Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Chance...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:34 am 

Now that the pirates are just 6 games under isnt there a good chance they can have a winning season and get over 500?
They have very solid hitting and even if nady is gone a steve pearce can come up and produce. With Freddy and laroche now hitting isnt it possible that the pirates can get to a winning season?

Also any chance herrera becomes a starter for the team in the future at a regular 5 day rotation basis? He looked very good today and kept the ball down which let him get through unscathed.

Post subject: Re: Any Chance...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:48 am 

Herrera is still somewhat of an unknown quantity, I think, because of the fact that he was out of the game for 2 years and is still building himself back. He may not have peaked yet. Last night's performance notwithstanding, he still doesn't appear ready for the bigs yet. However, as you noted, he kept his pitches down well. The fastball is only 88mph and he doesn't have great command of it, but he did keep it down. It seems to dive nicely, too. Nice curve last night.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:39 am 

No way. Nada. Let's say hypothetically that we win our next 6 games to get to .500. We then go on the road to Wrigley, Arizona, and Philly (granted AZ hasn't looked that great lately). We also have the Mets, Cards, Brewers, Cubs (again), and Brewers (again) throughout the month of August. There is a HUGE difference between beating Houston/SD and beating the Phils, Cubs, Brewers, etc.

If we are .500 at the end of the season, I buy everyone on the board a beer....

...but you'll all have to share it... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:40 am 
BBF wrote:
No way. Nada. Let's say hypothetically that we win our next 6 games to get to .500. We then go on the road to Wrigley, Arizona, and Philly (granted AZ hasn't looked that great lately). We also have the Mets, Cards, Brewers, Cubs (again), and Brewers (again) throughout the month of August. There is a HUGE difference between beating Houston/SD and beating the Phils, Cubs, Brewers, etc.

If we are .500 at the end of the season, I buy everyone on the board a beer....

...but you'll all have to share it... :shock:

I'd love to see .500 season, but with this pitching staff, I just don't see how that's possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 pm 

I agree, Elmer. The offense has improved dramatically, and the team shows good resiliency because of that, but the starting pitching is just not there to support a sustained stretch of winning baseball.

I wouldn't say .500 is out of the question, but it is very much a long shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:02 pm 

Ryan -- I'm afraid that BBF has it right. He expressed my thoughts better then I would have. Like to see it but our schedule is not taking us down that path after July.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

What is it that has made the Pirates a cursed team for the past 16 years? It seems like that when our pitching staff is lights out on a regular basis, offense is terrible. When offense is amazing, pitching is horrible.