Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This team
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:31 pm 

This is a fun team to watch. They don't quit and play the game hard. The way the offense is playing they are never really out of the game. Last night's game showed that. I know that last night's game is an aberration, but this team, IMHO, is the type of team that the city embraces. I think they deserve better support than they have been getting. This weekend's crowds were good. I hope that continues. Jeez, if we could get a little pitching we could make more noise than we are now.

Post subject: Re: This team
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:47 pm 

Last night's game and so far this one have been very exciting. Fun to watch and it's nice that they have decent crowds for them. Friday's game was not fun nor were over half the preceeding games. If they win people will come out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:01 pm 

Az, this team is only fun to watch on offense. The pitching is so bad, it truly hurts to watch them squander leads over and over again. Ugh! Looks like we are going to need some magic again today from the offense...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:01 pm 

The question now is 'can we score in double figures again today?'

Wow, Nady threw out another guy. He just keeps on going on. That must keep him in first place in assists!!

Now, let's repeat last night. Their pitching is pretty ugly too. Here we go!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:06 pm 

Az - after the title, I thought that the thread would continue with, "Would be a lot better without Osoria on the roster."

He is just not a good pitcher. He struggles with control. He throws a ton of very hittable 88 mph fastballs, thigh-high, middle of the plate. He gives up a lot of XBH and home runs. He does not strike out batters. For a supposed sinker ball pitcher, he gives up a ton of fly balls and balls ripped into the gap.

Other than that, he is pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:33 pm 

This game has turned really, really ugly. The Pirates pitching right now is just dreadful. Embarrassing. Discouraging. Disappointing. Demoralizing. Pathetic. Lackluster. Moribund.

The Pirates pitching right now is probably responsible for 25% of all Thesaurus sales in Western Pennsylvania.

Bob Walk just said that in this series, the Cardinals are hitting .400. Good Lord, they have Cesar Izturis in the starting line-up and are hitting .400??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:00 pm 

Walk said that they had 49 or 50 hits in 3 games.

Either way that's over 16 hits a game. It's even generous to call our pitching all those things. The just is no word to describe them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:18 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Walk said that they had 49 or 50 hits in 3 games.

Either way that's over 16 hits a game. It's even generous to call our pitching all those things. The just is no word to describe them.

And once again may I give a big thank you to David Littlefield. He of the quote, "we are going to build this thing through pitching." Ha That actually makes me laugh out loud just a little.

And this pitching staff does give credence to Elmer's thoughts on maybe they should have scoured waiver wires, garbage piles, landfills, 3rd world countries, wherever, to find some more arms. I'm not advocating that they should have spent a bunch of money on mop up guys but wow...Beam, Osoria, Salas, Sanchez...these guys really can't get guys out. I know other teams have guys like this, but not whole rosters full of them. And our decent guys have been overworked so much they are losing what effectiveness they had. Could get real ugly if the starters don't pick it up the second half.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:53 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Wow, Nady threw out another guy. He just keeps on going on. That must keep him in first place in assists!!

You're correct, Sub, he does. Or, at least, he's tied for first among all MLB outfielders with B.J. Upton and Nick Markakis. Each has 9 assists.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 pm 

Man, this is the kind of attitude that just annoys the hell out of me. Plays hard, never quits, plays the game the right way, blah blah blah. They are a second to last place team. When and if they start winning more they will get more support. Sure there have been some fun games this year but I refuse to hang my hat on a few exciting wins over the course of yet another losing season. I'll never understand a lot of the media people and fans who keep getting exciting and trying to promote this team based on absolutely any spin they can come up to try and sell a losing team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:30 pm 

Pirates4real wrote:
Man, this is the kind of attitude that just annoys the hell out of me. Plays hard, never quits, plays the game the right way, blah blah blah. They are a second to last place team. When and if they start winning more they will get more support. Sure there have been some fun games this year but I refuse to hang my hat on a few exciting wins over the course of yet another losing season. I'll never understand a lot of the media people and fans who keep getting exciting and trying to promote this team based on absolutely any spin they can come up to try and sell a losing team.

