Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That was "Freaking Sweet" yesterday.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:38 pm 

You guys have no idea how good that felt yesterday, being in Minute Maid Park and seeing the Bucs sweep the Astros, concluding a sweep in which they scored 26 runs!

After all the crap I have swallowed in ten years, listening to the Houston media constantly rip the organization (deservedly so), it was gorgeous watching the Astros fall into last place.

Many of you remember I quit counting when my record in games I went to was 1-12!!!!!

Notes: (mini game report)

1. Bought a fifty dollar ticket and did not sit in my seat once. As I was going to my seat I saw a guy in a Craig Wilson jersey and we just started talking. Ended up spending the whole game standing behind my section on the third base side. He is from Scranton Wilks Barre area and hates the Phillies. He was five when Maz hit the homer. Fun time

2. Met another unique Bucco fan. He was from Monterrey Mexico and became a Bucco fan back during the 90s when Fransisco Cordova pitched for them. Nice guy.

3. All right Doug M.

4. Great to see them tatoo another bad starter in the first inning.

5. Not so great to see Snell give it right back.

6. Nice to see the offense get back to work each time the Astros got back in the game.

7. Marte looked good in closing out the game.

8. Book is out on Hunter Pence, can't hit the slider down and away. He was fed those constantly yesterday.

9. HAven't done this one in awhile.......Designated HItter Rant Snell driving in a run to help his cause. Oh that's a disgrace, I hate that. I want to see some 50 year old designated hitter, I want to see Chilli Davis and his walker still going around the bases........"

10. Houston is a good sports town and I didn't get any serious crap for wearing my "colors." A few mock boos at the bar after the game, which I actually enjoyed, but nothing else.

Now, I hope they dismantle the Padres and get some sweet revenge on the Rockies. Let's go Bucs. Ten game win streak and back to .500.

Post subject: Re: That was "Freaking Sweet" yesterday.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:43 pm 

Thanks for the report, and I do love a good DH rant!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:30 pm 

Thanks, I enjoyed it too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:53 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Houston is a good sports town and I didn't get any serious crap for wearing my "colors." A few mock boos at the bar after the game, which I actually enjoyed, but nothing else.

I lived in Garland Texas near Dallas back in the 80s. I thought Houston was a lousy place to live and stayed North in Dallas. Both Houston and Dallas are football towns, but good sports town?, I never thought so. There were so many people from the midwest and northeast plus you have all kinds of Mexicans, Asians and Arabic people it was hard to find native Texans. I used to go down to the AstroDome, what a dump, when the Steelers played the Oilers and I used to get in for almost nothing, fans giving away tickets. You could not buy beer on Sundays for noon kickoffs with their blue laws...still have them? The crowd was dead most of the time and at least a third was Steeler fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:54 am 

Corsair ... you are on a streak. Cannot miss the next series since your attendance "karma" was a key to victory in the only close game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:00 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Corsair ... you are on a streak. Cannot miss the next series since your attendance "karma" was a key to victory in the only close game.

Who wants to fly me back to Pittsburgh Saturday? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:52 am 

Yeah, that game was awesome for me as well, especially since that'll probably be my only live and in person game of the season.

I had a great time, and like you said, didn't have to take any crap for my Pirates gear (I even wore my eye patch for the whole game). Sounds like you sat near me, I was 17 rows up in 109, on the third base side. Didn't see the Craig Wilson jersey, though. I did, however, exchange high-fives with a good number of Bucco fans after the game, so our paths might have crossed.

And wow, it felt good to finally take in a win at Minute Maid! I made the trip down with my dad for 2 games 2 years ago, and we lost 1-0 and 16-1. I'm sure, being from Houston, that you remember what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:42 pm 

On the drive to LA Wed., we had the "honor" of listening to Milo Hamilton on XM radio. MRs. AZBF was amazed at how bad he is. I can't believe he still has a job. He is just awful.

Good job Corsair.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
On the drive to LA Wed., we had the "honor" of listening to Milo Hamilton on XM radio. MRs. AZBF was amazed at how bad he is. I can't believe he still has a job. He is just awful.

Good job Corsair.

I was going to ask if anyone got to listen to Milo...

I'm surprised you didn't wreck the car...I'm sure he was in top peak form since the Astros got spanked...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...