Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burnett A Pirate Again
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:11 am 

Hopefully Sean will be able to shore up the middle innings when our inconsistent starters fall on their face early in games. :?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08125/879080-63.stm

Post subject: Re: Burnett A Pirate Again
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:08 am 

I'm happy for Burnett; I profoundly hope the move works out for him and for the Pirates.

But I can't help wishing Osoria was on his way out of town instead of Evan Meek.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:30 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
I'm happy for Burnett; I profoundly hope the move works out for him and for the Pirates.

But I can't help wishing Osoria was on his way out of town instead of Evan Meek.

Ditto on all counts. I found the timing on Meek's release to be curious, especially with Osoria being awful for the past few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:08 pm 

Why Burnett? Why another soft-tossing lefty? He was not even the best reliever in Indy, notwithstanding Kovacevic's assertion. I'd much rather see Salas up here than Burnett.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I too am glad that Burnett will finally join the Buccos. I don't care how soft he throws as long as he gets outs.

I'll be a little disappointed if Meek is gone. I bashed him early on but I think he could be a good reliever in a year or so. I'm cashing in this season already anyway.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:55 pm 

Willton wrote:
Why Burnett? Why another soft-tossing lefty? He was not even the best reliever in Indy, notwithstanding Kovacevic's assertion. I'd much rather see Salas up here than Burnett.

The thing with Burnett is that since he is out of options, this pretty much means he is here to stay. If he craps the bed, he goes on waivers and would probably be lost.

Honestly, I think the way to do it is to collect a bunch of arms who all have options and play the hot hand, shuffling guys between AAA and Pittsburgh as needed. Does Salas have options? If not, they may be more wary of losing him, so they want to be sure he is ready???

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:03 am 

Ok - someone throw me a bone here. Does Meek have to clear waivers first before he's optioned back to Tampa, or the other way around? Secondly, does the team that claims him have to keep him on the 25 man roster for the remainder of the season?

I think NH believes there is a chance Meek clears waivers and Tampa does not take him back. I mean Burnett cleared waivers when we all thought he'd be grabbed. Plus Garza and Kazmir were just activated, crowding the pitching in Tampa, a team looking to make a run this year.

Maybe we'll get lucky (again)?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:44 am 

Meek can be picked up on waivers by any team. If they do pick him up, he must be kept on the 25-man roster. If that team does keep him and then subsequently waives him and nobody else picks him up, he must be offered back to Tampa Bay just like the Pirates have to now if he is not picked up.

:o

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:53 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Meek can be picked up on waivers by any team. If they do pick him up, he must be kept on the 25-man roster. If that team does keep him and then subsequently waives him and nobody else picks him up, he must be offered back to Tampa Bay just like the Pirates have to now if he is not picked up.

:o

Thanks. I'm assuming Tampa would have to keep him on the 25 man as well. With that in mind I'm going to make the bold prediction that he'll clear waivers!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 am 

I'm glad he's back. He could help some with this shaky pitching.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:31 am 

Argentum wrote:

Thanks. I'm assuming Tampa would have to keep him on the 25 man as well. With that in mind I'm going to make the bold prediction that he'll clear waivers!

No, if he goes back to Tampa they do not have to add him to the 25 man roster...they can put him anywhere in the minor leagues. He does, I believe, have to be added to the 40 man though.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:51 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Pirates are looking to set up a trade for Meek with the Rays. Looking for a cash transaction later on this week. Tampa seems agreeable to at least listen.

In today's P-G.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

No, if he goes back to Tampa they do not have to add him to the 25 man roster...they can put him anywhere in the minor leagues. He does, I believe, have to be added to the 40 man though.

Important piece of the puzzle I was missing there, thanks BBF. I recant my previous post, unless a trade is worked out with Tampa, Meek is a gonner.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:52 pm 
I'd take Burnett over Meek or Osaria any day.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:56 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

P-G reports Burnett hitting 93 on the Indy gun. I've heard of guys getting stronger with more velocity post-Tommy John. Could this be the case now?

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:58 pm 
ZelieMike wrote:
P-G reports Burnett hitting 93 on the Indy gun. I've heard of guys getting stronger with more velocity post-Tommy John. Could this be the case now?

ZM

I hope that's the case. I really liked what I saw in Burnett when he came up as a rookie, but I don't remember him throwing 93. I seem to remember him topping out around 90 or 91. Can anyone remember that for sure?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:00 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I'd take Burnett over Meek or Osaria any day.

Can't argue with that one, but as mentioned earlier, I think I'd have kept Meek over Osoria. We may be slightly better DFAing Meek in the short term, but long term we probably hurt ourselves. At least Meek has a ceiling, Osoria has been bumping his head off of his for a few years now.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:08 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Does that mean his fastball sits at that range? Because if all he can do is touch 93 without regularly reaching it, I'm not sure it says anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 pm 

Willton wrote:
Does that mean his fastball sits at that range? Because if all he can do is touch 93 without regularly reaching it, I'm not sure it says anything.

It says that he can reach 93 mph.

You know, like with a 1-2 count and a runner at third, one out.

That clearly beats topping out at 88 mph.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 pm 

Sigh, rough debut for Burnett. Anyone have any faith in this guy?