Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What does it take?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:11 pm 

For those who live in the Pittsburgh area and don't go to Pirates games, what would it take for you to go back to PNC?

For those who live in the Pittsburgh area and go to a few games a year, what would it take for you to go to more games at PNC?

Just curious.

Post subject: Re: What does it take?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:26 pm 

I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore but if I did, this would be my response.

An ownership group that will actually spend some of THEIR MONEY and don't flinch at the thought of an 80 million dollar payroll, still mimium wage in MLB.

If Nutting demonstates this I would return. And to be fair I gave Nutting the benefit of the doubt when he sacked Littlefield and McClatchy last year and let them draft the more expensive guy this year. Also, I did not see any free agents last year that warrented breaking the bank, so I can see last year's non-exciting off season.

But if we see another fire sale this year, which includes Bay, Nady and Jack Wilson.......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:41 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
For those who live in the Pittsburgh area and go to a few games a year, what would it take for you to go to more games at PNC?

Just curious.

In this order:

1 - My sons being older
2 - More day games
3 - Bobbleheads (just kidding)

I average about 5 a year now. Before kids and marriage, I practically lived at TRS.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:31 pm 

[quote="Corsair"] An ownership group that will actually spend some of THEIR MONEY and don't flinch at the thought of an 80 million dollar payroll, still mimium wage in MLB.

[quote]

Not trying to be picky here . . . just exploring your answer.

If Nutting spent money on thier team like the Orioles and Rangers' owners and the Pirates achieved similar results, would you still go to PNC Park to watch the Pirates play? Would your attendance at PNC Park be solely a function of dollars spent on player salary?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:48 pm 

Keep the offense together on this team, and buy some pitching to give them a hand.

I am tired of the Buccos trading good ballplayers who become stars other places, and in return get some "prospects" that may or may not pan out. You've got a good offensive team in place, with good chemistry and fighting spirit. Just open the checkbook and get them some pitching to help them out.

Another fire sale, where we lose Nady, Bay, Wilson, and in return get another Brad Eldred won't cut it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:33 pm 

I dont live in PGH anymore, but my wife and I try to make it up for a game a season and a couple of games when the Buccos play in DC...What leads me to spend the time and money? I am from Pgh and I love baseball...You get your teams when you are born and that is that...rightly or wrongly I am the ideal fan for this team, I go to games regardless of their record...

Much like a battered spouse (if you'll excuse the comparison) who takes it the abuse and doesnt leave...thats me with this team...

Whats funny is that I am also a season ticket holder with the Steelers and drive up for a few games a season...no one thinks I am nuts for making a day trip to the burgh for their games...the Buccos? People look at me like my hair is on fire...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:29 am 

I still go to a lot of games. I go to like 12 this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:57 am 

i 've got a big 5000 miles problem and a full ocean of water :lol:

seriously i made a promise to myself : come to pittsburgh for 6 months and take the 81 games package !

i think that a better rotation would help people to come back to pnc .

the offense is doing fine ... don 't trade anyone and prepare money for trading 2 big league starters in 2009 and the playoffs wont be so far :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:13 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
Another fire sale, where we lose Nady, Bay, Wilson, and in return get another Brad Eldred won't cut it for me.

Hey, be glad Littlefield is no longer here - we might have received the actual Brad Eldred for one of our guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:24 am 

The change in management has me a little more supportive. I've gone once this year and will go again.

For the Pirates to have any chance of truly capturing the attention of this city, they have to win. And by that I mean be in contention for the post season, at a minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:26 am 

I'll be honest...the Pirates can have every one of my entertainment dollars. So what would it take for me to go to more games? More entertainment dollars (or cheaper seats for starving medical students).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:34 am 

I'm planning on going up Saturday but that's a rarity for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 am 
Ralphie wrote:
The change in management has me a little more supportive. I've gone once this year and will go again.

For the Pirates to have any chance of truly capturing the attention of this city, they have to win. And by that I mean be in contention for the post season, at a minimum.

I go to about 10-15 games per year. But I used to go to 20-30. Ownership that puts more of a focus on winning would get me to go back more often.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:53 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
Keep the offense together on this team, and buy some pitching to give them a hand.

I am tired of the Buccos trading good ballplayers who become stars other places, and in return get some "prospects" that may or may not pan out. You've got a good offensive team in place, with good chemistry and fighting spirit. Just open the checkbook and get them some pitching to help them out.

What ballplayers did the Pirates trade who became stars in other places?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:58 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
For those who live in the Pittsburgh area and don't go to Pirates games, what would it take for you to go back to PNC?

Just curious.

More money in my pocket. I like baseball, so I'll spend my entertainment dollars going to baseball games, just as I spent my entertainment dollars going to Pens games in the pre-Lemieux days of less than 20 wins a year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
What ballplayers did the Pirates trade who became stars in other places?

From the DL era, Jason Schmidt. Cy Young winner.

Also, Wigginton became a very nice ballplayer in Tampa and Houston for a few years. As did Jose Guillen.

Then, of course, there is Aramis Rameriz.

Want any more?

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:35 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Then, of course, there is Aramis Rameriz.

Want any more?

ZM

I would argue Aram was already a star before the trade. I would also argue that he was not traded for prospects.

In fact, blowing up the 25 man in exchange for prospects is what they Pirates HAVEN'T done in the past 16 years, and is one (of many) reasons that our minor league system remains so thin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Aram was hitting .233 with the Bucs and had 30 errors when he was traded.

He had a "breakout" year the year before, but was foundering badly here. There were actually some on the old page who thought it was a good thing to "get the lazy bum" outta here.

Just not for Bobby Hill!

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:42 pm 

Zelie, When did Jason Schmidt win a Cy Young award? He had a couple of good years, but I didn't think he won the Cy. However, he was traded for a bucket of spit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ah, you are correct sir. I thought he won it in 2003, but that was Gagne, and he finished second.

I suppose that means he didn't become a star. :D

ZM