Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colby Rasmus to Pittsburgh?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:21 pm 

John Heyman is usually a fount of egg-headedness and misinformation, but this little blurb from SI got my pulse going a bit.

Quote:
• Overheard at the pre-All-Star Game bash out on Randall's Island. The contending Cardinals might even consider parting with top outfield prospect Colby Rasmus, a major surprise. If so, it may put them in line to land Pittsburgh's Xavier Nady, or even Jason Bay.

An outfield of McLouth, McCutchen and Rasmus? Sign me up, please.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: Colby Rasmus to Pittsburgh?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:11 pm 

NO Thank YOu! Back to square onewith two utterly untried rookies with too much pressure on them and no veteran back up is a guarantee of failure and back to sqaure one.

They trade Nady and Bay and I am officially out of here (Judge Landis style)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 pm 

Pitching pitching pitching.

Unles Colby can throw 6 innings every pitch day at some point in the near future, he's worthless to the Bucs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:24 pm 

Corsair wrote:
NO Thank YOu! Back to square onewith two utterly untried rookies with too much pressure on them and no veteran back up is a guarantee of failure and back to sqaure one.

They trade Nady and Bay and I am officially out of here (Judge Landis style)

Don't understand this one Corsair. If you can trade Rasmus for Nady, this deal would be very one-sided for the Pirates. Rasmus is the top prospect for the Cards (and eighth overall in baseball going into 2008) and he would be under the Bucs control for 6 years. Even if Nady maintains his current production, he is a Boras client and is gone after 2009. You could try to keep Bay, but he would be past his prime when the new contract would kick in.

As for pitching, yes the Pirates need it, but the Pirates need everything. If you can get a hitter like Rasmus, you take him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:28 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

As for pitching, yes the Pirates need it, but the Pirates need everything. If you can get a hitter like Rasmus, you take him.

Absolutely. I would guess there are about 29 major league teams who would give up a Nady-caliber player for Rasmus in a heartbeat. So even if you are crazy enough to believe that we don't need an outfield prospect, you could flip him immediately for someone at least as good as Nady. This kid, along with McCutchen and Cameron Maybin, are being slobbered over by scouts and statisticians alike. Having 2 of the 3 (probably the better 2) would be phenomenal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:29 pm 

I should add that, having said that, I don't think there is any way in hell the Cards give up Rasmus for Nady.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:43 pm 

BBF wrote:
I should add that, having said that, I don't think there is any way in hell the Cards give up Rasmus for Nady.

I doubt the Cards give up Rasmus at all, but on principle, yes, you do this deal.

Plus, with a talent like Rasmus in the fold, other pieces suddenly become expendable. Pearce and Walker become eminently package-able with Jack or one of Bay/Nady for the pitching you need.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:50 pm 

BBF wrote:

I agree BBF. But how about Rasmus and Ottavino for Nady and Marte?

Let's face it. Nobody is going to give us a 6 player deal like Milwaukee and the Cubs did. Nady just doesn't have the pedigree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:13 pm 

I guess that I have a much higher opinion of Nady than most of you. It would be a good deal because we would control the kid for 6 years, but guys for St. Louis to consider it, Nady must be better than many of you think.
His is still a leading hitting in the NL and haviing a great year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I guess that I have a much higher opinion of Nady than most of you. It would be a good deal because we would control the kid for 6 years, but guys for St. Louis to consider it, Nady must be better than many of you think.

It's not how good Nady is. It's how much the Cardinals want to commit to winning now. Nady helps them win now. Rasmus doesn't.

Besides, Heyman never mentioned the Cards were thinking about this deal. He said they would consider trading Rasmus. He just threw Nady in there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:26 pm 

One update on Colby Rasmus (a very high-level prospect) was quoted in another forum. The quoted information did not have a link, so I cannot cite any source, but this source reports the following with respect to any Rasmus trade:

Cardinals fans can rest easy about their top prospect, however. Joe Strauss asked team chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. if there is any chance Rasmus could play his first MLB game in another uniform. DeWitt's reply: "I don't anticipate that. No."

It appears that the Cards are taking a hard line on trading Rasmus (no shock there). That position may change if the Pirate OF'ers continue to pound the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:29 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

I like Nady a lot as a player. He was a very good player last year, but his second half was hampered by hamstring problems.

And one thing about Nady - he likes Pittsburgh and would prefer to remain a Pirate:

"Xavier Nady, a popular figure with his teammates, has been visibly bugged by the trade rumors involving his name in recent days. He knows that outfield is the Pirates' lone area of depth and that he is the most obvious choice to go. He also knows that Scott Boras, his agent, always advises his clients to try free agency, and that time will come for Nady after next season. Partly because of that, the Pirates never have approached him about a contract extension. "I've enjoyed it here. I really have," Nady said. "I enjoy this group of guys and these coaches. You spend eight or nine hours a day with the same people, it's important to enjoy that, and I do. I'd love to stay here a long time. I enjoy being part of the Pirates. But I also know there's nothing I can do about that."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 pm 
I would trade Nady for Rasmus. If they do that, though, I hope they keep Bay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I would trade Nady for Rasmus.

I concur. But Cards are not likely to trade Rasmus. He projects as a 25 HR, .300 avg., .500 slugging, 30 SB offensive player, with good range and a plus arm in the OF. Those guys are very rare.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:11 pm 

If we all think the pirates lineup is good now, Mccutchen, Mclouth, Alvarez, Doumit, Rasmus makes it seem ridiculous. Also like stated before, if we were to get Rasmus it would make others expandable where we could go out and get some pitching help that we desperately need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:24 pm 

DK squashed the unlikely Rasmus to Pittsburgh rumor on his blog today...link below...

DK says Rasmus is untouchable

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:08 pm 

BBF wrote:
DK squashed the unlikely Rasmus to Pittsburgh rumor on his blog today...link below...

DK says Rasmus is untouchable

From the blog

And this, too: Be sure that teams are testing Neal Huntington's mettle. They want to see if he gets rattled by things in the press. I heard of one specific instance of this occurring even as early as last winter, where a story was essentially planted by a rival GM in large part just to see how -- or if -- the Pirates would react. They did not react at all, which probably was the right reaction.

I'll bet that was the Kevin Towers nonsense a few months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 pm 

If we got Rasmus for Nady, or even Nady+Marte, I would do cartwheels.