Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nady/Marte trade opinion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm 

A nice trade by NH here.

Cutch will immediately upgrade our rotation, Ohlendorf will probably get a shot in there too, but if he doesn't cut it he will take Osoria's spot as the first reliever.

We will have depth in our rotation of Watson, Lincoln, Cutch, Snell, Duke, Maholm, Ohlendorf, Gorzo and Dumatrait to choose from in a couple of years. We should be able to find 4 legit starters in that mix.

Tabata is a legit prospect that is only 19 years old. He hits for average and has some gap power. He is by no means a power hitter, he is more of a legit CF type. An outfield of LF McLouth, CF Tabata, RF Cutch has me extremely excited, and it didn't even include Pearce or Bay.

I am interested to see what kind of defense he plays, I haven't had a chance to dive into those numbers yet.

I don't know a thing about Karstens, so I can't comment. I've seen other message board posters say AAAA player. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

What did we really give up? X was having a career year, but it is SO far over his career averages that it should be a red flag to any team expecting that type of production every year. He's in his 7th year of pro ball, so it would seem we have a pretty good idea of what we should expect from him...280/17/75. That's a very solid player, but we have options beyond him already in our system

He is a Boras client so he was gone after next year, and Marte would have given us draft picks. At least with Cutch and Ohlendorf, we get two guys that have been successful in AAA.

Marte was FAR more valuable to us than to another team. To us he's our closer, to the Yankees he's going to pitch to one or two batters. Don't get me wrong, he's a lockdown pitcher, but his value to a team like ours is higher than to a team who has a bullpen era of 1.20 recently.

I like this trade. This new regime isn't completely focusing on just pitchers or bats. They looked for both. That's what we need. You can't completely forget about half of the game to build with, i.e. Littlefield's pitching only strategy.

Post subject: Re: Nady/Marte trade opinion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:52 pm 

Yeah, this is better than the one originally reported. It's still too early to even say that Tabata won't be a power guy. It may not really develop until he's 24 or so. OK, I'll bite. Who's the "Watson" that you mentioned in your post?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:11 pm 

http://www.lynchburg-hillcats.com/hillcats/stats/

I would ignore the W-L record.

Leads the team in innings pitched with 115.
WHiP of 1.28.
3/1 K/BB ratio

He got blown up last night, or he would look even better.

I just have a feeling about him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:30 pm 

PBB -- Agree with your comments about the trade. NOteable exception is your view that Nady isn't really very good. He has figured out right hand pitching. After a breakout year, there is no reason to think that he will fall apart next year.

We needed to trade him but only because our system is so bare and the Pirates would not be willing to pay the asking price after next year. I think he'll do great and hope he gets a ring soon. No, I don't like the Yankees but I do like X-man.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:00 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

If a good trade is good for both, then this has the looks of a good trade. Pirates sell of assests at best value, and get what they need in return. Pitching, pitching, and pitching... and maybe an All Star OF.

Yanks get to drool at the rest of the division.

I wonder now, if NH will use this to approach Tampa, Boston, White Sox with Bay and demand a top 10 prospect plus, now that he's put the Yanks on their tails for the playoffs.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:56 pm 

Good point. He could use this as leverage. Maybe future trades will be easier for him. As John Dunbar said in Dance with Wolves, "Good...trade."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:01 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
PBB -- Agree with your comments about the trade. NOteable exception is your view that Nady isn't really very good. He has figured out right hand pitching. After a breakout year, there is no reason to think that he will fall apart next year.

Actually there are 5+ seasons worth of information to support the theory that Nady will decline next year, plus his history of injuries. It may be that he's simply risen to a new level, but that isn't the way to bet.

Quote:
We needed to trade him but only because our system is so bare and the Pirates would not be willing to pay the asking price after next year. I think he'll do great and hope he gets a ring soon. No, I don't like the Yankees but I do like X-man.

I think that Yankee Stadium will give him trouble, and that his numbers for the rest of the season will go down. I don't know how the new ballpark will treat him next year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:43 pm 

To add to sisy's post, Nady's BABIP is .365 That is very likely to be unsustainable, and his average is likely to fall as a result.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:59 pm 

Sorry, but what is BABIP? Lorena?? The only BABIP I know lost his "manhood"!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm 

Doc, BABIP is an acronym meaning Batting Average on Balls in Play. It doesn't include home runs.

To quote Baseball Prospectus:

Quote:
BABIP is mostly a function of a pitcher's defense and luck, rather than persistent skill. Thus, pitchers with abnormally high or low BABIPs are good bets to see their performances regress to the mean. A typical BABIP is about .290.