Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has the Nady/Marte Trade Been Reconfigured?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:20 pm 

I saw this on MLBTRADERUMORS, updated @ 11:42am

Quote:
The LoHud Yankees Blog reports the Xavier Nady, Damaso Marte deal has been reconfigured:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/breaking-yankee.html#comments

The Yankees are sending RHP Dan McCutchen, RHP Jeff Karstens, OF Jose Tabata and RHP Ross Ohlendorf to Pittsburgh for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.

LHP Phil Coke and RHP George Kontos are not in the deal.

If true there is more immediate major league pitching help in Karstens and perhaps McCutchen...Has anyone seen this anywhere else? Any truth?

UPDATE

Rotoworld reporting the same thing based on a NY Post report...

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&filter_teams=PIT&id=3156

Quote:
According to the New York Post, the Pirates will be getting Daniel McCutchen and Jeff Karstens along with Jose Tabata and Ross Ohlendorf from the Yankees for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.

It was widely reported last night (including by the Post itself) that George Kontos and Phil Coke were in the deal in place of McCutchen and Karstens. This is clearly better for the Pirates. McCutchen is arguably the Yankees' best remaining pitching prospect, though he's not a big upside guy and he doesn't rank with Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy. Karstens isn't much more than middle relief fodder, but neither was Coke.

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2008/07/mccutchen_karst.html
From the NYPOST
Quote:
The package the YankeesNew York Yankees surrendered for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte is not as originally reported. It is fronted by outfielder Jose Tabata and pitcher Ross OhlendorfRoss Ohlendorf , but the other two pitchers the Yanks gave up in the trade were Jeff KarstensJeff Karstens and Daniel McCutchen.

The original reports had Phil Coke and George Kontos as the other two pitchers the Yanks were surrendering as part of the deal, which was concluded Friday pending physicals.

McCutchen, who turns 26 in September, was 8-9 with a 3.14 ERA between Double- and Triple-A this season. He is known as a hard worker who really elevated his stock this year. But he also was suspended 50 games by the Commissioners Office for taking a performance-enhancing substance in 2006.

Karstens, who also turns 26 in September, pitched for the Yankees in 2006-2007, going 3-5 with a 5.65 ERA in 15 appearances, including nine starts. He has battled injuries much of the last two seasons and was 6-4 with a 3.80 in 12 Triple-A starts this season. However, the Yanks considered him expendable because many other starts had bypassed him on the depth chart, including Darrell Rasner, who in style is most like Karstens.

Tabata, a Double-A outfielder, and Ohlendorf, starting at Triple-A, were clearly the main two pieces for the Pirates.

Post subject: Re: Has the Nady/Marte Trade Been Reconfigured?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:49 pm 

Interesting. Sounds like a lot of these pitchers could be in majors this season or with in a season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:40 pm 

It's official!

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... nging.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:44 pm 

Aaahhhh...much better!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:57 pm 

Jeff Karstens and Daniel McCutchen
Are these 2 better then those other 2 pitchers the pirates would have had?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:00 pm 

Reading the PG Blog just now, makes me feel better about the deal. Looks like 2 of the 3 pitchers are about major league ready. Probably some help for our rotation almost immediately.

Do you think some of you guys over-reacted? WOW

We still won't be able to assess this trade for a long time but it must look much better to you doubters. Maybe, we have a front office now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:25 pm 

The Yankee fans are not as cocky today as they were last night. Check out some of these quotes:

Quote:
the trade just went from 'A Steal'

to

a trade made out of necessity.

Quote:
Cutch and Kontos are actually similar types of pitchers. But Cutch is the more surer bet at this time. Looks like all that whining and crying by the other GMs and executives might have given the Pirates cold feet and the Yanks are being forced to ante up a bit more.

Quote:
That sucks. Pirates floated it around to see what the reaction was. The rest of baseball wanted to screw the Yankees as usual.

Quote:
Why are other teams allowed to make trades considered "steals" yet when the Yankees do it, the league is up in arms in order to force the rival gm's hand. This is absurd.

Quote:
Wow....screw it.....then we want Bay.....for that price, they've gotta give up more than Nady who is bound to come down from his recent success....

Not sure this trade is all that great now...

Quote:
McC, Tabata, Karstens, Ohlendorf, the pirates just rebuilt their team on one deal. Oly is thge only real weak link. All three pitchers will be pitching very well for the Pirates by September. We shpuld have cancelled the deal if Cutch was in it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all the whiners fault, couldn't be NH being a savy GM now could it??

And finally someone with some sense.........

Quote:
Barring anymore changes, if this is indeed the final package, I think it's a fair one for the Bucs. Both Ohlendorf and Cutch have good stuff. Cutch is more developed at this point. Both can step into the starting or relief role for the major league club right now. They have legit upside. Karstens is also big league ready but his ceiling is limited.

Tabata is the wildcard. He's the farthest away yet he has the highest upside. He has maturity issues to straighten out as well. If things break right for him and he works hard, he's the goods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:58 am 

Much, much better.

I still don't think it's a great trade, but much better. In its original format, it was a bad trade. Not it's acceptable. I think they could have gotten more, but I'll take this compared to the original report.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:20 am 

Quote:
The rest of baseball wanted to screw the Yankees as usual.

This one is the winner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting these, Argentum. I love the smell of Yankee self-pity in the morning.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 pm 

Ohlendorf is good candidate for a late inning reliever. In the games I have seen him pitch, he hits 95-96 mph. If he can maintain that kind of velocity for more than 1-2 innings, he may be a candidate as a starting pitcher.

McCutchen's minor league performance projects fairly well in the majors - low walk, high K ratio in AA and AAA, less than a hit per inning.

And for reference ... McCutchen, Ohlendorf and Karstens are all the same age as Paul Maholm, give or take a few months. Makes us think about the criticism heaped on Maholm when he was pitching in the majors at age 23 ... (this also refers to comments about Andrew McCutchen's performance in AAA at age 21, and Neil Walker's at age 22).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 am 

Bucfan wrote:
And for reference ... McCutchen, Ohlendorf and Karstens are all the same age as Paul Maholm, give or take a few months. Makes us think about the criticism heaped on Maholm when he was pitching in the majors at age 23 ... (this also refers to comments about Andrew McCutchen's performance in AAA at age 21, and Neil Walker's at age 22).

As well as the foreseeable criticism Tabata will get as a 20-year-old at AA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm 
The second version of the trade is much better than the original version. My problem, though, was the speed. What's the hurry? Why not wait til the deadline and see if you can get even more?

They've said all along that they don't "need" to trade these guys and would only do so for great return. Well they got good return, not great. If you wait closer to the deadline, you might get more.

Overall a solid deal. I'd call it average ... C+ or B- range.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:06 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
Reading the PG Blog just now, makes me feel better about the deal. Looks like 2 of the 3 pitchers are about major league ready. Probably some help for our rotation almost immediately.

Do you think some of you guys over-reacted? WOW

We still won't be able to assess this trade for a long time but it must look much better to you doubters. Maybe, we have a front office now.

Substitute, I don't think the blame goes on those of us (me included) who over-reacted. We were reacting to information that was reported as fact.

I think the criticism goes to the media that flat-out misreported the trade Friday night. The PG, ESPN, etc. weren't reporting a rumored deal, they were reporting this deal as if it were done. Irresponsible journalism, if you ask me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:37 pm 

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... &fext=.jsp

Kontos showed the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:54 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080731&content_id=440154&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Dammit.

LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:01 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080731&content_id=440154&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Shouldn't he want to show the Yankees, the team that wanted to trade him?