Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In some other news..
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:39 pm 

2 of the State College Spikes (Short Season A ) are getting called back into active duty for the Army

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/736655.html

White was the Spikes leading hitter batting .366.

Post subject: Re: In some other news..
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:12 pm 

There is an NFL guy too who has had his permission to play pulled out from under him. I fell sorry for the guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:51 pm 

I don't.

They signed the Military contract.

The NFL guy got an education at West Point, and in return promised to become an Army officer. The education he got was as good as any you can get in the world.

That's the deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:16 pm 

My Lions drafted the young man Caleb Campbell. I'm ticked because the NFL owes us a draft pick (albeit just a seventh rounder.) Campbell could have been more valuable as a recruiting tool in my opinion. The guy can play.

Why did the army just change the rules all of a sudden? I feel sorry for all of them. One day those two are in State College.. next, Afghanistan? Sure, they joined the service but it wasn't right for the army to allow them a chance at their dreams and just take it away from them. How did David Robinson get out of serving right away?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:35 pm 

Ollie wrote:
How did David Robinson get out of serving right away?

He didn't. He served two years of active duty first, then reported to the San Antonio Spurs. The Navy, for whatever reson, excused him from completing his final three years on active duty.

Part of the problem, as I read it, is that when Robinson entered Annapolis, he stood 6-7. At that height, he still could have flown planes or worked in submarines or on most ships. But by the time he graduated, he was 7-0, and way too tall for any of that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 pm 

Ollie wrote:
My Lions drafted the young man Caleb Campbell. I'm ticked because the NFL owes us a draft pick (albeit just a seventh rounder.) Campbell could have been more valuable as a recruiting tool in my opinion. The guy can play.

Why did the army just change the rules all of a sudden? I feel sorry for all of them. One day those two are in State College.. next, Afghanistan? Sure, they joined the service but it wasn't right for the army to allow them a chance at their dreams and just take it away from them. How did David Robinson get out of serving right away?

If I remember correctly, Robinson grew so much between his acceptance at the Naval Academy and his graduation that he exceeded the Navy's maximum height requirements. And we weren't at war at the time, either.

No sympathy for any of these guys from me. An Academy education is an extremely valuable asset for a military career and outside the military. If you have dreams of playing professional sports you should not go to an academy.