ImageImage Image

NUTS!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8