Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The rest of this month...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:55 pm 

The schedule looks really good after the allstar game for the rest of this month. I think the pirates can sneak up to 500.

Post subject: Re: The rest of this month...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:16 pm 

Hope springs eternal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:30 pm 

It might be tough if the teams deals Nady and Bay and Marte

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:32 pm 

So if they win today (assuming they play), that puts us at 45-49, 4 games under. That would mean, for the rest of July, we would have to go 9-5. Given that schedule (Col, SD, and Hou), its not out of the realm of possibility. However, August is a bit more brutal with the Cubs, DBacks, Mets, Phils, Cards, and Brewers taking up most of the schedule. If we want to go .500 for the season, we better go 14-0 through the rest of July. Since I don't think that is reasonable, I'd have to advocate that we be sellers at the deadline.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:07 pm 

BBF wrote:
So if they win today (assuming they play), that puts us at 45-49, 4 games under. That would mean, for the rest of July, we would have to go 9-5. Given that schedule (Col, SD, and Hou), its not out of the realm of possibility. However, August is a bit more brutal with the Cubs, DBacks, Mets, Phils, Cards, and Brewers taking up most of the schedule. If we want to go .500 for the season, we better go 14-0 through the rest of July. Since I don't think that is reasonable, I'd have to advocate that we be sellers at the deadline.

My thoughts exactly, BBF. But we blew that out of the water with a loss today. Now we'll have to go 10-4 in that stretch to get to .500. Just to give it away in the three series that follow that...Gosh we need some pitching!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 am 

BBF and Doug---

You really express my thoughts exactly. Not a word of difference in opinion here.
We might and should do ok to end July, but August looke like a killer. We just don't stack up well with quality teams because we can't pitch except for Malholm and once in a while Duke. Relievers might be ok except they have to pitch so often that they all must be on empty now and probably for the rest of the year.

We don't have to sell all three (Bay,Nady, and Marte) now, but we need to start the process now. Keeping Marte until the FA will return some great draft choices. That might be the best plan for him. Bay or Nady must go in July to make room McCutchen, and will bring some real talent. One for sure, both if the deals are right. The other trade in the winter months.And sign our top two drafts from this year. Plus Latins and we could actually be building a competetive team in three years.

So, I'll hope we win now and feel good about the chances for winning more in a couple years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:54 am 

I was listening to the radio show during the rain delay the other night and Rocco was talking about Marte and the possibility of getting draft picks for him, and he said that the draft picks for Marte should be the consilation prize if no one is interested in him, and should be going for a prospect in the minor leagues, unless one is not offered...Someone who is supposed to be good already, and already has some professional experience under their belts.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:18 pm 

Heard them talking on the ESPN radio Sunday afternoon show(can't think of the 2 guys' names) and the baseball analyst said Nady WILL definitely be traded. He said the hold up in discussions so far has been the astronomical return Huntingdon wants for him. 2 GM's told this guy that right now they are asking for a CC Sabathia like return for him. He said that just won't happen. He said Huntingdon is smart enough to realize he will have to lower his asking price a bit and the trade of Nady will happen. Said they absolutely will not trade Bay unless it is an offer they can't refuse. They view him as someone to build around along with Mclouth.

In my opinion, you have to be careful about trading both. Maybe LaRoche if anyone wanted him. But I'm not sold on Pearce, however you do have to give him a chance at some point. Obviously McCutcheon will be your starting CF next season. After that, I'm not sure if either of our other "can't miss" guys(Pearce and Walker) are going to make it. As for Marte, I'm not sure it is a good idea to trade him. First, maybe you can negotiate a contract extension with him. Second you get top draft choices for him if he leaves via free agency. But the biggest thing is that I can't see them taking him away from this depleted bullpen. Even if winning isn't a priority the rest of this season you don't want to completely tank it. And right now he is the only guy, literally, that can be trusted in the bullpen. Quite frankly I like him far better as a closer even when/if Capps is healthy. If you are compelled to trade a lefty reliever I would much rather see them trade Grabow, even though the return wouldn't be as good. He does the same thing each year. Has a really great stretch, then is extremely mediocre the rest of the season.