Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nady off to a mezzo-mezzo start with NYY
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:26 pm 

For those not watching on Fox, he's playing LF. Has 2 putouts so far. At bat, he's 0-for-2 but has walked and scored and been hit by a pitch. Caught stealing on a strike-'em-out, throw-'em-out double play to end the top of the 7th. He must have got a late start on the steal attempt with Melky Cabrera batting because the tag was waiting for him when he arrived at 2B.

It looks odd to see him in a Yankee uniform.

Marte is coming on in bottom of the 7th, with two Red Sox on and Ortiz due up. This should be interesting.

Update: Marte K's Ortiz on a pitch practically in the dirt. Isn't left in to face Manny-being-Manny.

Post subject: Re: Nady off to a mezzo-mezzo start with NYY
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:03 pm 

Joe Buck, McCarver, and Ken Rosenthal are laying it on awfully thick that the Pirates could and should have got much more for Nady and Marte than they did.

Subject just came up again, for at least the third time.

Geez.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 pm 

They should have gotten those guys just for Nady not him and Marte
I don't get this trade
Ken Rosenthal is right about this trade not being enough for the Pirates

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:50 pm 

cbk87 wrote:
I don't get this trade

Xavier Nady is an average major league outfielder having a great year. In return for him and Marte the Pirates got two guys who might finish the season in their rotation, another guy who might join it next year, and a potential all star outfielder. They addressed their greatest weakness, rotation depth. The Pirates got a fine return for Nady even if only one or two of these guys work out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:58 pm 

Sis, Thanks for keeping this whole thing in perspective. Nady is having a career year, and NH dealt him at exactly the right time. Marte is really nothing that special.....he can get out a lefty occasionally. If two of the guys we acquired turn out, then it's a great trade.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:59 pm 

If making it to the majors qualifies as legitimizing a trade, Jimmy Anderson must be a legend in the eyes of scouts for Pittsburgh. NONE of those pitchers acquired will make this team a playoff contender in 2010 or 2011 so Tabata better turn into the hitting machine version of Manny Ramirez for this trade to be worth it.

Ricardo Rincon = Brian Giles
Giles = Jason Bay, Oliver Perez, and some lefty that flamed out quickly
Perez = Xavier Nady
Nady/Marte = Jose Tabata, Ross Ohlendorf, Jeff Karstens, and Dan McCutchen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:00 pm 

Did they suggest players they should have received? I doubt it. Typical talking heads, all fluff and no substance.

If they are so "in-the-know", tell us who other teams were offering. Tell us what proper value should have been.

These rumor reporters have slightly less credibility than Mel Kiper Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:09 pm 

We got what we needed thats for sure PITCHING , but you know what I just hoped to get allot more since we gave Marte in this trade also the guy was wanted by so many teams , i still think if we would wait a couple more days we could have gotten allot more out of these 2 guy/s .
I hope we keep Jason Bay , if he gets trade i hope we get something amazing back for him

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:41 pm 

DocJeanO wrote:
Sis, Thanks for keeping this whole thing in perspective. Nady is having a career year, and NH dealt him at exactly the right time. Marte is really nothing that special.....he can get out a lefty occasionally. If two of the guys we acquired turn out, then it's a great trade.

I disagree with you about Marte. He can get anybody out, and he's a fine reliever. The thing is that building a strong bullpen is something you worry about when your team is ready to contend. You aren't going to win with a great bullpen and a lousy rotation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:43 pm 

Eric Bowser wrote:
If making it to the majors qualifies as legitimizing a trade, Jimmy Anderson must be a legend in the eyes of scouts for Pittsburgh. NONE of those pitchers acquired will make this team a playoff contender in 2010 or 2011 so Tabata better turn into the hitting machine version of Manny Ramirez for this trade to be worth it.

What are you basing that opinion on?

Ricardo Rincon = Brian Giles
Giles = Jason Bay, Oliver Perez, and some lefty that flamed out quickly
Perez = Xavier Nady
Nady/Marte = Jose Tabata, Ross Ohlendorf, Jeff Karstens, and Dan McCutchen[/quote]
You think that every trade should bring the same return as two of the best trades in Pirate history? ROFL.