More spin, proceed at own risk..................

Gotta disagree with the sentiment that the accolades being thrown the Pirates way are nothing more than spin. Offensively they rank in the top 10 in all of MLB. They are 9th in runs scored. All that with a sleeping 1st, 2nd, and 3rd baseman to boot. Every team in the top 10 in runs scored has a winning record, excepting of course us. That's significant improvement over years past. Not spin.

If Snell, Gorzo, and [insert name here 5th starter] don't shit the bed this year, things would be entirely different. That's not spin, it's fact.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:46 pm 

All I said is that they were a fun team to watch and play the game the right way. Nothing more, nothing less.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:55 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Pirates4real wrote:

More spin, proceed at own risk..................

Gotta disagree with the sentiment that the accolades being thrown the Pirates way are nothing more than spin. Offensively they rank in the top 10 in all of MLB. They are 9th in runs scored. All that with a sleeping 1st, 2nd, and 3rd baseman to boot. Every team in the top 10 in runs scored has a winning record, excepting of course us. That's significant improvement over years past. Not spin.

If Snell, Gorzo, and [insert name here 5th starter] don't shit the bed this year, things would be entirely different. That's not spin, it's fact.

I actually agree. I know the offense has been great this year and bad pitching is preventing the Bucs from having a better record, I know that's not spin. The thing that annoys me that I regard as spin is the vague, meaningless talk like "this team plays hard and never quits" or "this is the type of team that Pittsburgh can really embrace." It's the same kind of thing we keep hearing every year. After the comeback against the Cards, I was listening to sports talk radio the next day and the hosts and callers were practically glowing, acting like the Pirates had actually accomplished something besides win one game. Bottom line, whatever improvements we have seen this year have not been enough to keep us from being a losing team yet again. It just seems like a lot of people want to latch on to and trumpet whatever positive they can find and I think it's embarrassing. For example people were practically ready to throw a parade when Freddy won the batting title the other year. There's a certain brand of Pirate fan out there that is always wearing these rose colored glasses.

OP, I wasn't necessarily trying to attack you, it's just that to me phrases like "play the game the right way" are vague and meaningless. Sure there have been some fun games this year, that win against the Cards was one of them but to me winning more often and actually being in contention is what I would really call fun and yet again our Bucs are not doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
All I said is that they were a fun team to watch and play the game the right way. Nothing more, nothing less.

Interesting. I wonder how all the teams that are winners and valid championship contenders play the game the right way and how fun are they to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:31 pm 

Hope really does spring eternal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:07 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Interesting. I wonder how all the teams that are winners and valid championship contenders play the game the right way and how fun are they to watch.

Trying to kill some more time til Latrobe, huh?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:57 pm 

Bullish, if that is a question, it makes no sense at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:18 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Bullish, if that is a question, it makes no sense at all.

Like I said, he writes the worst English I have ever encountered.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:13 am 

Part of a letter Neal Huntington sent to ticket owners(enablers)

Quote:
They have implemented a detail-oriented plan that emphasizes hard work, fundamentals and playing the game the right way. John has set a high level of expectation for each individual player and each staff member, as well as for the team as a whole; he also has held all involved accountable. While we have not won enough games to be considered a serious contender at this point of the season, this Pirates club works hard and competes from the first pitch of the game until the last pitch of the game. Our 23 come-from-behind wins ranks fifth in the National League and 10 wins in extra innings leads the Major Leagues. Both are a reflection of the team's resiliency.

Anyone who plays MLB should compete, play hard, use fundementals and play the game the right way. The only reflection is your W-L record and as usual, the Pirates SUCK. Just more BS spin from an organization that offers you baseball on the cheap. If you call being next to last or last place fun and playing the right way, we just have a different view on what is fun and the right way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:41 am 

A 10th ranked offense is really "Great" a top 5 offense is great. The pirates offense has been ok but the pitching is one of the worst in the league. They need to raise the payroll by around 10-20 million more and then maybe just maybe they will get .500. If they bump the payroll they can go out and get 1, 2, or even 3 quality pitchers through free agency.