Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McLouth...good game last night
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 am 
 WWW  Profile

McLouth had a pretty good All-Star game last night. He was 1-4 and almost ended the game in (I think) the 14th inning with a towering shot to the warning track. He made a game-saving throw to home plate to nail a runner in the 11th as well. All in all, he made the Pirates proud!

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

Post subject: Re: McLouth...good game last night
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:47 am 

Indeed he did. That inning when he nailed the runner at home and then ran out the hit when he lead off that inning were huge. I was talking with a non-Pirates fan friend and he jokingly mentioned then, who would have thought the deciding factor of the World Series would be a Pittsburgh Pirate. The NL should have finished it off then, and well had a million opportunities but could never get a damn run across. It was a shame, too, because McLouth, Tejada and Russell Martin we're doing all they could.

Dan Uggla played early season Luis Rivas last night, with (All-Star record setting) 3 errors, and going 0-4 with 3 strikeouts and grounding into a DP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:44 pm 

Absolutely. I got so excited when that near homer came off his bat, and man was I disappointed when it came up short. If it went out and the NL could have closed it, we are talking about your All-Star MVP Nate McLouth.

I also just want to add that Nate's game saving throw was awesome but didn't get nearly enough praise from the announcers. Instead they just talked about how great the play was by the catcher (whose name slips my mind) to scoop it and make the tag. Don't get me wrong it was a nice play by the catcher but it wouldn't have been possible without Nate's near perfect throw. The only dap Nate could get was a 'nice throw' and they heaped all their effusive praise on the catcher.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

They heaped praise on McLouth a little bit later. That airhead McCarver is a former catcher, so he wanted to cream his pants over Russell Martin's catch and plate-block. McCarver always likes to pump up the catchers...same way Dan Diedorf would constantly pump up the offensive linemen on MNF for years. A runningback could run three guys over on a way to a TD and Dierdorf would say "what a job by those offensive linemen".

Got a laugh over that dork Wade Boggs in the pre-game introductions, though. In the Hall of Fame as a Red Sox (Red Sock?) and listed on TV as such...but he put his YANKEE hat on to get a cheap cheer from the crowd.

Joe Buck seemed to HATE the extra innings, but I thought it was a very entertaining game. Aaron Cook and the NL getting out of no outs and the bases loaded?! Really made it seem...y'know...important.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:52 pm 

eStragand wrote:
same way Dan Diedorf would constantly pump up the offensive linemen on MNF for years. A runningback could run three guys over on a way to a TD and Dierdorf would say "what a job by those offensive linemen".

Or when he does a Steeler game and the Steelers are up by 21 points with 2 Minutes left and still finds things to rip them about on the field and talk bad on their players

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...