Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What does it take?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:38 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
What ballplayers did the Pirates trade who became stars in other places?

From the DL era, Jason Schmidt. Cy Young winner.

Also, Wigginton became a very nice ballplayer in Tampa and Houston for a few years. As did Jose Guillen.

Then, of course, there is Aramis Rameriz.

Want any more?

ZM

Aramis Ramirez was a very good ballplayer before they traded him. Wiggington is and was a utility player, nothing more. He doesn't even get on the field for a decent team. Guillen did have one great year four years after the Pirates dumped him, but three other teams flat out released him before his first good season. His problems were always mental anyway, and he still has them. Anybody who would call Wigginton or Guillen a star needs to have his head examined. So that leaves you with two guys who became stars, one average player, and one average player who managed to put up one fine season and a couple of good ones. The funny thing is that I remember the two stars being booed as Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:36 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I pointed out earlier that Ramerez was hitting .230 at the time of the trade, had made 33 errors, and was getting booed mercilessly here for his percieved laziness.

Your question was, name a player the Pirates traded that became a star, implying that there were none.

Wiggington had almost 40HR for a couple years as a Ray. He was much better than average for a couple of years, which I pointed out was only a couple of years.

And, the booing of Schmidt (erstwhile board member) is the whole point.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:15 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I pointed out earlier that Ramerez was hitting .230 at the time of the trade, had made 33 errors, and was getting booed mercilessly here for his percieved laziness.

Your point being? A majority of Pirate fans were delighted to get rid of Ramirez, though not at that price. He was 25 years old and already had one big year under his belt. There was little doubt that he was going to be a star player.

Quote:
Your question was, name a player the Pirates traded that became a star, implying that there were none.

Not implying that there were none, implying that the argument was way overblown. You've managed to find exactly two players who went on to stardom, both of whom Pirate fans were glad to get rid of at the time.

Quote:
Wiggington had almost 40HR for a couple years as a Ray. He was much better than average for a couple of years, which I pointed out was only a couple of years.

Better than average is not a star. Wigginton wouldn't have even gotten off of the bench for a decent team. He was splitting time between first base, where his bat was below average, second, where his glove was terrible, and third, where he had an average bat and a bad glove. He's a slightly above average major league hitter who doesn't have the glove to play at any position where his bat would be considered above average.

Quote:
And, the booing of Schmidt (erstwhile board member) is the whole point.

ZM

Yes, it is the whole point. The same folks who are crying about former Pirates turning into stars are probably the same folks who were booing Schmidt and Ramirez before they were dealt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

He was also being boo'd because he was an idiot earlier in the season. He was raking early on until he charged the mound in Houston, I believe, and injured himself.