Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Braves interested in Nady
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Per Jason Stark on ESPN.com...

Teams that have checked in with Atlanta about the availability of Mark Teixeira have been told the Braves aren't hanging any "For Sale" signs until at least the end of next week. If they can hang close in the East through the first series after the All-Star break, then Teixeira stays and they're likely to resume their efforts to add a bat (with Xavier Nady now clearly at the top of their wish list). But if the Braves slide any further, they'll almost certainly conclude they're too banged up to make a run, and the Teixeira auction will begin. The Braves would be likely to start that bidding by asking for a young first baseman who could replace him.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

Post subject: Re: Braves interested in Nady
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:44 pm 

Would it be weird if we started rooting for the Braves to win?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:04 pm 

Willton wrote:

I don't have any particular desire to see Nady traded. I understand the economics and all that, but as I will probably be dead before the Pirates have a winning season, I like us to keep players who give me hope that we might just win a game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:30 pm 

Nady has become quite a solid peformer - a bit of a late bloomer. He consistently hits the ball with authority, and has a plus throwing arm.

That being said, we need to trade either him or Bay, to get some pitching in here, and to keep the payroll manageable.

I say we trade Nady now BEFORE his next leg injury.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:55 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Willton wrote:

I don't have any particular desire to see Nady traded. I understand the economics and all that, but as I will probably be dead before the Pirates have a winning season, I like us to keep players who give me hope that we might just win a game.

Well, I hopefully won't be dead before the Pirates reach the playoffs, and I'd like to see the Pirates do as much as they can to reach that goal. I don't see keeping Nady as furthering that goal; I see it as furthering the status quo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:51 pm 

As an avid fan trades are sometimes hard to deal with. I have grown to be one of Bay's biggest fans and would hate to see him traded. However in the back of my mind I know it probably is best for the future improvement of the team. Same can be said of Nady. He seems like a likable guy and has really come into his own this year. However, as Ralphie pointed out, with his injury history this is probably the best time by far to trade him.

And let's face it McCutcheon is NOT staying in AAA much longer. Maybe through the end of August tops. Next year he will be your starting centerfielder. So someone has to go. And if they are sold on Pearce then LaRoche's name may start to come up in trade talks as well. If he continues to hit well you may be able to pawn him off on someone and get maybe a reasonable prospect in return.