Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sean Burnett???
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:15 am 

Give this guy a shot...... just give it to him.....
relieving is not his game........
say what you will but if Duke is in this rotation
I see no reason why he should be looked over
for the likes of JVB or Herrera
NONE.

Post subject: Re: Sean Burnett???
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 am 

I don't get it either.. I always felt Burnett should get another shot as a starter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:56 am 

JVB has at least had success at Indy as a starter. He deserves (well, deserved) the chance to try and translate that into success at the big league level. Burnett, on the other hand, struggled as a starter at AAA, and there is no reason to think he would be successful at the big league level as a starter. He is a known commodity. Further, I think that on a club with any pitching depth at all, JVB wouldn't have been given as many chances either.

The Pirates AND Burnett agreed to switch him to relief prior to this year. Its his last shot to make it. He has a 4+ ERA in that role, and it would be even higher had Grabow not bailed his @ss out last night. I can't figure out why people think he would be any better starting. Yes, I know JVB hasn't set the bar real high, but c'mon.

And Herrera is another story altogether. He is, in a word, a project. I doubt he will get another shot this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:11 am 

Yeah, I've been thinking the exact same thing over the last couple days. If we are that hard up, just give Burnett the ball and try to stretch him out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:37 am 
doug frobel wrote:
Yeah, I've been thinking the exact same thing over the last couple days. If we are that hard up, just give Burnett the ball and try to stretch him out.

I agree. Give him a shot. It seems he has never been given the leash that others have. JVB may have had more success in the minors, but Burnett had some success as a starter in the majors, where it counts.

I'm not suggesting making him a cornerstone of the rotation. But throwing him out there for 5 starts and seeing what happens makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:13 pm 

I mentioned this option on another board, but I have noticed that Burnett's velocity seems to be declining. I am not sure why, but the last time Burnett pitched he was throwing 86 mph, rather than the 92 mph when he first returned to the Buccos.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:40 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I don't know. The gun last night had his fastball at 92mph, spot on.

No command.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:04 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I don't know. The gun last night had his fastball at 92mph, spot on.
ZM

I did not see him last night ... I saw him throwing against Colorado, and he was throwing 86, 87 mph. Their gun had one Rockies starter throwing 97-98, and Yates at 96-97, so it was not a "slow gun."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:14 pm 

I saw 92 mph last night too. Maybe he was overthrowing which caused him to lose command. I don't know. It's a sad state of affairs when we are left to argue why they are giving JVB more opportunities than Sean Burnett...just when you thought this organization couldn't go any lower...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:29 pm 
PirateParrot wrote:
I saw 92 mph last night too. Maybe he was overthrowing which caused him to lose command. I don't know. It's a sad state of affairs when we are left to argue why they are giving JVB more opportunities than Sean Burnett...just when you thought this organization couldn't go any lower...

Very true. I think we'll see at least one new starter in there come August following trade/trades. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what this management team does this trade deadline. I think the moves they make will reveal a lot about the future of the team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:10 pm 

Maybe a soft-tosser like Burnett took some extra time to get to the plate considering the elevation?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:18 pm 

Parrot had it right. We're reduced to arguing about these two as a starter for a major league team. Can it get any worse? No.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:37 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Sure it could.

See: Thread: Wells, Kip

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:25 am 

once again, relieving is not his game. Call it just a hunch but having heard this guy talk and to have seen how he performed in spring training trumps everyone (with the exception of Snell). We need fire (maybe not velocity) on the mound and gorzo, duke, and <insert your favorite part-time starter> have not delivered. Give him a chance to fail. Thats all I have to say.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:29 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Burnett can't get out of an inning without giving up a hit. Hasn't done it all year.

He's not going back to starting, so its really a moot point.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:26 am 

buc commander wrote:
once again, relieving is not his game. Call it just a hunch but having heard this guy talk and to have seen how he performed in spring training trumps everyone (with the exception of Snell). We need fire (maybe not velocity) on the mound and gorzo, duke, and <insert your favorite part-time starter> have not delivered. Give him a chance to fail. Thats all I have to say.

He failed plenty as a starter in AAA. There's no reason to think that anything will be different in a more difficult league.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:44 am 
Willton wrote:
buc commander wrote:

He failed plenty as a starter in AAA. There's no reason to think that anything will be different in a more difficult league.

He did fail plenty as a starter in AAA, but he also succeeded at MLB at one time. I'm not predicting success, but given how bad the alternatives are, I think giving him the same sort of chance would be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:56 am 

Elmer wrote:

He did fail plenty as a starter in AAA, but he also succeeded at MLB at one time. I'm not predicting success, but given how bad the alternatives are, I think giving him the same sort of chance would be fine.

The Burnett that "succeeded" in MLB in the past has no bearing on his capabilities today. He has had arm surgery (surgeries?) since then. That should not even enter the equation in evaluating his options now, especially since all of the evidence since then has contradicted it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:59 am 

He is starting to show some progress, but I think he is in the right spot as a reliever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:04 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

The Burnett that "succeeded" in MLB in the past has no bearing on his capabilities today. He has had arm surgery (surgeries?) since then. That should not even enter the equation in evaluating his options now, especially since all of the evidence since then has contradicted it.

I know he's a far cry from that pitcher and his success as a starter isn't likely. I still think it wouldn't hurt to give him some of the starts that, say, JVB gets.