Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:36 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
4-for-5 tonight, 3 doubles, 3 RBI, average now up to .292.

On the season, he has 18 HR and 24 doubles in 271 at-bats. Surely, he deserves a promotion to Altoona.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:22 am
Posts: 16
Didnt DK write something about Romak needing to complete all the goals in his "book" as per Kyle Stark? If I recall it revolves around his being TOO selective...

There is still time in the season for them to get his feet wet in Altoona...If we get to this time next month and he is still in Lynchburg...

_________________
===============
Mick


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:11 am
Posts: 59
Location: POLISH HILL
suffering is good.
Builds character.
Steve Pearce anyone?

_________________
"I'm a Pirate."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:30 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Mick Kraut wrote:
Didnt DK write something about Romak needing to complete all the goals in his "book" as per Kyle Stark? If I recall it revolves around his being TOO selective...


Found it. Thanks, MK.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:59 am 
They were talking about Romak on the radio the other day ... apparently management is concerned about how often he strikes out. That might be the reason for not promoting him.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5052
Location: Pittsburgh
Bob in Boston wrote:
4-for-5 tonight, 3 doubles, 3 RBI, average now up to .292.

On the season, he has 18 HR and 24 doubles in 271 at-bats. Surely, he deserves a promotion to Altoona.

He has nothing left to prove at high A. The Pirates are making a huge mistake for holding him there this long. Whatever they think he needs to improve isn't going to change at that level because he continues to have great success doing things the way he always has done them at that level. They need to move him up to AA and let him learn through failure, assuming that they are right in the first place.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:27 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
4-for-5 tonight, 3 doubles, 3 RBI, average now up to .292.

On the season, he has 18 HR and 24 doubles in 271 at-bats. Surely, he deserves a promotion to Altoona.

He has nothing left to prove at high A. The Pirates are making a huge mistake for holding him there this long. Whatever they think he needs to improve isn't going to change at that level because he continues to have great success doing things the way he always has done them at that level. They need to move him up to AA and let him learn through failure, assuming that they are right in the first place.


I agree. Even if the strikeouts are a problem, I'd rather see him strikeout at Altoona.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10560
Romak's K rate is simply startling. He has fanned once every 3.2 plate appearances in high-A ball. He cannot succeed at higher levels unless he lowers his K rate.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5052
Location: Pittsburgh
Bucfan wrote:
Romak's K rate is simply startling. He has fanned once every 3.2 plate appearances in high-A ball. He cannot succeed at higher levels unless he lowers his K rate.

I agree with you, but it's clear that he isn't learning anything where he is. Send him to Altoona and let him hit .180 for a while, then see if he adjusts. It's not like he'd be displacing a real prospect.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10560
sisyphus wrote:
I agree with you, but it's clear that he isn't learning anything where he is.


He is hitting really well this season in high-A ball. His average, slugging percentage, and OBP are very good. So, he is apparently learning something - he just needs to learn to avoid K's at the present rate.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5052
Location: Pittsburgh
Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I agree with you, but it's clear that he isn't learning anything where he is.


He is hitting really well this season in high-A ball. His average, slugging percentage, and OBP are very good. So, he is apparently learning something - he just needs to learn to avoid K's at the present rate.

I don't think we disagree. His numbers (outside of his strikeout rate) are good already, so why should he worry about his strikeouts? He's been striking out somewhere in the neighborhood of once per three ABs for six years now, four of which were spent in A ball. It's pretty clear that he needs to have his face rubbed in his problem, and I think that will never happen until he gets to AA.

Frankly, I doubt that his K rate will ever be any good. I think that the best we can hope for is that he draws enough walks and hits enough homers to overcome a .230 BA, and the dramatic drop in his walk rate this year bodes ill for that.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Romak to AA... He got his promotion... I wonder if Pirate brass look to this forum for direction? :shock:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Piratefan13 wrote:
Romak to AA... He got his promotion... I wonder if Pirate brass look to this forum for direction? :shock:

Believe me, we weren't the only people pushing for Romak's promotion.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am 
Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Romak to AA... He got his promotion... I wonder if Pirate brass look to this forum for direction? :shock:

Believe me, we weren't the only people pushing for Romak's promotion.


Who else was?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Elmer wrote:
Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Romak to AA... He got his promotion... I wonder if Pirate brass look to this forum for direction? :shock:

Believe me, we weren't the only people pushing for Romak's promotion.

Who else was?

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2008/6/30/561 ... l-at-lynch

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What does Jamie Romak have left to prove at High-A?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:19 am 
Willton wrote:

Thanks


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], NDL, No. 9 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits