Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Alvarez, Scheppers news?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:18 pm 

All quiet on the Alvarez/Scheppers signing front.

Any word on either guy? Has Scheppers been examined yet? If so, what was found? If not, when is this going to take place?

Is Alvarez going to wait until August 14 to sign? If so, is Boras planning on purchasing Bucfan some antacid??

Post subject: Re: Any Alvarez, Scheppers news?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:28 pm 

http://postgazette.com/pg/08205/899093-100.stm

Coonelly 'frustrated' with Alvarez talks

Let this be the year!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:24 am 

donburgh wrote:
http://postgazette.com/pg/08205/899093-100.stm

Coonelly 'frustrated' with Alvarez talks

So am I ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14 am 

Were I a betting man I would wager that Alvarez signs at the last possible moment on 8/15...that just seems to be the Boras way.

RE: Scheppers last I read the Pirates were waiting to see how he progressed from the labrum issue over the summer and decide how they would like to proceed from there. I think the expectation has always been that decision would come in August...

Has anyone heard any rumblings about:

Robert Grossman
http://users.rcn.com/wtmiller/positions/2008draft/grossman.htm

or

Wesley Freeman
http://users.rcn.com/wtmiller/positions/2008draft/freeman.htm

With Justin Wilson thinking he is worth significantly more than 5th round money, will that cash be used to sign either of those guys?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:13 pm 
While I wish he would have signed already, I hope you are right about him signing Aug. 15. I just hope he signs, period. If it's that late, I'll take it ---- better than not signing him at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:30 pm 

I can't imagine him not signing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:08 pm 

There is paying for talent and there is just downright thievery. I knew Boras would use the ansy Pirate fan base as leverage in his negotiations. Boras knows that the Pirates need a talent like Alvarez to show the Pirates fans that they mean business and are dedicated to win. If we do not sign him, then the fan base would explode, saying that the PBC isn't dedicated to pay for the talent necessary to win.

I say all that is a load of crap. I say, don't sign Alvarez, let him go back to college leaving 5 Million on the table, take the compensary pick at #3 next year, couple it with a nice low draft pick that we may receive from this year and have a great draft. Tell Borass to go freakin fly a kite. And for all you Pirate fans that will freak out about the Pirates not wanting to break the bank for a guy who hasn't even played professional baseball yet, you need to get a life. Sure Alvarez has talent, and he is an "elite" prospect, but it doesn't mean that he should get a ML deal today.

I knew from the beginning that this was going to be ugly, after Alvarez was drafted he should have been excited and said something like like "I can't wait to get my pro career started with Pittsburgh," but no... it was something like "Its going to be a long process, blah, blah, blah..." You know, some Boras dumbass jargen.

Throw him back Coonelly! I am with yah! Don't give in to his outrageous demands, let him think about going back to dorm life when he could be rich!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:20 pm 

We need to sign Alvarez, and Scheppers too, if the medical reports are good, but we can't grossly over pay. That's no way to run a business.

Of course if it weren't for the boneheaded previous GM, we could have had Wieters and still have been able to afford to overpay for these two picks. Plus we would have Raj Davis still in the fold, if ya know what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:24 pm 

We do not need to grossly overpay Alvarez. So far, he isn't rating high on my "fan-o-meter."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:23 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
We do not need to grossly overpay Alvarez. So far, he isn't rating high on my "fan-o-meter."

Because he wants to get paid? Is that so wrong? If it were me, I'd want to get every dollar I can out of that first contract. Who knows: I may never reach the majors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:

8 of the first 11 picks haven't signed. This is nothing new and no reflection on the Pirates or Alvarez. it's just business.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:17 pm 

If the Pirates don't sign Alvarez, they'll have the 3rd overall pick next year in which it is expected to be a rich and deep pitching draft with a few #1 rotation potential picks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:25 pm 

According to the Tribune-Review, Scheppers is coming to PGH for medical reviews and to pitch from a mound...
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_579133.html

Quote:
Second-round pick Tanner Scheppers, who hasn't signed, is expected to come to Pittsburgh in the next few days for medical exams and to throw off a mound for team officials.

From the same article Coonelly discusses the team's approach if Alvarez is not signed:

Quote:
"We haven't set any termination point (for Alvarez)," Coonelly said. "But we certainly have selected players in the later rounds of the draft who would be costly to sign.

"If it appears to us we will be unable to sign Pedro, we will make a concerted effort to sign additional players who slipped in the draft because of their signing demands."

The next 3 weeks will be interesting for a variety of reasons...as a group we will either be satisfied or purple with rage...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:48 pm 

Something to consider... if we do NOT sign Alvarez, then we will have the # 3 draft pick and arguably another top 10 pick. Let us be realists, we will probably unload a couple of the 5 main trade-bait players (Nady, Marte, Bay, Grabow, Wilson). That will leave us vulnerable to a late season plunge, and yet another high draft pick. Anyway, with us picking high not once, but twice, what are the chance we at least want (very badly) to draft another player that is represented by Scott Boras? Pretty high by my estimate. My point is this, we have to becareful we do not burn a bridge with Boras. As much as I would like to see sports agents like Boras go away, they are not. And as long as the Pirates continue to lose badly every single year, then we will inevitably have to deal with agents like Boras.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:14 am 

Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Because he wants to get paid? Is that so wrong? If it were me, I'd want to get every dollar I can out of that first contract. Who knows: I may never reach the majors.

Because he wants to get paid more than he is worth, and more than the first overall pick of this year. That's why.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Because he wants to get paid more than he is worth, and more than the first overall pick of this year. That's why.

I honestly believe he comes down from his demands.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:25 pm 

Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

5 Million dollars and a good financial consultant could set him up for life. Its easy to make money when you have money. Wasting an opportunity to get to the big leagues sooner by driving a "hard bargain" shows that he's more concerned about money than baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:10 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

5 Million dollars and a good financial consultant could set him up for life. Its easy to make money when you have money. Wasting an opportunity to get to the big leagues sooner by driving a "hard bargain" shows that he's more concerned about money than baseball.

I imagine he's more concerned about his family than playing a game. I don't know if you've ever been to Washington Heights in NY, but it's not a nice place (think Harlem, but worse). A good chunk of money from his first contract could get his family out of that neighborhood along with setting him up for life.

By the way, how do you know that Alvarez has been offered $5M?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:36 pm 

Willton wrote:
By the way, how do you know that Alvarez has been offered $5M?

I presume PF13 is commenting on the likely neighborhood as to the amount of money being offered. The number 1 pick this year, Beckham, signed for $6.1 million. The number 2 pick last year, Mike Moustakas, signed for $4 million. A bonus of $5 million would be right in the neighborhood of what the Pirates are looking to pay in bonus money.

Boras wants more than what Beckham got. He is probably in the area of $8 million demand, and looking to wind up at $7 million.

Where do I get these numbers? From Boras' statements about the money he wants Alvarez paid in bonus, the bonus paid to Beckham, last year's bonuses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:43 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
All quiet on the Alvarez/Scheppers signing front.

Any word on either guy? Has Scheppers been examined yet? If so, what was found? If not, when is this going to take place?

Is Alvarez going to wait until August 14 to sign? If so, is Boras planning on purchasing Bucfan some antacid??

I think that the plan with Scheppers was to wait until the last possible medical report before starting serious negotiations.