Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Congratulations to Az's younger son
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:50 pm 

Az is too modest to post this information, so let me be the proud newsbearer and report that his younger son, Sam, participated in the 1-meter and 3-meter Western Region diving championships this week at the USC campus. The Western region is one of the toughest in the nation in terms of diving competition. Az's son WON BOTH EVENTS!!

That is a very signifcant accomplishment, but certainly not a surprise as Az's son is a national champion in the 1-meter. I was fortunate enough to visit Az and see his son compete yesterday, including one dive that earned a perfect 10 from one judge. (Well-deserved, I might add.)

So, congratulations to Az.

Post subject: Re: Congratulations to Az's younger son
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:14 pm 

I must reciprocate the props to Bucfan whose son is developing into a stud pitcher with a bat to go with it. He plays for a top tier SoCal high school which is one of the 2 or 3 baseball hotbeds of America. We were jokingly discussing how both of our sons were beginning to lean towards the "darkside" of the game (pitching). It is not an easy choice for players who have above average skills in both areas of the game. Bucfan also has knowledge of the diving game too with a daughter who is an accomplished tower diver, probably the most unnerving of all diving events. Thanks again for the support at USC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

A tower diver? Geez, I still pencil into the pool from a high-dive.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:38 pm 

Congratulation to you both. Not so much for their accomplishments, although they are certainly considerable, but on the fact that you both love your kids and they are obviously the most important things in your lives.

I understand and share that feeling because my two kids are adults and out in the world finding their own way. They are pretty successful in life and more important are happy and respected by their peers.

As I age, I see and feel the importance of family more and more. I'm lucky to be from a large family, so that when something goes wrong, there are plenty of people who care and will do anything they can to make it right.

Sorry, I know this is not baseball, but I felt it worth saying especially to some of the younger guys who post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:50 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Congratulation to you both. Not so much for their accomplishments, although they are certainly considerable, but on the fact that you both love your kids and they are obviously the most important things in your lives.

No truer words could be spoken.

Substitute2 wrote:
I understand and share that feeling because my two kids are adults and out in the world finding their own way. They are pretty successful in life and more important are happy and respected by their peers.

Sorry, I know this is not baseball, but I felt it worth saying especially to some of the younger guys who post.

I miss my daughter a ton . . . she is away at college and will be finishing her senior year. I am hopeful that she attends grad school in So Cal, so that she can hang out with dad! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:54 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
A tower diver? Geez, I still pencil into the pool from a high-dive.

Az noted yesterday that one diver had missed quite a bit of time diving because he smacked off the tower and suffered a broken back . . . a little scary watching your child dive tower.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:22 pm 

We received a call on the way home yesterday from one of our tower guys in the 14-15 year old division that one of the divers opened up from his tuck way too soon and hit the tower with his feet. Fortunately he was not seriously injured other than a scraped up foot. Not for the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:11 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We received a call on the way home yesterday from one of our tower guys in the 14-15 year old division that one of the divers opened up from his tuck way too soon and hit the tower with his feet. Fortunately he was not seriously injured other than a scraped up foot. Not for the faint of heart.

Obviously, Az and I are big baseball fans. But we appreciate the effort and physical skill necessary for a sport like diving.

And talk about guts ... Bucfan's daughter hit her right arm on the 1-meter board during the first round of a meet in 2007, opening up a very large gash on the arm. She had the trainer put a bandage on the arm, and wrap the arm to protect the wound from getting soaked, and continued diving.

She was obviously not going to make the top 8 (and move into the championship round) on the 1-meter, but would not quit. She also had the misfortune of smacking off the platform once - and had bruises up and down her back and two cracked ribs to to show for it. Football players think they are tough ... pffft. And hey, divers keep diving in the rain, Bullish. (Not lightning, though. Not a good idea to go up on a really high platform in the midst of a thunderstorm.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:59 pm 

Bucfan, the last three lines of your previous post made my day. LOL!!!!