Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any Guesses?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:46 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Turns out that Coke, who was pulled from tonight's game after one inning, is a lefty.

And -- stop me if you've heard this one before -- he has a history of elbow problems.

Champagne corks are popping down in Birmingham. Dr. Andrews just put his order in on a new yacht.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:46 pm 

If anyone is curious as to how Yankees fans are reacting, check this out:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=113075

They seem pretty happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:47 pm 

This is hilarious. Nothing but rumors to go on so far, but the whining is already well under way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:50 pm 

The Pirates will receive a package of four minor-league players, expected to be Class AAA right-hander Ross Ohlendorf, Class AA right-handers Phil Coke and George Kontos and Class AA outfielder Jose Tabata.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8380066/Sources:-Yanks-strike-deal-for-Pirates'-Nady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:59 pm 

Yankee fans apparently are gloating, if comments to the trade stories in the NY papers are any indication. They seem to think NH just got fleeced.

And Tabata, if y'all weren't aware, was suspended for three games back in May after "storming" off the field in the 7th inning and going home in a game in which he wasn't playing well. A quote from the Trenton Times, through an interpreter:

Quote:
"I made an irrational decision. Maybe it was immaturity, inexperience or just that I didn't know how to handle what was happening. I just kept thinking I am not producing the way I should be and maybe I didn't belong here." Tabata, who was hitting just .188 at the time of the incident, is frustrated enough that he contemplated asking the Yankees for his release. There's no chance he would have gotten it, but that he was even in that frame of mind seems like a bad sign for the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:03 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Yankee fans apparently are gloating, if comments to the trade stories in the NY papers are any indication. They seem to think NH just got fleeced.

Yankee fans are always gloating. It's their nature.

You have to keep in mind that Yankee fans have no interest in the long term. They only care about winning right now. Any trade that garners the Yankees major leaguers for minor leaguers is bound to look good to the average Yankee fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:03 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
This is hilarious. Nothing but rumors to go on so far, but the whining is already well under way.

How many more sources do you need? It's not rumor it's official by multiple sources including the Bucco announcers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:07 pm 

Pirates4real wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

How many more sources do you need? It's not rumor it's official by multiple sources including the Bucco announcers.

There was no official announcement as the to players the Pirates would be receiving when I posted that, and, as far as I know, there still has been no official announcement. The announcers were quoting the same internet sources that we all are (unless I missed something while I was out of the room), and they didn't even do that until after my post was already submitted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 pm 

I would have hoped they would have gotten a decent, proven big league starter for those guys.....I still think they've got a shot at a decent year, they just need pitching to give this offense a hand.

Personally, I'm tired of hearing about "trade the whole team and get some young prospects." They've been doing that for sixteen years, traded the best players they've had and gotten "young prospects" that have never panned out.

I'm tired of waiting for "maybe five years from now". Let's keep the offense you've got, open the checkbook for some players, and get serious.

I am hoping that the trading of Nady was in preparation for signing McLouth and Bay to long term deals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:15 pm 

I am about to donate my Pirates shirts and hats to Salvation Army and buy gear for another team.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:31 pm 

The numbers on these guys look pretty good. Both Kontos and Coke fan one an inning and have progressed right up through the Yankees system. Tabata is only 19 and in AA. Ohlendorf has been startign since his demotion to AAA with good numbers there. Be curious to see what the actual deal is. Interesting that the studio guy just did a tease for the post game show and never mentioned the trade. I bet it is pre recorded.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:37 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Interesting that the studio guy just did a tease for the post game show and never mentioned the trade. I bet it is pre recorded.

Teke will straighten this out for us!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:37 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Pirates4real wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

There was no official announcement as the to players the Pirates would be receiving when I posted that, and, as far as I know, there still has been no official announcement. The announcers were quoting the same internet sources that we all are (unless I missed something while I was out of the room), and they didn't even do that until after my post was already submitted.

Yeah but these "internet" sources are coming from places like Sports Illustrated, Fox Sports, and ESPN (Buster Olney). All these credible sources would not be reporting the names unless they were certain of the accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 pm 

Overall, I am underwhelmed. My expectations were definitely higher than this. The centerpiece, Tabata, is someone that I am highly skeptical of. Though, if he reaches his potential, he could be one hell of a player, and this deal is a pretty good one. The risk taken with Tabata is probably no worse than the risk you would take with a couple compensation picks, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:47 pm 

Pirates4real wrote:
I for one am not getting my hopes up too high for the return. I would recommend that everybody not get theirs up too much either. The return will probably be decent but not incredible. I'm actually preparing for a very underwhelming return.

Not to pat my own back but I posted that at 7:53 PM before any info came out. Nady is a pretty good player but he doesn't have the sheer track record to bring in a really good haul. I thought him going together with Marte would probably get a decent return, though what it actually got could seems decent at best, and that may be too kind.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:52 am 

burghdan wrote:
I heard that Ian Kennedy is involved also

Ian Kennedy would have been nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 am 

sisyphus wrote:
jleisele58 wrote:
marte and nady, i hope we got a whole damn platoon of propects cause there went the offense

Nady's having a great year, but he is not the offense. Doumit, Bay and McLouth are having similar years, and LaRoche and Sanchez have finally heated up. If those two produce like they usually have for the rest of the year it will more than make up the difference between Nady and whoever replaces him.

Besides, I could give a hoot about this year. They weren't going to the playoffs anyway.

I'm with you Sisyphus. I don't care about this year. The problem is that experts don't seem to think this trade will have a big impact on winning in the future either.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:55 pm 

Pirates4real wrote:
Yeah but these "internet" sources are coming from places like Sports Illustrated, Fox Sports, and ESPN (Buster Olney). All these credible sources would not be reporting the names unless they were certain of the accuracy.

Any more criticism of my use of the word "rumors"? And do you want to revise your statement that SI, Fox, and ESPN are all "credible sources"?

I don't really blame you all that much. I had pretty much accepted that last night's names were the deal by this morning, but, as I said, nothing is official until you hear it from a team officer.