Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:27 am 

Great read in the PG today by Colin Dunlap about our first round pick. His history and the odds of him signing according to his neighbors in Washington Heights. Also interesting history of the neighborhood and the other quality major leaguers who came from there.

They seem to think that he will sign for sure with the Pirates.

I'd give you the link but Don't know how. The top of this page, of course gives you the chance to link the PG Sports site.

Post subject: Re: Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 am 

Link:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08197/897049-63.stm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 pm 

Man, I hope they get it done soon. It would be great to see him in the starting lineup in a couple years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:29 pm 

love to see him in a 'Dads uniform if only for a short glimpse...but that appears doubtful with each passing day....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:29 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
Great read in the PG today by Colin Dunlap about our first round pick. His history and the odds of him signing according to his neighbors in Washington Heights. Also interesting history of the neighborhood and the other quality major leaguers who came from there.

I'd give you the link but Don't know how. The top of this page, of course gives you the chance to link the PG Sports site.

An interview with Alvarez would have made a good story. This story had no meat ... it's obvious the PG had big plans for this story, but if you can't get in touch with the primary source, is it really sports front page worthy?

I thought it made the PG look kind of silly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:35 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

An interview with Alvarez would have made a good story. This story had no meat ... it's obvious the PG had big plans for this story, but if you can't get in touch with the primary source, is it really sports front page worthy?

I thought it made the PG look kind of silly.

No way in hell would Boras allow Alvarez to give an interview about signing. Are you nuts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:02 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

.... Will make all your dreams come true! ...

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:43 pm 
BBF wrote:

No way in hell would Boras allow Alvarez to give an interview about signing. Are you nuts?

Exactly. He wont' talk until after he signs. So a huge spread on him now is kind of "non-news" ... there's no meat to that at all. The PG was trying to force something there.

News reports on the progress or negotiations are adequate. When he signs, then the big spread fits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:47 pm 

I thought the story had plenty of meat. It was interesting to learn something about who he is and where he comes from.

The PG was not able to get any details on the negotiations, but that was to be expected, and doesn't mean it wasn't a good story.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm 
Ralphie wrote:
I thought the story had plenty of meat. It was interesting to learn something about who he is and where he comes from.

The PG was not able to get any details on the negotiations, but that was to be expected, and doesn't mean it wasn't a good story.

Really? I didn't see a feature story on an individual without a single comment from that individual as having much meat. Certainly not enough to justify the space it took up in the paper.

That story would have been better situated (and a better story) after he signs. As a reader, I want to know about him. His thoughts and feelings. Not those of his neighbors who happen to be sitting outside in upper Manhattan the day the reporter happened to stop by.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:38 pm 

Elmer--

I don't know your definition of news or feature writing but that was of interest to the readership of PG. To suggest that finding out about the history of the young man was not something people wanted is a little silly. We'll get the details of the deal if and when he signs. At this stage it was very interesting to know the backround from which the deal may come.

I want to know Bob from Boston's view of this. He is a professional journalist. What do you think Bob?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:21 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Elmer--

I don't know your definition of news or feature writing but that was of interest to the readership of PG. To suggest that finding out about the history of the young man was not something people wanted is a little silly. We'll get the details of the deal if and when he signs. At this stage it was very interesting to know the backround from which the deal may come.

I want to know Bob from Boston's view of this. He is a professional journalist. What do you think Bob?

Further, it was not written by DK or Meyer or anyone who regularly covers the Pirates. It was nothing more than a biographical piece. There are regularly biographic articles in the paper, of artists and musicians, political figures, or other noteworthy people that do not contain quotes from them. It should be evaluated in that light, not in terms of how much information it gave us about him signing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:46 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
Elmer--

I didn't say it wasn't interesting. I'm talking about the degree of the spread ... putting the cart before the horse. The big spread on Pedro should come after he signs, when he could actually comment.

Talking to people from the neighborhood who view him as a hero is a little interesting, but they are hardly sources. From what Dunlap said on the radio, he went to the neighborhood and asked the people he found about Pedro, those aren't sources.

A big feature story on a person should have comments from, well, that person.