I'm still not convinced that the Perez for Nady constitutes a win for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am 

sisyphus wrote:
cbk87 wrote:
I don't get this trade

Xavier Nady is an average major league outfielder having a great year. In return for him and Marte the Pirates got two guys who might finish the season in their rotation, another guy who might join it next year, and a potential all star outfielder. They addressed their greatest weakness, rotation depth. The Pirates got a fine return for Nady even if only one or two of these guys work out.

The trade has grown on me. As much as I hate seeing Nady leave, we sold high and bought low. That's what they said they were going to do, and they did it. I'll be patient...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:48 am 

JFlash02 wrote:
I'll be patient...

As should everyone else, myself included. It will be at least a year before we can make any substantive proclamations regarding this trade.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:02 pm 

At first blush everyone was critical of the trade. Now, with a little time many have calmed down and are willing to wait and see. --- Progress.

Hey Sis-- Good post but I'm at a loss by your 'ROFL' abbreviation. Showing my age, but can you give me some hint as to it's meaning?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:24 pm 

I am surprised a bit by the Nady criticism - playing over his head, having a career year, will not repeat. The facts are that Nady was a platoon guy for years, and with regular play against righties beginning in 2006, has improved every year. His BA, HR's (projected for this year), RBI's, XBH, slugging, etc. are getting better with regular playing time.

Nady is proving one thing - it is tough to hit while sitting on the bench. Nady is benefitting primarily from the regular at bats, and has reduced his K's by quite a bit. By putting a lot more balls in play, his production has gone up. That is not due to luck, or playing over his head. That is due to good hitting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:26 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
At first blush everyone was critical of the trade. Now, with a little time many have calmed down and are willing to wait and see. --- Progress.

That's because the trade as it was first reported was worthy of all the criticism it got. The trade, AS IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED, is a totally different trade. Apples and oranges.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:33 pm 

Maybe, but not Buster and his buddies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:47 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I am surprised a bit by the Nady criticism - playing over his head, having a career year, will not repeat.

Playing over his head? No. Having a career year? Absolutely. Will not repeat? The million dollar question. One in which guys like Cashman and Huntington make a lot of money to answer. If I was betting with someone elses money, I'd wager against Nady continuing to hit at a 340/380/535 clip. Not saying it's impossible.

Bucfan wrote:
The facts are that Nady was a platoon guy for years, and with regular play against righties beginning in 2006, has improved every year. His BA, HR's (projected for this year), RBI's, XBH, slugging, etc. are getting better with regular playing time.

His numbers last year against righties were average at best, an 802 OPS. This year he's 100 points higher. That's a significant jump. I don't think he can sustain it, although I've been saying that since May. Go figure.

Bucfan wrote:
Nady is proving one thing - it is tough to hit while sitting on the bench. Nady is benefitting primarily from the regular at bats, and has reduced his K's by quite a bit. By putting a lot more balls in play, his production has gone up. That is not due to luck, or playing over his head. That is due to good hitting.

Depends on how much credence you put into BABIP. He's definitely putting more balls into play, but at the tune of 40-50 BABIP points higher than his average. Some would call it good hitting, others luck. I'm somewhere in between.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:12 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Hey Sis-- Good post but I'm at a loss by your 'ROFL' abbreviation. Showing my age, but can you give me some hint as to it's meaning?
Thanks

I'll answer this: ROFL is an acronym for "Rolling On Floor Laughing." I don't recommend use of this acronym, as I can't picture anyone on this board actually falling from his chair and start literally rolling on the floor while having a few chuckles after reading something posted here. This is especially true for those of us who post from work. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:33 pm 

Thanks Wilton-- and the word acronym always escapes me, but I was searching my mind, a lost cause, for it this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:57 pm 

Willton wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:
Thanks

I'll answer this: ROFL is an acronym for "Rolling On Floor Laughing." I don't recommend use of this acronym, as I can't picture anyone on this board actually falling from his chair and start literally rolling on the floor while having a few chuckles after reading something posted here. This is especially true for those of us who post from work. ;)

Here's the illustraded guide how to ROFL...

Enjoy

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...