Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why is Laroche hitting as high as 6th?
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:55 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Quote:
Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction.

You're right - absolutely right. :P

"Google[bot]" has asked me to tell you that you must NEVER inquire about him again. Consider this trick a one time gift from "Google[bot]". "Google[bot]" has a list, you're this close >< to being on it. It's a bad list to be on, trust me.

Oh no!!!, I've got to go.......nobody......but....he's my friend........{Fade}

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:10 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
So you must think that LaRoche should be cut some slack, as he has out-hit Sanchez every single season that they've both been in baseball.

Nope. We're talking about April/May here. Not all year.

Really? Then why do folks keep bringing up two year old batting titles?

Quote:
Come July, I'll certainly give more slack to LaRoche based on his history. Outside the fact that I don't define hitting the way you do, (I actually consider hitting to be hitting the ball, not overall run production), LaRoche has no batting titles to his name, and he is not recovering from anything.

So if the Pirates out-hit the Giants 12-9 tonight, do they win the game? No. Baseball is not about getting a high batting average. Baseball is about scoring more runs than you allow. OPS correlates well with run production. Batting average does not. LaRoche has had a higher OPS than Sanchez every year. LaRoche is the better hitter.

Quote:
DH'ing could protect the shoulder that is being irrated by everyday fielding and throwing.

Not if swinging a bat causes him shoulder pain it can't. LaRoche and the Pirates say it doesn't, and they are backed up by one of the most respected orthopedic surgeons in the world, so I tend to believe them.

Quote:
You and I have no way of knowing this other than their denials. Given Freddie's consistant history of contact at every level of play and history of hitting .300 or so, yeah, I'll give him more slack. He has a much quicker chance of making contact, getting on base by contact and in short, coming out of this sooner than LaRoche.

I don't care about contact. I care about scoring runs, and LaRoche has a better history of doing the things it takes to score runs, and also of avoiding outs.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 pm 
I agree with some of what you say, but I still don't see why a discussion about LaRoche has to turn into a discussion about Freddy. TWO DIFFERENT TOPICS.

And to your point about producing runs, I agree. LaRoche has a better history of doing that ... but not in April. Why put him out there in April if he's shown he can't do it.

I will not believe for a second that he "has to find his stroke." They guy hit in spring training, so it's not physical. It's a mental thing. Play him sparingly until May.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:58 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Argentum:

You made me bust up three different times in this thread.

Wow, you do not get the argentum medal - you get the aurum medal!!

Argentum's Medal - Funniest Series of Posts, 2008

Now that I've renounced all of the claims that I've made in this thread, do I have to return the medal? :(

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Where I get confused with this post is why, according to Sisy, someone isn't allowed to criticize LaRoche without criticizing Sanchez. Yes, Freddy sucks right now but that wasn't the topic of this post. Go start a "Freddy sucks" post.

Well Elmer, unfortunately for you, it appears that your commonsensical discovery will put you in the same boat as I, possession of a sub 4th grade reading comprehension level. Welcome aboard! I hope you brought another oar though, I've only got one and have been paddling around in circles for days!

Argentum - you are killing me in this thread.

Welcome to the crowded ship, Elmer. I may be demoted to first mate and Argentum to captain based on his insightful points and well-stated arguments. Along with some pretty funny stuff.

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Welcome to the crowded ship, Elmer. I may be demoted to first mate and Argentum to captain based on his insightful points and well-stated arguments. Along with some pretty funny stuff.

We need a name. I'm thinking something along the lines of the "SS Frustration". Or maybe we appoint Bertie to Captain and call it the "HMS Piranic". We'll be a ship of lovable losers. Maybe spin it off into a tv show, every week we engage into battle against those who refuse to answer direct questions while answering only those asked by themselves. We get frustrated, and sail off into the sunset poised to do battle "next time". To bad Don Knotts passed, he would have been my first choice to play me!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:45 am 

Argentum wrote:
To bad Don Knotts passed, he would have been my first choice to play me!

Here was the celebrity most likely to play me in this series:

Alas, he too is gone. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:41 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
We need a name. I'm thinking something along the lines of the "SS Frustration". Or maybe we appoint Bertie to Captain and call it the "HMS Piranic". We'll be a ship of lovable losers. Maybe spin it off into a tv show, every week we engage into battle against those who refuse to answer direct questions while answering only those asked by themselves. We get frustrated, and sail off into the sunset poised to do battle "next time". To bad Don Knotts passed, he would have been my first choice to play me!

Calling it HMS Pinafore would not only be more apposite but also enable PirateKing (whose alternate handle escapes me) to reel off the entire lyrics of "So give three cheers and one cheer more for the gallant/hearty/well-bred etc. Captain of the Pinafore". (Apologies to G&S).